• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Choosing between Marine and Coast Guard Aviation

teddy42

Here is my situation; I'm a college senior graduating in Dec, with a BS in aviation. I have been accepted for the USMC PLC program with an air contract and completed OCS the summer of 2008. For those unfamiliar with the program I have no obligations to the Marines until after I graduate and accept my commission.

Graduation is rapidly approaching and I need to make my final decision regarding what branch to enter. Like many others my dream is to fly jets, but have not overlooked helicopters, especially the sort of missions the coast guard flies. I would be happy flying in any branch, the only issue with the Marines is the length and frequency of deployment. I’m just stuck between the two options right now, I really want to accept my commission in the Marines, love everything about the idea of being a Marine and the environment from what I have been exposed to. The only downside is I want to get married and have a family and leaving them for months at a time would be very difficult I would imagine.

I meet all the qualifications for the Blue 21 program, and was wondering if I could start applying for it before I graduate? Having two options wouldn't hurt so I guess there is no harm to applying for the program. I'm aware that I would have to go through OCS again but this is not a major concern for me. Any insight or personal experience on the topic of deployments and family would be greatly appreciated. I’m just not sure which to put first my own personal dreams or a family.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really want to accept my commission in the Marines, love everything about the idea of being a Marine and the environment from what I have been exposed to. The only downside is I want to get married and have a family and leaving them for months at a time would be very difficult I would imagine.

Any insight or personal experience on the topic of deployments and family would be greatly appreciated. I’m just not sure which to put first my own personal dreams or a family.

Why chase a fleeting opportunity in the Coast Guard on sole basis of family that you don't even have as of yet? If you really do "love everything about the idea of being a Marine", deploying is part of it. There are literally tens of thousands of Marines (if not hundreds of thousands if you consider all Marines) who have gone before you and deployed leaving their loved ones at home. No doubt deployments put stress on a family, but they also can make them stronger. Ask the spouses on AW about that.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You sound like you have someone trying to talk you out of Ma Corps? Is this true?

Here's the scoop on that. The typical Marine Corps deployment is 6 to 7 months. There are a few that go a year, but it's not close to the norm. You must smartly build a strong family. Many, many of us have done it.

Imagine it like this: there's a bell-ish looking curve. If you and your family are on the front of it, your deployment will be tough, but your family will get stronger. If you and your family are on the back of the curve before you leave, your marriage will slide into oblivion. It's the whole 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' thing. The opposite is also very true; absence makes the screaming yenta sleep with the neighbor.

Besides, with stuff like Skype and the relatively huge amount of bandwidth that's being thrown around in "expeditionary environments" these days it should be easy to stay in touch.

Now...Allow all the marriage hate jokes and posts to begin.

jtmedli

pilot
Graduation is rapidly approaching and I need to make my final decision regarding what branch to enter. Like many others my dream is to fly jets, but have not overlooked helicopters, especially the sort of missions the coast guard flies. I would be happy flying in any branch, the only issue with the Marines is the length and frequency of deployment. I?m just stuck between the two options right now, I really want to accept my commission in the Marines, love everything about the idea of being a Marine and the environment from what I have been exposed to. The only downside is I want to get married and have a family and leaving them for months at a time would be very difficult I would imagine.

The Marine Corps has plenty of helos for you fly. Like previously said, don't piss away an opportunity like this over something you don't even have yet. You ARE a 2nd Lt select and the commission is there for you to take. You ARE going to Navy Flight School.

Don't shove that aside and say 'No Thanks' over some prospect of a Coast Guard career that you DON'T have and a family you DON'T have!! I've never spoken to a Naval Aviator who would say they don't have the best job ever and I'm sure you won't regret it either.

teddy42

Thanks for the replies I appreciate the insight. I was just considering this option. That's very true; deployment is part of being a Marine and so many others before me have had families and managed to make it work and there is no reason I shouldn't be able to.
In reply to usmarinemike yes someone was trying to talk me out the marines, and tried to talk me out of it before I went to OCS. I have a great opportunity in front of me and it is something I cant pass up.
Thanks for the replies and setting me straight, been over a year since OCS all these nasty civilians are playing with my head lol

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the replies I appreciate the insight. I was just considering this option. That's very true; deployment is part of being a Marine and so many others before me have had families and managed to make it work and there is no reason I shouldn't be able to.
In reply to usmarinemike yes someone was trying to talk me out the marines, and tried to talk me out of it before I went to OCS. I have a great opportunity in front of me and it is something I cant pass up.
Thanks for the replies and setting me straight, been over a year since OCS all these nasty civilians are playing with my head lol

Never, ever let a girl or a parent talk you out of your life choices. You're a grown man, and you bring home the bacon the way you want to, and if it's meant to be she'll still be there when you get home. If she's still there, but giving you shit, can her ass. Same for moms and girlfriends. Wives are different, but we're not going down that road here.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Don't sacrifice your dreams for someone who isn't willing to let you persue them- theres a good chance they may not be there one day, and you won't have your dreams either.

Also, both the Marine Corps and Coast Guard are great services, and perform very important missions. Food for thought: You may have the ability to become a Coast Guard Aviator one day after you fly for the Marine Corps through the Coast Guard DCA program. Your chance to be a Marine Aviator is a once in a lifetime deal.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You sound like you have someone trying to talk you out of Ma Corps? Is this true?

