• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Choosing NFO or pilot pipeline (+ bonus: High Flight Threadjack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Are you serious?! Dude's looking for advice and last I checked you don't need to "rush" to get your wings. Just go through flight school and do well. If someone on here is too sensitive to take a "puddle jumper" comment in jest, then maybe the unforgiving environment of aviation isn't really for you. God forbid you had to get a paddles debrief for the screaming waveoff followed by a taxi one!! :D

I'm in the unforgiving environment of aviation, and I didn't take it in jest. When he followed it with an explanation that flying away after an assault wasn't "bad-ass," it wasn't that funny. I'll take crap from another aviator, but no one without wings gets to throw ready-room-style barbs. Look, helo bubbas may be the kids wearing hockey helmets while waiting for the short bus, but they're OUR hockey helmets, and fuck you if you make fun of their color.

Of course, now as a tiltrotor guy, I have the option of playing with my own poo, as well, just like the jet guys. Ref: jets make you poo

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in the unforgiving environment of aviation, and I didn't take it in jest. When he followed it with an explanation that flying away after an assault wasn't "bad-ass," it wasn't that funny. I'll take crap from another aviator, but no one without wings gets to throw ready-room-style barbs. Look, helo bubbas may be the kids wearing hockey helmets while waiting for the short bus, but they're OUR hockey helmets, and fuck you if you make fun of their color.

Of course, now as a tiltrotor guy, I have the option of playing with my our poo, as well, just like the jet guys. Ref: jets make you poo

I hope you mean "with my own poo" because that would be pretty gross if you did not........;)

robav8r

None
Contributor
Are you serious?! Dude's looking for advice and last I checked you don't need to "rush" to get your wings. Just go through flight school and do well. If someone on here is too sensitive to take a "puddle jumper" comment in jest, then maybe the unforgiving environment of aviation isn't really for you. God forbid you had to get a paddles debrief for the screaming waveoff followed by a taxi one!! :D

***Surgeon General's Warning, if you have thin skin, please skip to next reply***

. . . . . yeah, DEFERENCE. Or, in other words, "having a little respect for those that have been there, done that." I will answer any question from anyone, at any time, but have the courtesy to recognize that I (any many others here) have A LOT more time in service, time at sea, and flight time than you. Have a fine Navy day !!!
:)

ProwlerPilot

pilot
That's funny, flying a jamming orbit doesn't seem like that much fun either. ;)

Brett

True, but landing on the ship at the end is, (as long as it isn't night!!) or landing in Al Asad is. Not to mention tanking in the middle and flying back and forth! Takeoff, Low transition. Maybe a little cloudsurfing on the way. All of that is much more fun with the stick in your hand. I've been in both seats now, and it is much better from the left. Plus I would NEVER sit over there for a night trap. That is just lunacy. If I hit the ramp, I want it to be because of what I did, not the dude sitting next to me.:eek: I respect you for sitting there, but I don't think I could do it!

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
Did anyone have a reply about why you're more likely to get a jet slot in the Air Force? Thank you.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Less helos, probably. Keep in mind that your USAF "jet" slot might mean flying a C-17.

Brett

And 450 KC-135's, about 70 other 707 based platforms and 60 KC-10's on top of the 180 C-17's. Lots of jets to go around........;)

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Chief-

It's a BOAT! If you ever get the chance to look down at the "Ship of the Line" from 2000 feet prior to landing on it, you'd see that it's definitely a BOAT!

wilsonator

Check baseops.net for all your Air Force needs. There are real Air Force guys on that website. But I do have some understanding of the Air Force ways and they are much more consistent when it comes to selection. The Navy has it's ups and down, one week you have to have an 80 and you are the only guy across the board to get a jet slot. I remember when I had been finishing up in Kingsville, there were a bunch of guys who didn't even want jets (one guy left for air sickness after BI's) but there was a draft and Helos were overmanned. The Air Force however has this special term they like to throw around, it's called planning (I have know idea what it actually means) but my guess is there are people who think LONG TERM about the needs of the Air Force and so if you are in the top 10-20% you can earn a jet spot. I think the average is 4-6 T-38 guys out of about 30 studs. In addition to F-16s and 15s you could also fly B-1s or B-52s. Concur with the Ascot comment, why the hell any fighter pilot would wear a silk scarf with his flight suit is beyond me.

usmc96

Quick ThreadJack layman's terms (read 3mph grunt):

In the 'sedan' like Prowler, what are the jobs specifically of the three NFOs.
or are they interchangeable.

Is the NFO sitting next to the pilot primarily a Navigator while the two behind are ECMOs? Or are they all doing the same job. Is there still such a thing as a bombadier? If so do you stay as a navigator or ECMO for say a whole deployment or do you mix things up.

Is there a hierarchy within or seniority in seating or jobs within the Prowler?

Or do the three NFOs leave the ready room and one yells "shotgun" and he gets to sit in front while the two in back fight and tease each other until the pilot threatens to pull over.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quick ThreadJack layman's terms (read 3mph grunt):

In the 'sedan' like Prowler, what are the jobs specifically of the three NFOs.
or are they interchangeable.

Is the NFO sitting next to the pilot primarily a Navigator while the two behind are ECMOs? Or are they all doing the same job. Is there still such a thing as a bombadier? If so do you stay as a navigator or ECMO for say a whole deployment or do you mix things up.

Is there a hierarchy within or seniority in seating or jobs within the Prowler?

Or do the three NFOs leave the ready room and one yells "shotgun" and he gets to sit in front while the two in back fight and tease each other until the pilot threatens to pull over.

Search function will reveal answers to your questions.

Brett

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
High Flight

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, —and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of—wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor even eagle flew—
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

--John Gillespie Magee Jr.​

Status
Not open for further replies.