• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not trying to be argumentative. Just saying that you were being unduly dismissive of it. VARS had more to it than a one-off stunt. Unfortunately, nice-to-haves don’t last long when it comes to requirements.
Not trying to argue either. Just wanted the larger group to understand that it's not a fielded capability.

Ozarky

pilot
Anybody know anything about the Osprey rollout slated for 2020 to replace the Greyhound? Will this fall under Helo training when the time comes to train pilots? I know I’d be putting it on my dream sheet if it were an option.

Bringing this thread full circle to say I did not in fact put it on my selection sheet back in May. ? But man I sure thought I knew!!!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My understanding is that VRC (and now VRM) uses this unique paint job to identify them as a non-combat cargo aircraft for when they fly into foreign airfields. There was discussion of changing the paint though.
Interesting contrast to AF Air Mobility Command aircraft that use the standard AF combat livery...

Treetop Flyer

pilot
My understanding is that VRC (and now VRM) uses this unique paint job to identify them as a non-combat cargo aircraft for when they fly into foreign airfields. There was discussion of changing the paint though.
Are there places that care? Pretty much any other cargo aircraft as mentioned above is grey

Pags

N/A
pilot
I think there is some type of historical situation, because old AF AMC paint jobs are pretty similar. It'd be interesting to find out why the AF switched and the COD kept it.

View attachment 31700
View attachment 31701
View attachment 31702
View attachment 31703
Thinking out loud: some of the USAF cargo aircraft have more tactical missions then the C-2 does that might be the rationale behind a tactical scheme. Think paradrops and combat approaches (or whatever they call the quick descent into an airport in a threat area).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Pags

N/A
pilot
So I got curious and looked up MIL-STD-2161C and it had this to say:
"5.1.7 Solar heat reflection. With the exception of where tactical paint schemes are employed, the upper surfaces of the fuselage of all land-based cargo, transport, and utility planes shall be painted insignia white, FED-STD-595, color number 17925. The white color shall begin at the top, forward edge of the pilot’s enclosure, extending aft to include the vertical stabilizer and elevator, and extending down each side of the fuselage to the bottom of the windows, in accordance with Appendices C and D."