• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Choice of Aircraft after Flight School

altuc

That brings hope. How hard is it to get your pick in the P-3/EP-3 side of things if your not top graduate?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
That brings hope. How hard is it to get your pick in the P-3/EP-3 side of things if your not top graduate?

A lot of these questions you're asking are very subjective...just something you will have to see when you get down here/there. Everything is difficult and you're competing against the best and brightest to get into the most elite of fraternities that gets to rain death and destruction on bad guys everywhere.

/ Kool-aid drinking Captain America speech.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I apologize for my subjectivity, and you have a good point. Thank you :)

No problem, but by all means continue to ask about information of the communities that you are interested in...just know though, that no path is really "easier" to get into. Also the missions of the NFO varies from platform to platform...you're not just a "nav/comm" guy as you put it. Your job is to assist the pilot ...whatever that may be, as well as accomplish your own mission specific tasks.

That's a general job of the NFO so apply that to every platform and just realize the assisting the pilot part means whatever it takes to do that.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's a crapshoot since the community is so small. The week I graduated no one got an EP-3 slot, though I know the class ahead of me my friends said they were asking people at the last minute if anyone was interested in taking one. A couple classes later, one of my friends who hadn't even filled out a pref sheet was given one. And even if you are the top grad it doesn't guarantee anything. There was an NFO intermediate class back in the fall where every single person was given E-2s. That being said, especially in primary, it seemed to me they really tried to get people what they wanted as long as it was available. I only know a handful of people out of NFO primary who didn't get what they wanted.

sundevil_av8r

pilot
60flyer - I have a while to go before I have to make a decision like this, but NFO seemed like it brought more options. Could be wrong.

What do you mean by options? If you mean platform I believe there are more options for pilots. You have everything the NFO's have plus Helos and C-2s. And along the line of options after the Navy you will have a much easier time finding a job as a pilot. NFO's have very valuable skills to the Navy but there isn't much of a demand for Weapons Systems Operators or Radar Operators (not sure what E-2 NFO's are called) on the civilian side. As a pilot you can take a written test to obtain your commercial certificate and should have enough flight time to apply to most airline and corporate jobs. Hope this helps.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
What do you mean by options? If you mean platform I believe there are more options for pilots. You have everything the NFO's have plus Helos and C-2s. And along the line of options after the Navy you will have a much easier time finding a job as a pilot. NFO's have very valuable skills to the Navy but there isn't much of a demand for Weapons Systems Operators or Radar Operators (not sure what E-2 NFO's are called) on the civilian side. As a pilot you can take a written test to obtain your commercial certificate and should have enough flight time to apply to most airline and corporate jobs. Hope this helps.

Well there's definitely more platforms available to pilots, seeing as there aren't any platforms with only NFOs. As for flying outside of the Navy, there are at least a couple NFOs on here who have gone on to be airline pilots. I'm sure there's a lot more pilots that have done it, but it isn't impossible for double-anchor types.

And I think E-2 NFOs are AICs (Air Intercept Controllers). I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

m26

Contributor
Maybe he means within the Navy. Pilots all do more or less the same thing: fly the aircraft. NFOs can do Nav, ECMO, WSO, etc. Or so I hear :eek:

sundevil_av8r

pilot
Well there's definitely more platforms available to pilots, seeing as there aren't any platforms with only NFOs. As for flying outside of the Navy, there are at least a couple NFOs on here who have gone on to be airline pilots. I'm sure there's a lot more pilots that have done it, but it isn't impossible for double-anchor types.

And I think E-2 NFOs are AICs (Air Intercept Controllers). I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

True, but they would have to pay for their civilian training, take several checkrides, and build the flight time. A pilot simply takes a written test.

Maybe he means within the Navy. Pilots all do more or less the same thing: fly the aircraft. NFOs can do Nav, ECMO, WSO, etc. Or so I hear :eek:

Maybe. But there is as much variety in the type of flying between platforms as their are NFO positions.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Learn something about Naval Aviation before you actually make ignorant comments.

altuc

m26 - That is exactly what I meant.
OUSOONER - Oh yeah, no job is easier then the other, they all have their hard qualities.
CommodoreMid - So they are not telling a lie when they say its all about 'The needs of the Navy.' :)

About the Civilian Training - I dont even know if I want to fly. I think I would want to teach NJROTC, or something along those lines, like Sea Cadets and whatnot.