• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS CIB vs. CAR - The Fascinating Minutiae

exNavyOffRec

All right then. My long time belief there were no actual mines in the carrier box has just been changed. Sorry for doubting your story.

There were lots of things that occurred during that time that were not widely publicized, the main method of communication was with a stamp, by the time info got home other items had taken the spot light.

I do remember many course adjustments for bags of garbage during that time, I was on the bridge observing bridge ops with my Divo during one such encounter, in the end I thought it was kind of funny that a CVN ended up adjusting their course for a bag of garbage, but it is completely understandable in the case it was not a bag of garbage.

BigRed389

None
The put the pictures of the EOD guys blowing it up in our ships newspaper, I think they may be in the cruise book as well, I will have to dig it out and look.

If I kept getting put in the water to go look at what turned out to be a bunch of floating trash bags, eventually I'd want to fucking blow something up too. :D

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
While on a small FOB in Iraq, no one was awarded a CAB for IDF, despite the burn holes in the netting around our CHUs from shrapnel. Our medics were not awarded CMBs when the aircraft was shot at during missions, but did receive CABs. The CAB criteria was pretty stringent, with a requirement that ground fire at an aircraft had to pass within a certain distance. There had to be proof that the direct fire was directed at YOU!

While I did get a CAB for being shot at on a mission, ironically it was an AK-47 round from celebratory fire that came closest to hitting me. We were all sitting around smoking cigars one night when we heard small arms fire outside the FOB. I ran to ops to see if they knew what was going on. They said the Iraqis had won a soccer match and it was celebratory fire. We went back to smoking our cigars and the Myth Busters episode about bullets fired into the air became the center of discussion. In the heat of the discussion we heard a crack and some gravel flew up just behind the chair of the guy next to me. We all took off. To where? We had no idea. We ended up finishing our cigars wearing our Kevlar. The only casualty was my Diet Coke, laying over on its side.

hscs

pilot
I wonder when it changed. In 2004-ish, our squadron flight surgeon went TAD to support HCS-4 in Iraq. When he came back, I noticed he was wearing a CAR on his uniform one day and asked him about it. He said it was awarded because of the regular mortar attacks.
They rolled this back by 2006 and we didn’t award any after 2006 if I remember correctly.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
While on a small FOB in Iraq, no one was awarded a CAB for IDF, despite the burn holes in the netting around our CHUs from shrapnel. Our medics were not awarded CMBs when the aircraft was shot at during missions, but did receive CABs. The CAB criteria was pretty stringent, with a requirement that ground fire at an aircraft had to pass within a certain distance. There had to be proof that the direct fire was directed at YOU!

While I did get a CAB for being shot at on a mission, ironically it was an AK-47 round from celebratory fire that came closest to hitting me. We were all sitting around smoking cigars one night when we heard small arms fire outside the FOB. I ran to ops to see if they knew what was going on. They said the Iraqis had won a soccer match and it was celebratory fire. We went back to smoking our cigars and the Myth Busters episode about bullets fired into the air became the center of discussion. In the heat of the discussion we heard a crack and some gravel flew up just behind the chair of the guy next to me. We all took off. To where? We had no idea. We ended up finishing our cigars wearing our Kevlar. The only casualty was my Diet Coke, laying over on its side.
Baghdad, 2003, the night Uday and Qusay (Saddam’s boys) we’re killed up in Tikrit. There was so much celebratory fire in the air we were all scrambling to get inside! At the time we were living in a house near 14 July Bridge. @RobLyman was the soccer match you write about in late 2005, early 2006? I was there for that one as well.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Baghdad, 2003, the night Uday and Qusay (Saddam’s boys) we’re killed up in Tikrit. There was so much celebratory fire in the air we were all scrambling to get inside! At the time we were living in a house near 14 July Bridge. @RobLyman was the soccer match you write about in late 2005, early 2006? I was there for that one as well.
Diwaniya, 2011. I have a picture somewhere of the tragedy (my Diet Coke) and a patch marking the spot on the ground where we dug the AK-47 round out.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Did he really say that?

?
Well....in the movie, yes. In real life the real Patton actually said; “When shells are hitting all around you and you wipe the dirt from your face and you realize that it's not dirt, it's the blood and guts of what was once your best friend, you'll know what to do.”