• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian pilot needing a little advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokepilot

Civilian pilot needing a little info

Hello,
I am a licensed civilian flight instructor and I have a degree in aviation sciences. The commercial pilot job market sucks right now and my student loans are strangling the life out of me. The Navy's current student loan payoff program (LRP) offer looks mighty tempting. Being a pilot, I have always dreamed of flying for uncle sam but I thought it was impossible to get without going to the Naval Academy or college ROTC program. How hard is it realistically to get a pilot slot for an "off the street" 26 year old guy? I'm sure half of all the people walking thru a recruiter's door say they want to be a pilot. Which aircraft typically has the most slots available? How long does it take from first visit to a recruiter to actually getting a class date for OCS? Is there a mandatory retirement age for line pilots in the military?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok first off its not a welfare program it is a commitment to defend your country in time of war. If you decide to pursue this you have to get it right in your head the commitment involved and be doing it for the right reasons. Right now the Navy is over on pilots and it is very competitive not impossible but competitive. The selection process will smell "Im only doing this because the airlines arent hiring" on you vey easily. There are opportunities available but for the right preson and the right reason. As far as aircraft type that is all decided by how you do in flgiht school and the needs of the service and changes week to week. Someone else can fill you in on the details and pregression from recrtuiter and on.
Good luck

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Its possible at 26 but you're getting very near impossible as you must be commissioned by 27. That means application, wait for OCS, and 3 months of OCS before your 27th birthday. Tough situation considering it took 3 months for my application from start to final approval and I was given a 7 month wait for OCS. That's not to say its impossible but you have no time to waste.

I think the Marines give you till 27.5, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not a road to be taken without proper motivation

peanut3479

pilot
I'm not 100% sure about the age 27.5 thing (sounds correct, though), but as far as a timeline from application to commissioning, here's how it went for me. I met my OSO in March, got the flight physical done in late May, finished the application around June, sent it in around early July, the board met in August, and I went to OCS in October, with commissioning in December. Basically, it can be done in less than a year.

That's also for the Marine Corps (OCC class for college grads), and you will definitely have to be a lot more motivated than "the airlines aren't hiring" before an OSO will send in an application for you, much less make it from day 1 at OCS to flight school. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

brokepilot

Hey brokepilot

Look at The Army they will take you up till 32 and the guard units will take you even older than that. That's if you don't mind flying rotory wing, the commitment is six years and you do not need a dagree and their acceptance rate is 90 percent from what I have heard. Also the Army does have airplane's such as Kingair's and some Citations and lear's.

perchul

Well that thing about not needing a degree for the Army is technically true, but funtionally completely false. There are some e-6s who go WOFT without a degree but they're pretty much all crew chiefs. As far as getting the acceptance rate its all garbage...no one who know would tell trust me on this...I've heard 33% to 95% its all crap as far as I'm concerned.

(Passage has been stricken from the record due to terrible shortsightedness on my part...I was angry for reasons not concerning one "brokepilot" and wrongfully vented my frustrations on him) I was out of line and I stand corrected

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
perchul2 said:
Honestly though we all know this guy should not even try. Not trying to be "the dick" but I don't want you working with me just because the civilian job market is lousy; however you did say that you've always wanted to but just thought it wasn't a reality if thats the case the Corps is your best route as far as getting a contract...but if your a fatass your better off playing the lottery.

What the hell is your problem? After a few of your posts, I am beginning to wish that you had never tried.

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
perchul2 said:
Honestly though we all know this guy should not even try. Not trying to be "the dick" but I don't want you working with me just because the civilian job market is lousy; however you did say that you've always wanted to but just thought it wasn't a reality if thats the case the Corps is your best route as far as getting a contract...but if your a fatass your better off playing the lottery.

Like the guy said he always dreamt of flying in the military and obviously has taken steps towards furthering his pilot career already. Just the fact that he is on this site should suggest that the "don't even try" attitude is a bit out of place.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to continue to beat the same drum, but look at the flip side; guys deciding on whether or not to stay in the military. For many the sole reason to stay is because of a lousy commercial job market. It's not fair nor realistic to say that the reason for being in the military is only for the service to country.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac said:
Not to continue to beat the same drum, but look at the flip side; guys deciding on whether or not to stay in the military. For many the sole reason to stay is because of a lousy commercial job market. It's not fair nor realistic to say that the reason for being in the military is only for the service to country.

kmac has hit the nail on the head. History lesson boys, the military typically sees a rise in recruitment during tough economic times. Nothing new at all.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RevnR6 said:
Just the fact that he is on this site should suggest that the "don't even try" attitude is a bit out of place.

Just when John got done asking people not to crap on the newbies, too. Everyone has a mix of motivations for joining up. As much as I wanted to serve my country anyway, the free college was nice too. I'll defer to the OCS guys on the particulars since I didn't go that route, but let's please be a little more receptive.

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Nittany, you quoted me in your post, I just want to clear up that I am on your side of this issue.

perchul

Well I should of edited my post because as it goes on you should recognize that I become more rational...damn I'm sorry.

pittflyer

This is why I can't get into Grad School
pilot
Just got done with an 'OHARP' stint in the NY City area recruiting district. (Awaiting to class up for advanced...6 month wait...pipelines are more than clogged right now. Forgot what an airplane looks like!) As of DEC of 2004, they weren't taking anymore applicants until late FY2006. (A good 15-18 months from now.) To many people not enough slots. (The API pool was about 250 deep a couple of months ago too.) Not trying to burst your bubble, but its going to be tough. Keep in mind this info is about 2 months old.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your age will very likely make you non competitive even if you just got in under the limit. Talk to a recruiter asap. He will have the latest competitive profiles and lead times on apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.