• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMP: Garands & '03's coming up

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The auctions are for new or more rare rifles. If you look under Service grade and Rack Grade, you will find ones for more like $500.
Right ... on Garands:

Collectibles go for @ $1.5 - 4 K ... depending on the manufacturer, arsenal rework, overall condition, originality, sniper, etc....

Good shooters/parts guns go for around $5 -7 hundred.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great info. Thanks to all.

v/r and r/
G

Right ... on Garands:

Collectibles go for @ $1.5 - 4 K ... depending on the manufacturer, arsenal rework, overall condition, originality, sniper, etc....

Good shooters/parts guns go for around $5 -7 hundred.

Yup, when I got mine a couple weeks ago it was at a pawn shop that I frequent looking for guns. They had a Marlin lever for 250 that I thought they were too proud of. I asked them if they had anything else that they didn't put out yet. He showed me the Garand for $500.00. We settled for $450.00 and the more I look at it the better it looks, so I was happy.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
ROTC & Academy MIDS are qualified per CMP.

If you have an Military ID card it will count as affiliation and training...

PM me if you need more info. Or go to www.odcmp.com

And they will have Carbines available soon!

Awesome! Too bad the same doesn't hold true for the NRA membership:(

Also I love the avatar MB...

H20man

Drill baby drill!
ROTC & Academy MIDS are qualified per CMP.

If you have an Military ID card it will count as affiliation and training...

PM me if you need more info. Or go to www.odcmp.com

And they will have Carbines available soon!

Many thanks. All I have to do now is wait for them to come out and get the notary to sign the papers.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UPPDATE from the CMP website:

wp_6.jpg

(note --- the Paratrooper models (bottom in the picture) will NOT be in the CMP sales)

LATEST CMP SALES NEWS - 16 FEB 2007.

M1 CARBINE SALES. We have started the inspection of the M1 Carbines that were recently transferred to the CMP. Because the carbines were received with the bolts removed and many are in heavy preservative, the process is taking longer than expected. The carbines will not be ready for sale on 1 March. We will begin accepting carbine orders for Inland carbines on 30 April, 2007. Carbine orders received prior to 30 April will be returned to the sender. Other manufacturers will not be available until later in the year. At this time no decisions have been made as to pricing. We are not accepting orders or establishing waiting lists at this time. Please see http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm. We will post new information as it becomes available. Next CMP Sales update is planned for 23 March.

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
Need some assistance.

I'm looking at an M1 at a local dealer, but I'm not well-versed in the Garand itself. Is there any other particulars to look at other than throat and muzzle gauge numbers? The physical condition is great compared to others I have seen for sale, just trying to make sure I'm making the right move. Seller's description is below...

"Springfield M1 Garand. WW II era receiver made in 1943. Springfield 1-44 barrel. 30-06. Good to Very Good wood. Very Good to Excellent Metal. Perfect bore except for very light pitting towards the muzzle. Serial number 2,511,XXX. No Import Marks."

Selling price is $799, which seems very good. Garand experts let me know what you think...

MasterBates

If the bore gauges out well and it headspaces correctly, it's not bad, depending on how nice it is..

Ask if the timing has been checked, and ask to see the OpRod and Gas cylinder.. If those have bad pitting it may be used as a negotiation point

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...."Springfield M1 Garand. WW II era receiver made in 1943. Springfield 1-44 barrel. 30-06. Good to Very Good wood. Very Good to Excellent Metal. Perfect bore except for very light pitting towards the muzzle. Serial number 2,511,XXX. No Import Marks."

Selling price is $799......

Buy it.

If I were able to see it and examine the various parts --- I might even entertain the concept that it is collectible. If so ... $800 is a very good price.

The receiver and the barrel match for production month in January 1944 --- so they have probably been together since day one. Cartouches (inspector stamps on the wood) would be nice --- you don't mention that --- but $800 today for a non-import, good+ wood (matching color?), VG+ metal, "perfect"(?) bore ..... that's a good price, senor.

Buy it ... if I didn't already say that ....

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
Thanks MB and A4's!
The dealer has a few others in stock, but most have more muzzle wear or wood cracks, and their prices reflect it, being 50-100 bucks less than this particular one.
Might have to get this as my "acceptance to CG OCS/flight school present" to myself. (hopefully) I won't find that out for 5-6 weeks, but I will jump on this rifle now...thanks again for the help.

Will post pics when I have it in hand :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I will jump on this rifle now...thanks again for the help.
Obviously, I can't examine it .... but if it's as good as you state --- you just made @ $300-$400 when you walk it out the door. Maybe more .... :)

Believe it.