Here's the scoop on that. The typical Marine Corps deployment is 6 to 7 months. There are a few that go a year, but it's not close to the norm. You must smartly build a strong family. Many, many of us have done it.

Imagine it like this: there's a bell-ish looking curve. If you and your family are on the front of it, your deployment will be tough, but your family will get stronger. If you and your family are on the back of the curve before you leave, your marriage will slide into oblivion. It's the whole 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' thing. The opposite is also very true; absence make the screaming yenta sleep with the neighbor.

Besides, with stuff like Skype and the relatively huge amount of bandwidth that's being thrown around in "expeditionary environments" these days it should be easy to stay in touch.

Now...Allow all the marriage hate jokes and posts to begin.

This is awesome, and now my new sig...

To the OP: Seriously dude, sac up! If you want to be a Marine then be a Marine. At the end of your life you only have to answer about what you did in your life to yourself and your God.

Don't be like the guy in my platoon who let his family convince him that Logistics is what he wants when he really wants to be an Infantry officer. MOS selections are out and he's trying to change it back, but guess what....

Oilcover

Costumed aggressor
pilot
This is awesome, and now my new sig...

To the OP: Seriously dude, sac up! If you want to be a Marine then be a Marine. At the end of your life you only have to answer about what you did in your life to yourself and your God.

Don't be like the guy in my platoon who let his family convince him that Logistics is what he wants when he really wants to be an Infantry officer. MOS selections are out and he's trying to change it back, but guess what....

Not to take a serious matter off topic, but we've got a slight misuse of Yiddish. A yenta used to be an old woman who acted as a matchmaker. It's synonymous with busybody. She'd spread the news of a cheating wife around, but wouldn't necessarily be an unfaithful wife herself.

sardaddy

pilot
Admittedly, being a CG helicopter pilot is the best gig in the military but if you already have a guaranteed flight slot in a program you want to be involved in then it is a no brainer. The Coast Guard has tons of applicants for the flight program and only a few are getting selected. You have to apply for OCS and then apply for flight school. The old "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" thing comes into play. I started off flying in the Army and have since met pilots from every service since. The one thing we all have in common is that we know a good deal when we have one.

You have already done the really tough part by getting accepted to a flight program so enjoy the Marine Corps.

Raptor2216

While I can't speak from personal experience in regards to marriage and kids, I can tell you that you are taking a huge chance picking a career based on how it might affect your family life. I have a few friends who chose a pipeline based on what their significant other wanted and they regret it now. This is not to say that everyone is destined to have the same fate but I think you should put your career before all else at this point, especially since you are young. As far as I see it, you have your entire life after the military to do whatever it is you want but you have only one chance and so many years of your life to chase after a dream. If you want to fly jets then go after it. I think you will regret it in the future if you decide to pursue other avenues and airframes based on the needs of marriage.

Clux4

Banned
You know, I hear the put the career before the woman thing on here quite often but let us for once assume that things are just a way for a reason.
You tell me which one you would prefer. You picked jets because you love it and then end up in an unfortunate Class "A" 3 months into your first cruise or picked Helo's because your wife advised but you are around to see your kids grow and pursue their dreams as Naval Aviators. I know which one I would rather have.
I personally cherish the people in my life and value their opinion in my decision making. If you expect to live happily with a woman for the rest of your life, then you will value her opinion in your decision making especially when it affects her life as much as it does yours.

The problem these days is that people get married too young and without clear understanding of the commitment. After all, they can always bounce right back out.
What am I talking about, you are about to be a Naval Aviator and who cares what this yenta has to offer. You are not about to have a woman derail your aspirations.

Raptor2216

You know, I hear the put the career before the woman thing on here quite often but let us for once assume that things are just a way for a reason.
You tell me which one you would prefer. You picked jets because you love it and then end up in an unfortunate Class "A" 3 months into your first cruise or picked Helo's because your wife advised but you are around to see your kids grow and pursue their dreams as Naval Aviators. I know which one I would rather have.
I personally cherish the people in my life and value their opinion in my decision making. If you expect to live happily with a woman for the rest of your life, then you will value her opinion in your decision making especially when it affects her life as much as it does yours.

The problem these days is that people get married too young and without clear understanding of the commitment. After all, they can always bounce right back out.
What am I talking about, you are about to be a Naval Aviator and who cares what this yenta has to offer. You are not about to have a woman derail your aspirations.

My whole point was that he is young enough that he should be more concerned about his dreams, not marriage and kids. By the way, its pointless to pick a pipeline based on which one might be safer. I don't know of any helo's with ejection seats so you always have that going for you in a jet.

I'm just basing my opinion on what I see and hear. If you can't be content with your life and your decisions then how can you make someone else happy? Coming out of college, the only right thing to do is to chase your own dreams. I have friends who were in the OP's shoes at one point and they decided to turn down their commissions. Guess what, they are kicking themselves right now...every single one of them. One of them did it for a chick...needless to say she had her own plans.

Another one of my buddies tried to do the National Guard thing for a while but they just gave him the run around. He somehow managed to convince the Corps to let him back in. He completed OCS again and he's now flying jets in K-ville...and yea, he loves it. Like others have said, you have one sure shot with the Marines...don't be stupid.