• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Clarification on another Navy rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricechex

You gotta love 'em, another rumor going around in the Navy. It makes me want to laugh just thinking about some of the things people have told me in my short time in the Navy.

Anyways, I was told that the STA-21 program doesn't except married people because they don't want to fork out the extra money for dependants while the person is in school. The more I think about it, the more I question its legitamacy but I want to know of anyone that has gone through recently while married.

F414Guy

...and don't forget. You’re not eligible if you have red hair and can jump on a pogo stick for a minute straight.

Seriously, here is a link to STA 21 if you had not seen it yet. If I'm not mistaken the navy use to have a program called BOOST (maybe still do) that you had to be single to apply.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/er.html

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was the guy that worked with packages and did interviews on the Stennis.

Tips for STA-21...have all your high school, college, junior college transcripts in hand...START NOW collecting them. Also take the SAT or ACT early and often...your best scores are the only ones that matter.
Packages that are waiting just for SAT scores are not submitted. Apply year after year if it is really what you want. Perseverance matters and makes for a better package.

Good luck,
G

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
That's funny the Navy didn't seem to object to my wife and three kids when I was selected for the FY-02 cycle of the STA-21 Program. You really ought to smack whoever told you this nonsense.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
LOL, no, a friend's hubby got STA last year, they already had one kid, and the wife gave birth to baby #2 while he was at NSI. Nobody mentioned a thing about it when my hubby was putting his package together for this year (and we've got 2 kids.)

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
Also- what "extra money" would the Navy be giving out? The person who told you this probably also thinks that the rumor that your pay increases with each child you have is true :p (That was my favorite bit of crap that the recruiter told us.)

cricechex

Thanks for the clarification. I have read the STA-21 website, but I thought they wouldn't put that kind of info on there anyway. schnuggapup, Do I need a new set of transcripts for the packet other than the ones that are already in my record? I mean official set, ie. in a sealed envelope?

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
NukeWife said:
Also- what "extra money" would the Navy be giving out? The person who told you this probably also thinks that the rumor that your pay increases with each child you have is true :p (That was my favorite bit of crap that the recruiter told us.)

Single guys don't get as much BAH money and are subject to live in govt quarters. They actually used to give more money per dependant until they realized that was stupid and gave everyone the same money whether they had 1 or 50 kids/wives.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
jg5343 said:
Single guys don't get as much BAH money and are subject to live in govt quarters. They actually used to give more money per dependant until they realized that was stupid and gave everyone the same money whether they had 1 or 50 kids/wives.

Yeah, I knew that, the rumor seemed to imply that the Navy would be paying additional money for families if the guys got accepted into STA; when in reality, the Navy is shelling out the same for a STA family vs a non-STA family.

KimberlyD

That's funny, my husband made it into the program while married, with a child & flame red hair! I'll have to pick up a Pogo stick & see if he has any skill there! Another rumor, anyone heard anything ab AMDO opening up to STA-21 commissionees???? I'm looking for concrete info, thanks!

JEEPER1219

Can anyone give me some clear information on what happened to the Stennis packages from last year? I heard that they were all disqualified due to the 2nd command interviews were not completed and the CC told all the candidates that everything was taken care of and that they didn't need them. Is there any truth to this claim. My source was a candidate, but she is not all that reliable for the truth.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
Well, while we're on the subject of rumors...

Supposedly, the STA board has reconvened in Millington, TN, and the results are supposed to be out sometime b/n Oct. 12-22.

I heard that from a civilian who works at the CCC's office at another base. While he has no reason to make anything up, he IS a little nutty...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
missing apps???

JEEPER1219 said:
Can anyone give me some clear information on what happened to the Stennis packages from last year? I heard that they were all disqualified due to the 2nd command interviews were not completed and the CC told all the candidates that everything was taken care of and that they didn't need them. Is there any truth to this claim. My source was a candidate, but she is not all that reliable for the truth.

Let me ask a couple of questions and I bet I can kill that rumor. You will find that type of info is often not quite 100% accurate when someone is *****ing and moaning about not getting accepted for something. During my tenure, we did have packages not get sent due to late/missing transcripts. A common problem.
I work with an officer who just left the stennis 6 months ago. I'll see what she has heard.
BTW, I left in July 2002...so please don't shoot the messenger.
Cheers,
G

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
not to threadjack here but schnugg, in that avatar you kind of look like simon from american idol.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
F414Guy said:
... If I'm not mistaken the navy use to have a program called BOOST (maybe still do) that you had to be single to apply.

Didn't have to be single 4 years ago when I went through it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.