• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Close Call!

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
You can almost hear the sphincters tightening up on this one...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Great comment from someone there in Jax:

"The sonobouys are used for submarine hunting. Obviously the P-3 was tracking a sub in the refrigerator. The sub was located on the second shelf, 3.5 inches from the right panel and 6" from the refrigerator front door. The sub had mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, ham, roast beef, capacola with a touch of salt & pepper on a whole wheat roll. It was wrapped in aluminum foil to try and hide it's detection but the sonobuoy and the trained experts in the P-3 were too good.
You can run but you cannot hide from the professional flight crews of the P-3C Orion.
Chief Corky"

Falls under the "shit happens" file...why we do continuity checks...

Pickle

exhelodrvr

pilot
We had a problem in the H-3s for awhile that vibrations (i.e. of the level that you get taking off/hovering/on short final) would cause the sonobuoys to jettison themselves. They eventually fixed the problem, but for awhile the aircrewmen had to wait with loading them until after takeoff, and had to unload any loaded tubes prior to landing/small deck ops. Just prior to the change on when the tubes were loaded, one dropped on the helo deck of a frigate, just missing one of the crewmen, during hoisting ops. And I had 12 of them jettison all at once about 50 yards astern of a frigate while coming in for a landing. (A little tighter than the normal search pattern, but if a sub got anywhere close, I figure one of the buoys would pick him up!)

H60Gunner

Contributor
Dang! That was close. Had something similar happen in Japan.

There is a DIFAR in a little town's museum here, no locals knew what it was or where it came from. It is in pretty decent shape with the hydrophone deployed so I don't think it was a TFOA.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
In 7th fleet we never loaded the tubes or moved ammo cans until we were feet wet just in case.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Yeah, you guys always blamed everything on us, but who did you call when you forgot to turn a piece of gear on??? :icon_tong

That would be me. As a brand new fleet NAV/COMM and know-nothing Ensign, I couldn't figure out why the Omega (ARN-99, not the better LTN-211) wasn't working during preflight, so I called for the IFT. Salty old AT1 Scafe appeared at my side and listened as I explained my problem. He then looked up at the power switch on my console, and as he flipped it from "OFF" to "ON," he said: "Sir, SIR, O-F-F does not mean On Full Force!"

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, you guys always blamed everything on us, but who did you call when you forgot to turn a piece of gear on??? :icon_tong

An IFT. Found probably smoking in the head or at the galley vent or sleeping next to the P-chutes, waiting for the opportunity to yank a box out of the rack, smash it with a hammer or flashlight, reattach the plugs and kick it back into the rack. Then the gear works, just like magic...