• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Clarification on listing SNA and NFO on application

Python

pilot
Contributor
Better clarification. All my research pointed towards NFOs as co-pilots and the pipelines I found showed them going through API and Primary.

And this is what this forum is for anyway.

They go through API. API is academic and water survival.

They go through primary, but 99% of the flight time is "riding shotgun" in a T-6 instead of actually flying it. Pilot primary the student is in the front actually flying it.

NFOs. Are. Not. Copilots.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don’t want to close this fucking dumpster fire of a thread, because the OP actually did his research and read-ahead and made a valid request for clarification. But how about, if you don’t have an answer to the question, maybe don’t answer? Just a thought.

1C9B8005-0FF4-45C4-8763-A1C36DC35D62.gif

exNavyOffRec

Hello all,

I've seen Rufio mention this a couple times, saying that you should not list NFO unless youre willing to be one. I'm willing to do so, and thats not really my question, I just wanted to preemt the people telling me to search the forums for this answer. Based on what I've read on this website, I've gathered that even if I'm competitive and selectable for SNA, if I put NFO as my 2nd choice, there is a chance I will get NFO instead of pilot. However, when I spoke to my recruiter this past weekend (who has done a LOT to get me to this point, so I trust him very much), he said that the only way I would get NFO instead of pilot is if I were not selected pilot but I was picked up for NFO. Basically he was saying that there is no point not listing NFO as a choice because it would have no effect on whether I got SNA or not. He said that the board would review my application for SNA, and if I didn't get selected for that, only then would I be evaluated for NFO. So my question is, am I understanding him correctly, and is he understanding the new procedures correctly?

Thanks!

Why mess around with putting NFO down, just put down SNA if you don't get SNA on the first board then apply for both next time.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello all,

I've seen Rufio mention this a couple times, saying that you should not list NFO unless youre willing to be one. I'm willing to do so, and thats not really my question, I just wanted to preemt the people telling me to search the forums for this answer. Based on what I've read on this website, I've gathered that even if I'm competitive and selectable for SNA, if I put NFO as my 2nd choice, there is a chance I will get NFO instead of pilot. However, when I spoke to my recruiter this past weekend (who has done a LOT to get me to this point, so I trust him very much), he said that the only way I would get NFO instead of pilot is if I were not selected pilot but I was picked up for NFO. Basically he was saying that there is no point not listing NFO as a choice because it would have no effect on whether I got SNA or not. He said that the board would review my application for SNA, and if I didn't get selected for that, only then would I be evaluated for NFO. So my question is, am I understanding him correctly, and is he understanding the new procedures correctly?

Thanks!

It's obvious you are not 100% onboard being an NFO. Apply for SNA only. Do not be "that guy" who starts a thread about having doubts when selected for NFO.

aribjc

I definitely get what y'all are saying, and I appreciate all the responses. Like I said, I would prefer SNA but I would be extremely happy as an NFO. I'll definitely consider only putting SNA down, but since I've been waiting so long to get to a board, I'm not eager to find out that I didn't get selected and then wait the mandatory 6 months or however long it is until the next aviation board. Sounds like this is just something I'll need to decide for myself. Just to make sure I've got this correct though, I'm gathering from what everyone is saying that even if they might want me as a pilot, if the navy needs NFO's more they'll just give me that even if they would have selected me for pilot had I not listed NFO?

Also thanks for not closing the thread, this is the exact info I needed!

exNavyOffRec

I definitely get what y'all are saying, and I appreciate all the responses. Like I said, I would prefer SNA but I would be extremely happy as an NFO. I'll definitely consider only putting SNA down, but since I've been waiting so long to get to a board, I'm not eager to find out that I didn't get selected and then wait the mandatory 6 months or however long it is until the next aviation board. Sounds like this is just something I'll need to decide for myself. Just to make sure I've got this correct though, I'm gathering from what everyone is saying that even if they might want me as a pilot, if the navy needs NFO's more they'll just give me that even if they would have selected me for pilot had I not listed NFO?

Also thanks for not closing the thread, this is the exact info I needed!

We just don't want you to get picked NFO and be "that guy", you know that guy that wishes they were a SNA, that guy that wishes he could go back and list only SNA, etc..... if you get picked up NFO and are happy than great, if you get picked up SNA then good for you.

Life is too short to put something down in order to save 6 months out of a career, I mean you could be going across the street and get run over by a self driving Uber.

agriz33

I'm just another loser applicant so take my advice for what it's worth but I feel fine applying SNA/NFO because NFO is still a helluva a lot better than what I would be doing otherwise, if you do both and don't get SNA but do get NFO you can ride shotgun in jets, if you only apply SNA and don't get it you're driving a Mazda to work at the cubicle farm or as assistant manager at the Crab Shack (or whatever you do now).

My 2¢
Woah... Do you have something against Mazdas? ?

ArmendarizW

So basically what I have read here is: If I want to be a pilot and nothing else, then apply for SNA. If I don't get it then I can just reapply for SNA and hope to get it the next time.

I have a meeting with a recruiter on monday and I am just reading the hell out of these forums. So if I want to be a pilot for the Navy....apply only for SNA. Do I have that correct? I think I can read but I love to double check.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So basically what I have read here is: If I want to be a pilot and nothing else, then apply for SNA. If I don't get it then I can just reapply for SNA and hope to get it the next time.

I have a meeting with a recruiter on monday and I am just reading the hell out of these forums. So if I want to be a pilot for the Navy....apply only for SNA. Do I have that correct? I think I can read but I love to double check.

Yes