• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Classics & Antiques

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
No accessories, but here is my driveway.

The Vette is a '75 that I have had for over 18 years. Was a daily driver for 9 years and drove it cross country twice.

The 308 is a '77. Quad down draft Webers with a 7000 rpm redline. Retirement gift to self.

Truck is the bad weather driver and parts hauler.

1320016123.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
You've actually found a way to make retirement look even MORE attractive. . .

No kidding. Mine was a bit cheaper Italian. 76 Alfa Spider - here on the way to safety school in Monterey circa 95. Donated it to the Purple Heart organization a couple years ago. Just didn't drive it much and didn't have much space in the garage with a 4Runner and 535iX there.

AlfaonPCH.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No accessories, but here is my driveway.

The Vette is a '75 that I have had for over 18 years. Was a daily driver for 9 years and drove it cross country twice.

The 308 is a '77. Quad down draft Webers with a 7000 rpm redline. Retirement gift to self.

Truck is the bad weather driver and parts hauler.

Out of curiosity, how "painful" is it to own a 308? I've always thought they were beautiful but I've always wondered how expensive/often the maintenance was. I had an on-wing (who might be on AW, not sure) who said he's always wanted one. It was always a discussion that would come up, with me telling him the cost was probably more than he'd think it was and him saying that it didn't matter because they were cool.

Yours is gorgeous, by the way.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Out of curiosity, how "painful" is it to own a 308? I've always thought they were beautiful but I've always wondered how expensive/often the maintenance was. I had an on-wing (who might be on AW, not sure) who said he's always wanted one. It was always a discussion that would come up, with me telling him the cost was probably more than he'd think it was and him saying that it didn't matter because they were cool.

Yours is gorgeous, by the way.

A major service (belts, valve lash, etc) goes for about $4500 at a mechanic every 30k miles. If you can work on cars yourself, you can do it for probably $1500 in parts. 308/328 series is really the last Ferrari that you can work on at home. I have a friend who puts $200 to $300 every month into the "car" account. So, when you do a major every 3-5 years, the money is there.

So, you have to do you homework. But it handles so well and sounds so good as the tach winds from 4000 to 7000 rpm. Great fun on some of the back roads in MD. And I get to drive a Ferrari to work.

MasterBates

So THAT is what I could have gotten with a retirement.

Beach House
Garage Full of Bikes
Bitchin' Car..

I get to pick one. At least the one I have is a tax writeoff.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A major service (belts, valve lash, etc) goes for about $4500 at a mechanic every 30k miles. If you can work on cars yourself, you can do it for probably $1500 in parts. 308/328 series is really the last Ferrari that you can work on at home. I have a friend who puts $200 to $300 every month into the "car" account. So, when you do a major every 3-5 years, the money is there.

So, you have to do you homework. But it handles so well and sounds so good as the tach winds from 4000 to 7000 rpm. Great fun on some of the back roads in MD. And I get to drive a Ferrari to work.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I've always said when I "Make It", I'll get a Porsche 912, late 60s vintage. Good stuff guys.

phrogpilot73

Unless HMX-1 changed in the last couple of years, they fly the Sea Pig in CONUS because it has a higher cabin height so the prez can stand up getting on and off the helo.

They use the H-60 overseas since the Hawk can be folded and stuffed in a C-5/17 without taking the whole rotor head off the aircraft requiring more maintenance and an FCF when the get to the destination.
You're correct, they'll fly the H-3 CONUS as much as possible. However, short-fused missions, they'll roll with the H-60 CONUS for the exact reasons you mentioned. Takes less time to re-position...