• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Fields and Carrier Breaks

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
View attachment 9883

I believe that the "awsomeness" of high speed/low altitude in the break is way overrated. Formation integrity/uniformity and spacing/altitude downwind, whether breaking from echelon or diamond, are the hallmarks of a professional, e.g. "awesome" break.

At least that's how it was back in the middle ages!:eek:

*Thumbnail: My beloved "Blue Diamonds, two A/C generations later, executing the "Missing Man" break for the Squadron COC!
BzB

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...you got it right, Hugh. Wasn't in my first squadron on deployment but a few days, when I was gently counseled re sloppy formation around the ship. (Was probably trying to position the ashtray to put out my last cigarette before trapping.) Anyway, I tightened it up to the max, subsequently never heard another word about it...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
A spread break? How are they getting interval unless they're using different AOB? I certainly don't want to be abeam my wingman on downwind. If you're sequencing using different AOB, it'd be easier to do it from cruise or parade, anyway. A fan break is included as an option in my NATOPS, but I've never seen an especially good reason to do it.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
The AF and French do the combat spread break... in a word, queer. Its like they are afraid to fly close to each other. A beautifully executed four plane fan is where its at.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lead does a normal break, -2 rolls out after 90-degrees of turn momentarily, then turns on downwind. It's designed for providing more mutual support/threat reaction in the terminal environment. Heavies usually do the overhead spiral, tacair often does the combat break. Never done it stateside though.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I can see tactical value in coming to the break in spread if someone is actually chasing you. Depending on who you ask, that's one of the purposes of the break maneuver anyway.

AirPirate

pilot
Squeeze has it right, and it's a yawner -- willfully passing up the opportunity to look good when flying a tactical jet. It's unfathomable.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can see tactical value in coming to the break in spread if someone is actually chasing you. Depending on who you ask, that's one of the purposes of the break maneuver anyway.

If you're not delousing until you're overhead homefield/mom, you're doing it wrong.

isshinwhat

None
I must be hanging around too many AF bases where neither of those goals are held in high regard :confused:. "Fingertip" (parade) is avoided like the plague, airspeed is down at 250. You could probably get another bounce inside the fan-favorite "tac initial" overhead. Yet they can sure depart the field at 450 knots and get joined 20 miles later. Don't even ask about a diamond-break as someone would likely get arrested. meh, I like these guys and all, but seriously...

What bases have fighters on initial at 250?

tlord82

pilot
What is the "tac initial"?

The AF guys in Kadena like to do the tac initial so they can come in over the scattered clouds that usually hang over the field. Then they pick their way through the clouds while descending during the break and on downwind. Came in on the wing of an F-22 for one; pretty much worked like a fan break where -2 just eases his turn a little more....

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
A couple of our IPs (Harrier guys, I think) did the combat break once or twice in El Centro on weps dets, just for the hell of it. And I see the Strike Eagles do it into SJAFB somewhat frequently. I don't know, I think it looks kinda cool, probably just because it's different. But the fan break is without question the most aesthetically pleasing way to enter a VFR pattern....though a nice, snappy 4 sec or reaction break looks pretty good too.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sensing some angst about hitting the break >250 - I.E. "I feel comfortable doing it." WTF? Why wouldn't anyone feel comfortable? It's how things are done - just fucking do it. :)

Brett

The title says it all. Is there anything out there, OPNAV or FAR/AIM, that says that you can't request altitude and airspeed at pilots discretion and fly a reasonable break while on the road?

I just read in Navy Times a few months ago about a F18 pilot getting grounded for flying a break at an uncontrolled airport.

We use to get OKed at smaller controlled airprts but I wouldn't request one at a larger airport unless it was an Airshow weekend.