• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cirrus

IRfly

None
I saw this several years ago and, at first, thought that it was pretty cool.

But when you pull that chute, it appears that you lose all control of the aircraft--I'd rather take a chance on gliding down to a field or highway.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I saw this several years ago and, at first, thought that it was pretty cool.

But when you pull that chute, it appears that you lose all control of the aircraft--I'd rather take a chance on gliding down to a field or highway.

If those are available. But I'd rather ditch into water or mountains vertically than conventionally...assuming I can get the door open/window out after touchdown.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The chutes have a pretty good track record. But once you use it, the plane will never fly again.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Mid-air yesterday in Colorado. Video of a Cirrus coming down by parachute. Unbelievable damage on the Metroliner but it held together and landed. No one hurt.

taxi1

pilot
Yaaaaa!...was just out there while on my road trip. Checked out the airport too.

Can't believe that Metroliner had enough structural integrity to stay together. Could almost log formation time for the two sections.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The Cirrus was at fault. He overshot both his and the parallel final approach paths.

They should not allow GA to do simultaneous parallel approaches to closely spaced runways. Most Cessna or light twin pilots don't have the experience to do it safely. I've seen more than a few overshoots,, almost always GA aircraft.

Supposedly the Metroliner is a freighter.
Keylime Air is freight. They used to be a big pay for training scumbag operation. I haven't followed that kind of things for years so maybe they've changed. At least this pilot has some good skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

0621 Hertz

I have about 40 hours in the SR20

Definitely a doctor/lawyer killer that the Bonanzas used to be known by. Not a dangerous plane but a lot of stupid people fly them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They should NOT allow....

Too late to edit the original.

Fixed.

I'm torn on this. I've seen a lot of GA antics, both as a military pilot and as a 135 pilot, and it's annoying, but I've also managed to not completely understand a parallel runway flow due to geographic considerations and shown my ass (albeit mildly and tower was very helpful) while flying GA. I've also managed to make one or two other mistakes in my career (but certainly not ANY more than that, of course).

But I totally get your point, and honestly, I assumed who was at fault when I saw the headline this morning just based on hearing "Cirrus."