• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Choice of Aircraft after Flight School

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
And I think E-2 NFOs are AICs (Air Intercept Controllers). I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Three NFOs in the back of an E-2. Radar Operator, Air Intercept Controller, Combat Information Center Officer. You'd start as a RO once you get out of the FRS, then get your AIC letter after some hours, then qualify CICO after more hours.

altuc

Its not that. After reading people's biographies that were NFOs, they all held really nice shore positions. :) Like Flag Aides and whatnot. The diversity seems a lot better.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Well there's definitely more platforms available to pilots, seeing as there aren't any platforms with only NFOs. .

As funny as that could be. "Okay, you've got the charts, I've got the charts, we're preflighted, now who the hell's going to drive this thing?"

Its not that. After reading people's biographies that were NFOs, they all held really nice shore positions. :) Like Flag Aides and whatnot. The diversity seems a lot better.

I hope you're joking. That actually sounds like an appealling part of the job for you?

Also, reading "notable people's biographies" will skew you sample. If you're high up enough to have a published bio widely available you almost certainly have had some advantageous shore jobs.

altuc

Nfo

Im sure as a Flag Aide, your practically an Admiral's bitch, but tell me that does not give you an edge when it comes to Selection boards and whatnot.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That's exactly what I was getting at. If you look at a bunch of bios of admirals, many of them will have had career-enhancing shore duty.

That said, if you're the sort that volunteers for an aide job, well go ahead, Courtney Massengale, that's one less bad deal for an actual warrior.

Reactions: m26

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
What we're saying is that it's the combination of performance and enhancing jobs (both sea and shore) that make someone a candidate for greatness. That is true on the pilot and the NFO side and it's not like one side has more of those opportunities available than the other.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's all based on performance. I can't I've seen NFOs get more diverse assignments than pilots. They both get their share of good and other assignments based on how they rack and stack. Only time I've seen NFOs get offered more diverse assignments is when pilot retention is low and NFO retention is high to point of there being few pilots to spare after the RAG, NSAWC and training command shore billets are filled. But that doesn't mean all the assignments are awesome. I will say I snagged the Approach job that was traditionally a pilot billet. In that timeframe, airlines were attracting Naval Aviators (everyone out of my squadron who was a JO pilot got out or went reserves whereas the RIOs all stayed in). Detailers were desperate to retain pilots.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
True, but they would have to pay for their civilian training, take several checkrides, and build the flight time. A pilot simply takes a written test.
Yeah....take a written test and POOF! You're an airline pilot! So naive.....

altuc

phrogdriver - Great article, the book sounds Interesting. I guess I know what everyone means, where like the shore duty is based on the needs of the Navy and how well you do.

sundevil_av8r

pilot

My previous post...

What do you mean by options? If you mean platform I believe there are more options for pilots. You have everything the NFO's have plus Helos and C-2s. And along the line of options after the Navy you will have a much easier time finding a job as a pilot. NFO's have very valuable skills to the Navy but there isn't much of a demand for Weapons Systems Operators or Radar Operators (not sure what E-2 NFO's are called) on the civilian side. As a pilot you can take a written test to obtain your commercial certificate and should have enough flight time to APPLY to most airline and corporate jobs. Hope this helps.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor

Please Explain...It may not be an ATP but you sure can do alot of stuff in the civi world with a commercial certificate, and that was just a simple look at my log book and a test.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My previous post...
I was quoting post #56 while you are referencing #52. #52 is accurate and I didn't see it. Sorry.

Please Explain...It may not be an ATP but you sure can do a lot of stuff in the civi world with a commercial certificate, and that was just a simple look at my log book and a test.
Yes and no. Yes you can get a commercial ticket with a test but major airlines are going to want an ATP even if they say only a commercial with the ATP written is required - this is the difference between listed minimums and competitive minimums. Most corporate operators are going to require an ATP too - normally driven by their insurance requirements. Plus a large number of corporate positions will require you already have the appropriate type rating. Then there is the whole networking/interviewing process. Having the minimum/appropriate license is just a very small part of getting a major airline or corporate pilot position. There are a lot more pilots than there are jobs.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I was quoting post #56 while you are referencing #52. #52 is accurate and I didn't see it. Sorry.

Yes and no. Yes you can get a commercial ticket with a test but major airlines are going to want an ATP even if they say only a commercial with the ATP written is required - this is the difference between listed minimums and competitive minimums. Most corporate operators are going to require an ATP too - normally driven by their insurance requirements. Plus a large number of corporate positions will require you already have the appropriate type rating. Then there is the whole networking/interviewing process. Having the minimum/appropriate license is just a very small part of getting a major airline or corporate pilot position. There are a lot more pilots than there are jobs.

Thanks for the info!