• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Choosing NFO or pilot pipeline (+ bonus: High Flight Threadjack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Yeh I figured it would be. But surely there are plenty of newcomers to Airwarriors that wouldn't just happen to do a search of good aviation poems or literature. There's nothing wrong with resurrecting good material from the post graveyard. But thanks for letting me know, I guess I'm "that guy"!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well since it's a resurrected thread, I'll go ahead and add the context to the poem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gillespie_Magee,_Jr.

Notice that although he was an American, he joined the Canadian RAF. Why? Because it was illegal for Americans to join up in the war (think Neutrality Act), he went to Canada. Or to put it another way, he fled to Canada not to dodge a war, but to join one.

Some good reading if you're interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Few-Alex-Kershaw/dp/0306813033

And it looks like a movie will be made:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388940/

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
OK helo boys, what's the highest you've been in a helicopter? I did 14,500 MSL in a MD-500D. I was thinking about getting that high and autorotating through the San Diego Class B over Lemon Grove and into Gillespie Field in El Cajon.

Is the military limit still 10K w/o O2?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
OK helo boys, what's the highest you've been in a helicopter? I did 14,500 MSL in a MD-500D. I was thinking about getting that high and autorotating through the San Diego Class B over Lemon Grove and into Gillespie Field in El Cajon.

Is the military limit still 10K w/o O2?

I figured you would want to auto through the Palomar Class E extension.

KBayDog

I did 14,500 MSL in a MD-500D. I was thinking about getting that high and autorotating through the San Diego Class B over Lemon Grove and into Gillespie Field in El Cajon.

Look me up if you need a co-pilot!

Question (for my SA): What are the VFR reporting points for Gillespie? Fortuna is one, is it not?

MasterBates

OPNAV still has 10K as the limit without O2.

Like everything, it can probably be waived somehow, but you need a really good reason.

badger16

None
If we are talking aviation lit and poetry...I've always liked this one a little bit better then High Flight...maybe because I don't hear it as much...anyway enjoy.

An Irish Airman Forsees his Fate
By: William Butler Yates

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate,
Those that I guard I do not love;
My county is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan's poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
OPNAV still has 10K as the limit without O2.

Like everything, it can probably be waived somehow, but you need a really good reason.

Scuttlebutt from some of the Marine instructors is that guys in Afghanistan are flying higher than 10k w/o O2. I suppose they've gotten a waiver for that for operational necessity and that those flights probably aren't over 10k for an extended time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Scuttlebutt from some of the Marine instructors is that guys in Afghanistan are flying higher than 10k w/o O2. I suppose they've gotten a waiver for that for operational necessity and that those flights probably aren't over 10k for an extended time.

I'd believe the scuttlebutt. I know the AFSOC guys were in a similar situation.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

From my own experience, you really don't "need" O2 until your cabin altitude gets up >15K.

Brett

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Off the top of my head, 13.5k for two hours.....just sniff the O2 once in a while if ya feel light headed or whatever.

sanders

gaijin, was that really necessary? Its a good read and I have been active on this forum for years and it it my first time to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.