• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CJCS responds to Rep. Gaetz

nodropinufaka

Does OSD ghetto-ize women by linking them explicitly with peace and security? Does security cooperation suffer when we partner with countries that view women as ill-suited for work outside the home and place women in significant roles? Do citizens of partner countries view ethnic minority Americans more or less favorably than white Americans?
1- I don’t know what you mean by ghetto-ize
2- No. It doesn’t suffer cause the whole point is to work with them to change their perspective and stop the gender disparity through OAIs within the next 5-10 years
3- yes. Some come out and say it and some don’t. And they will look at how many females we have in our armed force as well. Many of the PINs have been messed with by White People for a long time so they’re not exactly super trusting.

nodropinufaka

I’m just incredulous that they’re doing something that CAN’T BE DONE without diversity.
Are you dense?

China is taking the wrong approach and violating Human Rights, which is how they’re doing it.

I don’t understand what you aren’t getting in this scenario.

You want us to become a country that supports human rights violations and gives up on diplomacy and uses executive orders to gain our world influence?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Are you dense?

China is taking the wrong approach and violating Human Rights, which is how they’re doing it.

I don’t understand what you aren’t getting in this scenario.

You want us to become a country that supports human rights violations and gives up on diplomacy and using executive orders to gain our world influence?
You said they’re winning influence because of climate change. Now it’s money? How can that be? Pacific nations just are racists and can’t deal with whites? Why isn’t China diverse?

nodropinufaka

I have no idea what the answer is, but think we should consider whether we are mirroring our own assumed values in the presumptions as to what will resonate with partner nations.

It’s not worked out how you would think. OSD is not planning it as if they’re trying to mirror the United States but rather address the mechanisms that lead to gender disparity (clean water, health, etc)

nodropinufaka

You said they’re winning influence because of climate change. Now it’s money? How can that be? Pacific nations just are racists and can’t deal with whites? Why isn’t China diverse?
Look it’s very clear you have zero experience in security cooperation. Unlike you, I do it for a living and spend a majority of my time overseas with OGAs and State Department.
you keep repeating nonsense and I keep telling you the same thing.

If you want us to be China thats your own opinion.

I’ll make it easy.

Climate Change - Countries near China find it important. US wants to address but China got their first. Now US is trying to reach the PINs and help but China is giving a huge flow of cash to them and US influence isn’t as strong.

Women- Gender disparity in the AOR is high. US is trying to address it as best they can. China is trying to reach these countries first by providing them money free with no requirement for pay back.

in both scenarios and other US Laws we can’t just hand money out like China does. The US and DOD has very specific laws for how money can be distributed to include Leahy vetting, etc.

China doesn’t work like that and grabs influence by spending.

Im not sure what’s hard to understand.

Short

None
I think there is a lot of strength to be found in having the military positioned to draw on the best of America, regardless of race or gender. There is also a potential benefit in having a heterogeneous force from a messaging standpoint...you would have to reach back pretty far into antiquity to find a more ethnically diverse force, with the attendant implication that the American empire is vast. I don't know that we have to abandon our current inclination towards a meritocracy, regardless of its flaws, to do so.

I think our challenge is to build cohesion within our teams at a time when the extremes have chosen to put their political tribes above truth.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Look it’s very clear you have zero experience in security cooperation. Unlike you, I do it for a living and spend a majority of my time overseas with OGAs and State Department.
you keep repeating nonsense and I keep telling you the same thing.

If you want us to be China thats your own opinion.

I’ll make it easy.

Climate Change - Countries near China find it important. US wants to address but China got their first. Now US is trying to reach the PINs and help but China is giving a huge flow of cash to them and US influence isn’t as strong.

Women- Gender disparity in the AOR is high. US is trying to address it as best they can. China is trying to reach these countries first by providing them money free with no requirement for pay back.

in both scenarios and other US Laws we can’t just hand money out like China does. The US and DOD has very specific laws for how money can be distributed to include Leahy vetting, etc.

