• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
OK…I’ll ask…is Ward wrong on this? Are -22’s currently limited to a “30 minute range”? I can see that as a safety standard until more data is collected, repairs made, or crew competence updated, but is there a “rest of the story” here?
Didn’t watch the video, but unfortunately we are now required to have a divert (ship or shore) within 30 minutes of any point on our planned route of flight. Long-range overwater flights are pretty much completely out of the question at the moment.

exNavyOffRec

He's not wrong per se, he's just made a habit lately of producing overwrought And Now the Real Inside Tactical War Story! YouTube videos out of military news stuff that's actually routine or not a big deal. Given his background, he damn well knows better. Shamelessly using his creds to clickbait-farm for the airshow nerds and armchair air marshals, in other words.
I saw the headlines about this and just thought it was an "old man yelling at clouds" thing again.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
OK…I’ll ask…is Ward wrong on this? Are -22’s currently limited to a “30 minute range”? I can see that as a safety standard until more data is collected, repairs made, or crew competence updated, but is there a “rest of the story” here?
I guess the question is do clickbait titles and genuinely obvious facts repeated as DeEp iNtEl improve the public discourse or cheapen it? No one is more critical of their own than military aviators (and for good reason) and Ward’s antics are as personally profitable as they are professionally embarrassing. Hopefully folks on the YouTubes can turn elsewhere if they want facts and analysis without needless drama, but this is the internet after all..

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I guess the question is do clickbait titles and genuinely obvious facts repeated as DeEp iNtEl improve the public discourse or cheapen it? No one is more critical of their own than military aviators (and for good reason) and Ward’s antics are as personally profitable as they are professionally embarrassing. Hopefully folks on the YouTubes can turn elsewhere if they want facts and analysis without needless drama, but this is the internet after all..
Many of us do. The thing about avoiding needless drama: it’s quiet. Internet favors the vocal minority. My daughter likens it to all the village idiots now being connected…

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn’t watch the video, but unfortunately we are now required to have a divert (ship or shore) within 30 minutes of any point on our planned route of flight. Long-range overwater flights are pretty much completely out of the question at the moment.
Presumably, this is an interim restriction that will be lifted once the technical issues are resolved, assuaging the anxious hand-wringers in Congress and on social media.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Is there some kind of V-22 emergency that a 30 minute leash would mitigate?

I'm sure there is, just asking.

Last edited:

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Is that a restriction for all services V-22?