• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CJCS responds to Rep. Gaetz

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I don't know if I can hannibal this latest twist

(age restricted, pfff, it's some fine thespianism by Sir Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman along with some real live hogs playing hungry hungry hippos)

Alternative pig history:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Apologies for going really off-topic here, but do we have a thread on the If War Comes, Will the U.S. Navy Be Prepared? story recently published in the WSJ? I swear that we did here but now I can't find it...
Not sure we have a thread on that specific article or if anyone has even linked it yet (I think you might be the first), but it's a recurring theme around here for sure and for some time:

The Navy has improved its pipeline for surface-warfare officers since the 2017 collisions, reversing a 2003 money-saving mistake of training junior officers by giving them 23 compact discs loaded with reading material.

I'd say it's been a theme even longer than that. Around the same time we robustly mocked SWOS-in-a-box, I vaguely remember a Proceedings article about bureaucratic distractions like dental readiness (Air Force zoomies call that stuff "qweep") taking focus away from being good at driving the ship and fighting the ship, and similarly lamenting how the Cold War gave people a sense of purpose. Sadly, the people who were the first JOs to not go to real SWOS (and everything else that was wrong about the drawdown and early post-9/11 era) will soon be flags. We've fixed more difficult problems in the history of the Navy, but I'm still worried.

Mirage

pilot
From the article:
"Extensive psychological and social research has found that caucasians favor color-blindness more than people of color"
Why do you think this is? He claims it's because racist white people want to pretend they are not racist. Not sure how that makes sense at all. To me the answer is obvious.. both POC and white people know that color blindness is the only way that boards cannot discriminate based on race, and everyone also knows that, on average, the boards are going to discriminate using race to the benefit of POC. Am I wrong?

"Although the intent to fairly evaluate promotability is admirable, this approach fails to address the underlying issues that have led to the current status quo."
The status quo he is referring to is that the entire military looks like broader society except at the O-7 and above level, at which point promotions aren't made the same way as for the 99% of the military that his proposed changes would effect. Including the whole idea he's complaining about, which is sterilized boards. He is arguing solutions to a problem that simply doesn't exist.

Would it be great if our flags also looked like the rest of society? Yes. But the makeup of our flags is an indicator that lags by decades, since it takes so long to get to that point. Additionally, white people makeup about 75% of the population. Females choose to join the military at far lower rates then males. There are 43 4 star flags in the military. Therefore, it's hardly surprising most or even all of them are white males at any given time. That's just how statistics works. But if there's a problem there, arguing against sterile O4 boards is irrelevant when white male O4s are already the least selected per capita of any group.

"As an alternative and compromise, the DoN should allow naval officers the opportunity to include a standardized biographical data form in their official promotion packages....This option would provide all members (including those who identify as men and/or caucasian) the opportunity to include information for consideration, if they believe it would be in the best interest of their package—leaving it to the officers to decide what information best completes the picture of who they are as naval leaders."

Gee..I wonder who would "believe it would be in the best interest of their package" to provide their race, gender, etc.? Can you explain how the hell that info is relevant to "the picture of who they are as naval leaders?"

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The lack of female general officers isn’t a problem unless there is actual discrimination taking place. Some professions aren’t chosen by females at a high rate, and that’s ok.

It’s a shame that it holds us back from security cooperation overseas though. /another completely made up and baseless feel-good claim offered on this thread

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not sure we have a thread on that specific article or if anyone has even linked it yet (I think you might be the first), but it's a recurring theme around here for sure and for some time:

The Navy has improved its pipeline for surface-warfare officers since the 2017 collisions, reversing a 2003 money-saving mistake of training junior officers by giving them 23 compact discs loaded with reading material.

I'd say it's been a theme even longer than that. Around the same time we robustly mocked SWOS-in-a-box, I vaguely remember a Proceedings article about bureaucratic distractions like dental readiness (Air Force zoomies call that stuff "qweep") taking focus away from being good at driving the ship and fighting the ship, and similarly lamenting how the Cold War gave people a sense of purpose. Sadly, the people who were the first JOs to not go to real SWOS (and everything else that was wrong about the drawdown and early post-9/11 era) will soon be flags. We've fixed more difficult problems in the history of the Navy, but I'm still worried.
I know I am being both boastful and jingoistic, but I am confident we can beat the Taliban navy in a fight.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

Hey now! I posted this article on page 71, post #1058.

nodropinufaka

The lack of female general officers isn’t a problem unless there is actual discrimination taking place. Some professions aren’t chosen by females at a high rate, and that’s ok.

It’s a shame that it holds us back from security cooperation overseas though. /another completely made up and baseless feel-good claim offered on this thread
Feel free to go tell OSD Policy and all the CCMD flags who have implemented it. I’m sure they’d value your opinion on it.