China doesn’t work like that and grabs influence by spending.

Im not sure what’s hard to understand.

You sound like you are terrible at your job. How is China kicking your ass without following your rules?

A minute ago we were losing because of climate change. Now you’ve abandoned that bullshit entirely.

Short

None
It’s not worked out how you would think. OSD is not planning it as if they’re trying to mirror the United States but rather address the mechanisms that lead to gender disparity (clean water, health, etc)

Widespread differences in culture codified by centuries of tradition? Our track record in resolving wicked problems in our own country is less than optimal and I remain amazed at the optimism with which we embark on engaging these problems in countries we are less familiar with.

Mirage

pilot
But they don’t give negative points if you’re white?

the whole person approach is exactly how it sounds.
Let me refresh your memory:
Do I think major command should be given to a minority of female simply because of gender or race? Of course not. When you’re in charge of people’s lives that isn’t the time for it.

Do I think that promotions needs to ensure that they’re is diversity when promoting? Absolutely. See point one.

Diversity should be taken into consideration but not the only consideration and that’s what the navy does
You imply in the above that you understand that they do give negative points if you're white and if you're male. If you're going to reverse on this, then I'll ask again... do you think at a selection board, if a white male and a minority female are otherwise equal (or even if the white male is a little better on paper), the board will choose the white male? Everyone knows the answer.

This concept is the law of the land in college admissions and in the corporate world.

There's a case that will likely go to the Supreme Court challenging this very idea, once again, because Asian and White students are being given negative points by colleges due to their skin color. This is fact.

So I ask again... if you were given negative points at a board because of your skin color, would you feel it was racist? I ask because earlier you said affirmative action is not racist.

nodropinufaka

You sound like you are terrible at your job. How is China kicking your ass without following your rules?

A minute ago we were losing because of climate change. Now you’ve abandoned that bullshit entirely.
What are you talking about? I didn't abandon any of it. I wrote what is going on with it right there in the first paragraph.

Can you read?

Do you want us to be a country that spends money and supports the violation of human rights?

nodropinufaka

Widespread differences in culture codified by centuries of tradition? Our track record in resolving wicked problems in our own country is less than optimal and I remain amazed at the optimism with which we embark on engaging these problems in countries we are less familiar with.
Well yea, me too.

But that is the nature of diplomacy.

Better to do something then nothing is what we say.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
What are you talking about? I didn't abandon any of it. I wrote what is going on with it right there in the first paragraph.

Can you read?

Do you want us to be a country that spends money and supports the violation of human rights?
You argued a month ago China was gaining influence because of climate change. That was a dumbfoundingly stupid argument, but now you’re here arguing that it’s impossible to gain influence without dIveRsiTy.

Yet China is gaining influence. Is it because of climate change? Because of money? Because of diversity?

Were you full of shit then or now, or both?

nodropinufaka

Let me refresh your memory:

They do give negative points if you're white and if you're male. If you're going to reverse on this, then I'll ask again... do you think at a selection board, if a white male and a minority female are otherwise equal (or even if the white male is a little better on paper), the board will choose the white male? Everyone knows the answer.

This concept is the law of the land in college admissions and in the corporate world.

There's a case that will likely go to the Supreme Court challenging this very idea, once again, because Asian and White students are being given negative points by colleges due to their skin color. This is fact.

So I ask again... if you were given negative points at a board because of your skin color, would you feel it was racist? I ask because earlier you said affirmative action is not racist.

I actually don't know the answer on what you are suggesting. I didn't agree at all with how military promotions work so I left. That was one of my biggest issues and a reason for resigning. From what I understand your package is only briefed in the tank for 1-2 minutes? How would your package even end up in a tie? Is that possible? Navy promotions seemed to be more based on timing and the golden path then anything else.

Affirmative action isn't racist or discriminatory.

Just like getting veterans preference for a federal job isn't discriminatory against non vets