• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Maritime Tailhook Aviation

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Just thinking out of the box: helos already do it, but civilian fixed wing airplanes landing on boats. What is the likelihood that this would ever happen in the future?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
There was talk of building a cruise ship that was so big it had a flat top... But no tail hook, it was long enough to launch and recover aircraft conventionally.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If there was an actual reason to do it that would make money, it could be done. There isn't, so it won't.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
What phrog said.

Re: Statesman, I read about that and say part of a documentary regarding the design process for something that large and robust. I'm not a naval architect, so I can't give specifics, but I do know that they ran into alot of issues building something that big: strength vs weight, hydrodynamic issues, stability issues etc.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What would be the purpose of buying an enormous, multi-billion dollar ship to move civilian airplanes closer to their destinations via the seas?

For civilian applications, you'd just buy a bigger plane.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
USNS VERTREP is already contracted out - is COD that inconceivable?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I don't think the Navy will let a civilian aircraft make an arrested landing on a carrier. Too much that can go wrong and too many things that can go boom & burn if it does.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
USNS VERTREP is already contracted out - is COD that inconceivable?

Interesting idea, maybe some worth to it, but I'd imagine the hiring pool would certainly be senior retired 'hookers. Would be a pretty neat gig to get if it existed! That being said, I'm sure the COD community would do just about anything to keep this from happening

brownshoe

Contributor
Near impossible.

This guy obviously didn’t get the memo. :) (Just kidding.) Pretty neat stuff though.

Steve

Edit: This happened during "Operation Frequent Wind."

Attachments

• midway-804b.jpg
    midway-804b.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 52
  • midway-787b.jpg
    midway-787b.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 50
  • midway-238b.jpg
    midway-238b.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 50

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Interesting idea, maybe some worth to it, but I'd imagine the hiring pool would certainly be senior retired 'hookers. Would be a pretty neat gig to get if it existed! That being said, I'm sure the COD community would do just about anything to keep this from happening

There was a proposal about ten years ago by a certain large military aerospace firm to do exactly that--take over sustainment and operation of the COD's as a service.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Magic...

This guy obviously didn’t get the memo. :) (Just kidding.) Pretty neat stuff though.

Steve

Edit: This happened during "Operation Frequent Wind."

Another of the many examples that inspired the term...Midway Magic :icon_king
If you've been on her, you know!
BzB :sleep_125