• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Classing up for API

Pags

N/A
pilot
I know all you guys are waiting on pins and needles to start, but try to enjoy the time you have right now before you get into this whole vicious cycle. One day you'll look back on API as nothing more than an outlet of bitter instructors and only a small blip in your career.

So, try to enjoy the town as much as you can. I'm sure you'll all be called soon enough. Good luck to you.

It was very weird being back in that building after a 3yr hiatus...getting called "sir" by all the studs as I went to buy some geedunk. I walked past a group of studs waiting impatiently for test results...the stress was palpable.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I'd give my middle nut to be back in API. Or at least A-pool. 8 months of paid vacation. But I hear now studs are being put to work. Sucks for them.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd give my middle nut to be back in API. Or at least A-pool. 8 months of paid vacation. But I hear now studs are being put to work. Sucks for them.

I too sat for 8-9 months doing nothing but drinking, partying, getting laid by the local P-cola not so hotties. Those were the times :D

jnb921

I finished IFS yesterday and I start API tomorrow. There are still 9 seats open for this API class though. There has been an issue with not meeting quota's for API classes since they centralized IFS in the Pcola area and took it away from rotc units. So, just a heads up to those in IFS now and those reporting to A-Pool IFS complete, you might class up for API real quick. IFS is still pretty backed up though.

I am supposed to check in at the beginning of October and I still have to do IFS. Just wondering how backed up is IFS? Even though I am sure by the time I get down there it could be completely different.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I am supposed to check in at the beginning of October and I still have to do IFS. Just wondering how backed up is IFS? Even though I am sure by the time I get down there it could be completely different.

There's about 360 ensigns in A-pool right now. That number will decrease, but the best way to ensure that you get into IFS quickly is to have an FAA physical before you report. I checked in on the 5th of July and am starting IFS at the end of this month. The guys who I graduated with and who reported to P-cola without the FAA physical are just now getting them. It's a big bottleneck right now.

Now, if you want to sit on your ass for a few months, eventually get a stash job, or get volun-told to do ASTB testing (which sucks horribly) or stand quarter deck watch at schools command, don't. It's your call. As it stands now, you'll approximately double your wait time if you show up down here without one. So, to answer your question: It depends on how prepared you are to start training when you show up here.

jnb921

There's about 360 ensigns in A-pool right now. That number will decrease, but the best way to ensure that you get into IFS quickly is to have an FAA physical before you report.

Anyway I can get the Navy to pay for that one, or do I just find a local place around here to get an FAA physical and do it myself

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
3rd class medicals are around $100...not a bad deal if you don't want to wait around for months...

There's a doc who will do them for $50-75 at Western Florida Hospital (I think). Do your research before shelling out money for it.

Better yet.. If you are near an airbase while you are waiting to come down here, call their branch medical clinic and ask to schedule an FAA physcial with one of the flight docs. My FAA physcial was free.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Yeah.. It's great to see guys who've been here for one week starting up already. Kinda sucks to be them, though. I've enjoyed my time off.

As far as being NOMI incomplete.. On the physical disposition sheet (the other paper you can get from NOMI) there's two boxes, if the box that says "can continue with flight training" is checked, the STUD can start API.

It's still kinda wierd, though.