• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cirrus

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Metro sure seems sturdy. I knew a guy who was at the controlls of a Wings West Metro in the mid 80s when a prop blade separated at cruise. Sliced into the cabin leaving a huge gash and subsequently the engine was torn off. Fresno was on the nose. All they could do was manage the decent rate a bit but it was enough to make it to Fresno. Until the engine flew off the vibrations made it almost impossible to fly. A few years later at another operation I flew with the pilot's brother. He used his big brother's kit bag investigators found in a field having blown out of the gash in the fuselage at FL240.

Army National Guard used to fly Metros. They still around?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Army National Guard used to fly Metros. They still around?

Air National Guard and the Navy fly them as well. The Navy used to run (still?) a shuttle service between Pt Mugu and China Lake with them, we had a few pilots go down there to fly those as a 'primary' aircraft and DC-130's or NP-3's as a 'secondary' aircraft when they were needed and at least one guy flew the VIP ones out of Italy. Both popular orders for guys who were planning on getting hours and then out.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The Cirrus was at fault. He overshot both his and the parallel final approach paths.

They should not allow GA to do simultaneous parallel approaches to closely spaced runways. Most Cessna or light twin pilots don't have the experience to do it safely. I've seen more than a few overshoots,, almost always GA aircraft.

Keylime Air is freight. They used to be a big pay for training scumbag operation. I haven't followed that kind of things for years so maybe they've changed. At least this pilot has some good skills.

I think key lime now does some passenger Ops. Not sure under which part, though.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I have about 40 hours in the SR20

Definitely a doctor/lawyer killer that the Bonanzas used to be known by. Not a dangerous plane but a lot of stupid people fly them.

I was just joking about this with a buddy yesterday. Every dangerous doctor 'pilot' who would have died in a V tail Bo now owns an SR-20 or -22 and is swimming safely in the shallow end of the piloting gene pool with their CAPS water wings.

HuggyU2

None
There have been a number of cases where the Cirrus CAPS was deployed well outside the envelope, and it still saved lives. It’s an impressive system.

Surprisingly, a CAPS deployment doesn’t always mean the Cirrus will be totaled. I personally would not want mine rebuilt, but they have done it.

Although they get the rap of being the new “doctor killer”, the owner/pilot association is quite aggressive in pushing the safety agenda. And those Cirrus pilots that are part of the organization tend to be much better than your average GA pilot when it comes to training. No doubt there are some yayhoos out there. But I’ve met some very solid Cirrus pilots that value the safety and community corporate knowledge... and the parachute.

If you can afford to operate one, it’s a fantastic airplane.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Their sales people have a good reputation around their airshow booths for things like talking to people who don't necessarily look like they can afford an airplane right now (but you never know if they may later). The Textron-owned GA manufacturers have sort of the opposite reputation among civil piston pilots, fairly earned or not...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Surprisingly, a CAPS deployment doesn’t always mean the Cirrus will be totaled. I personally would not want mine rebuilt, but they have done it.
I thought they damaged the wing spar beyond repair, as well as other structural components.