• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Close Call!

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
An IFT. Found probably smoking in the head or at the galley vent or sleeping next to the P-chutes, waiting for the opportunity to yank a box out of the rack, smash it with a hammer or flashlight, reattach the plugs and kick it back into the rack. Then the gear works, just like magic...

We had been having problems with our one of our UHF radios while we were out in Sig and called our IFT to see if he could do anything. I had just got out of the seat and what do I see the IFT do? Pull the RT out and drop it from about chest high before sticking it back into the rack. Didn't have a problem with that radio again. I can think of no logical explanation for why that would work, but it did.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
... smash it with a hammer or flashlight... Then the gear works, just like magic...

... drop it from about chest high... Didn't have a problem with that radio again. I can think of no logical explanation for why that would work...

Maybe a cold solder ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_solder_joint )? I had an old car with an intermittent relay that would work just fine using some Rick James troubleshooting on my dashboard (technique only). My passengers didn't always know what to think about that... and it wasn't even an airplane. :)

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
"The commanding officer who just assumed command a week ago." Talk about a welcoming present! Seriously though I'm concerned over the fall out of this. I'm extremely curious what the circumstances were but I know that's not for public forums. Should be an interesting Monday....

Flugelman

Contributor
An IFT. Found probably smoking in the head or at the galley vent or sleeping next to the P-chutes, waiting for the opportunity to yank a box out of the rack, smash it with a hammer or flashlight, reattach the plugs and kick it back into the rack. Then the gear works, just like magic...

LMAO... :)

One of my favorites was when the ASA-16 (P3-B TACCO Scope) wouldn't pick up a marker and it would go zipping across the screen at 3 second intervals. Open the door next to SS3 position and apply a hefty size 10 boot to the big black box. Problem solved...

As far as smoking in the head or galley, we could smoke anywhere. :icon_tong

Flugelman

Contributor
We had been having problems with our one of our UHF radios while we were out in Sig and called our IFT to see if he could do anything. I had just got out of the seat and what do I see the IFT do? Pull the RT out and drop it from about chest high before sticking it back into the rack. Didn't have a problem with that radio again. I can think of no logical explanation for why that would work, but it did.

It's called percussion alignment...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My S-3 buddies said they did the same drop re-alignment. It would re-seat the cards in the box without opening it up.

-ea6bflyr ;)

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!

IFT wizardry. Too bad in this case, simple physics turned it into a bad day.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a miracle this doesn't happen more. It's very easy for the buoy's locking mechanism to give you a false locked feeling when they're being loaded. Nice work, LM.

Brett

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
It's a miracle this doesn't happen more. It's very easy for the buoy's locking mechanism to give you a false locked feeling when they're being loaded. Nice work, LM.

Brett

I don't think its a miracle because if everyone does their job those bouys have hands on at least 4 times before that plane is wheels up.

On another note when I checked them if I found more than 3 that were loose I would reload the entire belly. In fact I recall one time when I was on a Det in Whidbey I found 4 that were loose. So I performed my standard reload. Then my TACCO comes out of his brief and wanted all the setting changed. Two reloads in one day was a pain. I learned to check the bouys after the TACCO shows up after that one.