• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Choosing between Marine and Coast Guard Aviation

Clux4

Banned
I figured people were going to jump on the jet or helo is safer thing. That was not the point of using that example. You could have reversed the airframe and it would not affect the arguement I am trying to get across.
You should not be dating a girl who is only concerned with you making her happy. That, right there is the problem. What are you doing with a self centered all about me and my aspirations kinda girl. I believe it should be mutual and not someone bending over backwards to please the other person. A selfish girl did not become selfish overnight.

The OP can take this whichever he likes. The people that really love you want the best for you.

teddy42

Thanks for all the replies. Some very good points were made and I will keep them all in consideration.
I understand what you were trying to say Clux4, I do value the opinion of the loved ones in my life and always take there suggestions and concerns into consideration, hence why I asked this question to begin with. I was just considering all my options before making a final decision.
P ubhi18 is right I do believe if I did turn down my commission for any reason I would really regret it in the future. This is a great opportunity and a dream of mine as long as I could remember. I worked hard to get into the program and get through college and OCS so what is to come is all the benefits of what I worked to get. And if later in life I wanted to go into the coast guard I could always consider a DCA, but im too young (21) to even be looking at marriage let alone basing decisions I will live with for the rest of my life on the idea of marrying.
Im just curious sardaddy why do you say being a cg helo pilot is the best gig in the military?

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Teddy, you're not the only person asking this question. I'm a junior in college looking at either going OCC with the Corps or OCS with the Coast Guard. Unlike you, I have yet to take a step in either direction beyond my current enlisted commitment to the Corps.

There will be one thing that will determine whether I stay with the Corps as an officer or head to the Coast Guard - war.

Once i finish my degree, if we are still at war and likely to continue to be involved in war for the foreseeable future, then I will stay in the Corps. However, if it looks like our CinC decides to call it all off and the Corps is not taking any military action, then I'll head to the Coast Guard.

I couldn't possibly imagine a more miserable job than serving in the Marine Corps with no war going on. The Corps has us wound up so tight that we must find a way to release it all...and that is what deployments do for me. To not have that outlet would be a living hell for me - not to mention all the anal barracks rats that would eventually take over the Corps like they did in the 80's and 90's. I will gladly serve in the Marine Corps when there is war but I can't picture myself in there when there is "peace."

I also couldn't imagine joining up and getting my wings just as we pull out of both AOs. Having all these pilots that are senior to me with aviation combat/deployment experience and me not having any opportunity to step up to the plate. In my mind, I would never measure up to them without having actual aviation combat/deployment experience. I feel it would be like living in their shadow. Maybe that's all in my head, but that's the way I imagine it...that's the way it was in my old unit until I had the chance to step up to the plate and prove myself.

As far as my interests go...that's all there is to it.

sardaddy

pilot
Im just curious sardaddy why do you say being a cg helo pilot is the best gig in the military?

Simply because it is the truth. As I said earlier, I served in the Army for 10 years before going to the Coast Guard and I have worked with pilots from other services so I am not making the comment from a plastic bubble.

We get to do our mission every day and our missions are very diverse. I could be doing a law enforcement flight one day, Search and Rescue the next, and yet another mission the next. In fact, I could end up doing multiple missions in one flight on a moments notice. We do our mission whether we are at home in the US or when deployed abroad to areas around the world including SE Asia. Our deployments are usually about two months and do not occur that often. Some do last a little longer, about six months, but they are pretty rare. The worst permanent duty station in most people's opinion is Puerto Rico.

We are operational all the time. We can change from training to rescue during a single flight no matter where we are. Ask a pilot in any other service if they are in the same state of readiness in garrison as when they are in theatre.

But the best part is really the autonomy we have as pilots in the Coast Guard. As a pilot in the Army, I was required to submit a flight plan stating exactly what I would be doing on each flight. Such as, "I will be doing tactical training in areas A, B, and C that will include NOE flying and hover work followed by conducting two instrument approaches into the airfield." I would then complete an indepth risk matrix that would need to be signed by two people in my chain of command. Then I could go fly. Unless of course it was more than one aicraft. That would require an indepth prebrief before going as well.

In the Coast Guard, we are given a general mission and the Aircraft Commander then makes a decision on how to execute the mission effectively. The flight schedule is simply posted with the mission and executed. Since the command already approved it, the crew knows they are allowed to conduct the mission and verify the risk between themselves. So when it is time to fly, the pilot simply goes to maintenance, signs for the aircraft, briefs the crew and goes. No need to track down the chain of command to tell them what is about to happen.

If we are launched on a Search and Rescue case, we have to be airborne quickly so the mission usually goes like this: We get a call, we tell the watch stander to call our operations officer and tell him we are leaving and what the mission is. We do not need to wait for the commands approval. It is our decision. In some rare occasions, we might delay a bit and call our OPS boss ourselves if we think parts of the mission are beyond the norm and want some advice.

The Aircraft Commander is actually TRUSTED to evaluate and execute the mission properly. During Hurricane Katrina, one of my briefs was verbatim "Go out and do good things and we will see you when you get back." Again, ask a pilot from another service if that is the case on their missions

Besides all of that, nothing beats the feeling of being a part of a crew that just pulled someone into the cabin that would be dead had you not completed your mission.

