• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Fields and Carrier Breaks

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The title says it all. Is there anything out there, OPNAV or FAR/AIM, that says that you can't request altitude and airspeed at pilots discretion and fly a reasonable break while on the road?

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
This is one of the questions that came up all the time in TRACOM (going on the road every single weekend). I believe there has to be a MOA per each airfield to go better than 250 below 10K ever, unless an emergency or the formation requires faster (4 plane of goshawks going downhill is damned near impossible to keep below 300).

Tell the stupid hinge you won't do it again.

Slow down and go into blower next time... if it isn't triple nickel it won't be that impressive anyways.

MasterBates

I've requested faster/lower at civilian fields and been approved.

Surprised the controllers at Republic with how fast an E-2 can go down low.

Crazy8

The default from the civilian regulations is 1500' and 250 or 200 knots, depending on the airspace classification. We get automatic wiggle room with an airspeed exception for military training and safe maneuvering speed. Really, it's up to the tower. College Station gave us the carrier break when I was there, and I've had controllers approve break altitude and airspeed at my discretion. How much "discretion" I got to use depended on which IP was in my trunk.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
View attachment 9883
What's the break?

-disappointed sarcasm....

I believe that the "awsomeness" of high speed/low altitude in the break is way overrated. Formation integrity/uniformity and spacing/altitude downwind, whether breaking from echelon or diamond, are the hallmarks of a professional, e.g. "awesome" break.

At least that's how it was back in the middle ages!:eek:

*Thumbnail: My beloved "Blue Diamonds, two A/C generations later, executing the "Missing Man" break for the Squadron COC!
BzB

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I can remember two separate times when checking in with the tower at civilian fields with a flight of two (one was Osh Kosh at the EAA fly-in) and having already started to take separation assuming they would want a straight-in, the tower came back with a request for a "nice, tight and fast, overhead, just like at the ship." We were only too happy to oblige. But back then, we seldom went to civilian fields because of the standing requirement for contract fuel and 8K' of runway.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Just for everyone's info - the tower can not approve faster than 250 below 10k or other FAR speed redtrictions. Only the Administrator (himself) can. Controllers do it all the time but they are opening both themselves and you for a violation.

A couple of years ago, there was a speed experiment in Houston to let planes fly faster than 250 below 10. While this was going on, pilots and controllers started asking for/giving "high speed" clearances in other areas. The FAA clamped down hard and there were violations given and certificate action taken. It was publicized that only the Administrator can authorize it (and not a controller on behalf of the Administrator).

Of course this does not apply to exceeding the speed limits for safety (for example we need to do 260 to be above clean min manuever speed in a max weight 767).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Of course this does not apply to exceeding the speed limits for safety (for example we need to do 260 to be above clean min manuever speed in a max weight 767).
So is that just a given that the ATC will know from you transponder info that you need 260, or do you routinely request/advise when checking in with approach/departure?