I think being an aviator in any of the services is a good gig no matter what the airframe, I just think the CG, especially as a helo pilot is just better.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But the best part is really the autonomy we have as pilots in the Coast Guard. As a pilot in the Army, I was required to submit a flight plan stating exactly what I would be doing on each flight. Such as, "I will be doing tactical training in areas A, B, and C that will include NOE flying and hover work followed by conducting two instrument approaches into the airfield." I would then complete an indepth risk matrix that would need to be signed by two people in my chain of command. Then I could go fly. Unless of course it was more than one aicraft. That would require an indepth prebrief before going as well.

In the Coast Guard, we are given a general mission and the Aircraft Commander then makes a decision on how to execute the mission effectively. The flight schedule is simply posted with the mission and executed. Since the command already approved it, the crew knows they are allowed to conduct the mission and verify the risk between themselves. So when it is time to fly, the pilot simply goes to maintenance, signs for the aircraft, briefs the crew and goes. No need to track down the chain of command to tell them what is about to happen.

If we are launched on a Search and Rescue case, we have to be airborne quickly so the mission usually goes like this: We get a call, we tell the watch stander to call our operations officer and tell him we are leaving and what the mission is. We do not need to wait for the commands approval. It is our decision. In some rare occasions, we might delay a bit and call our OPS boss ourselves if we think parts of the mission are beyond the norm and want some advice.

The Aircraft Commander is actually TRUSTED to evaluate and execute the mission properly. During Hurricane Katrina, one of my briefs was verbatim "Go out and do good things and we will see you when you get back." Again, ask a pilot from another service if that is the case on their missions

Besides all of that, nothing beats the feeling of being a part of a crew that just pulled someone into the cabin that would be dead had you not completed your mission.

I think being an aviator in any of the services is a good gig no matter what the airframe, I just think the CG, especially as a helo pilot is just better.

While I'm not trying to argue the pluses of the CG, the things you mention above are true for the Navy (and presumably the Marines where appropriate), as well.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
sardaddy saved me a buttload of typing....everything he said about the perks of CG helo flying can pretty much be applied to the fixed wing world as well.....with a few exceptions, of course. Not knocking the other services, because there is definitely some exciting flying going on over there, but there are lots of reasons why folks are willing to DCA over, take the reduction in rate, and join a career in the CG.

Then again, don't listen to me, I'm pretty biased. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It may be but none of the Navy or Marine Corps pilots made it sound that way.

I reread it (your quote in my post), and it seems pretty much in line w/ what I've experienced. The few times I've launched on a SAR (no where near the numbers you guys launch on, of course), it's been the HAC's plan in concert w/ whatever the coordinator needs. Going on a flight? Just do the mission that's listed on the flight schedule, if it happens to be instrument hop, no one cares what approaches you're doing where.

Again, I think the CG is a good deal, I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

sardaddy

pilot
Gatordev, good to hear. But, I will have to say you are the very small exception of the pilots I have spoken with, at least on that point.

So what about the rest of the stuff? I could see where MEDEVAC type units may come close to doing the operational missions in garrison and in theatre but not many others.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So what about the rest of the stuff? I could see where MEDEVAC type units may come close to doing the operational missions in garrison and in theatre but not many others.

No argument there. That's why I just quoted what I thought applied. I know for the HS and HSL guys, we have too many mission areas to be able to be as dedicated as you guys. The HS guys probably have a better chance just since they tend to fly w/ two crewman far more than HSL does, but we all end up having to train back home quite a bit, which takes up time/flight time. And that's why we have you guys.

That all said, should a random Hxx pilot come across a SAR of opportunity, I would hope they would try to make something happen rather than say they can't because they had planned to do something else that day.

sardaddy

pilot
That all said, should a random Hxx pilot come across a SAR of opportunity, I would hope they would try to make something happen rather than say they can't because they had planned to do something else that day.

Well, I know of one former Navy, now CG pilot that is on these boards that tried to make something happen and got into a bit of trouble. I will let him tell the story if he reads this.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, I know of one former Navy, now CG pilot that is on these boards that tried to make something happen and got into a bit of trouble. I will let him tell the story if he reads this.

If it was during Katerina, I'm convinced I've never heard the full story either, so I'd be interested to hear it, as well.

As for HSL, especially what I've been hearing about HSL-east HAC boards lately, I wouldn't be surprised if conducting the SAR (in the board) is the "wrong" answer. Personally, I think that's ridiculous and thankfully I don't have to worry about such nonsense where I work.

Pags

N/A
pilot

SAR capability was always briefed, every flight, every day. With two crewman, one of them would always have his SAR gear in the bird. With one crewman we'd brief "OSC or raft kicker or go back and get another AW (there'd be more than one waiting)".

We were supposed to get CO's permission to execute a SAR, but if you can't reach him, it's the HAC's call for a SAR of opportunity. And I don't know anyone who'd wouldn't drop whatever else they were doing to go on a SAR.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
SAR capability was always briefed, every flight, every day. With two crewman, one of them would always have his SAR gear in the bird. With one crewman we'd brief "OSC or raft kicker or go back and get another AW (there'd be more than one waiting)".

We were supposed to get CO's permission to execute a SAR, but if you can't reach him, it's the HAC's call for a SAR of opportunity. And I don't know anyone who'd wouldn't drop whatever else they were doing to go on a SAR.

Same same, except we don't brief SAR until it comes up or it's actually part of the flight. We just don't fly w/ two crewman as often.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Same same, except we don't brief SAR until it comes up or it's actually part of the flight. We just don't fly w/ two crewman as often.
I think we mean the same thing. We didn't brief SAR, just briefed our SAR capability, which usually meant we'd point to the 2nd crewmen and say "you're bringing your gear." We always carried a full SAR curtain on all flights, except FCF.