• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Carrier

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since within the last year.

We haven't give them any training unless you know something everyone else doesn't, from what I know they will have to learn things the hard way without help from us. And VIP tours on carriers don't count as 'teaching'.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Supposedly the Chinese were getting some cv flight ops training as part of the purchase package from the Ukrainians.

We're sure as hell not training them. A few DV visits, maybe, but that's hardly the same thing.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I didn't see it in person but talked to a few pointy nose guys who were involved in both showing them FCLP ect. and others that were part of showing them how to load ordnance on our aircraft. Could be bull shit for all I know. I do know that we show them more tactically that we ever should.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't see it in person but talked to a few pointy nose guys who were involved in both showing them FCLP ect. and others that were part of showing them how to load ordnance on our aircraft. Could be bull shit for all I know. I do know that we show them more tactically that we ever should.
In an official context, or was this something that happened at an airshow with some dignitaries? There's a big difference between having a casual conversation about FCLPs or observing them, and embarking on some kind of "training" program.

Either way, to say that we're training China in CV ops is overstating your point.

Brett

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I feel a bit of a witch hunt going on here so I'm going to start by apologizing if you all are reading too far into my post. I never said we are sitting down in a classroom or giving the Chinese hands-on experience (training them). But, when we show them how we do things, then that teaches them how it's done. This wasn't an airshow, but rather inviting them out to the lens and letting them watch FCLPing. It's all hearsay so I don't give a shit.

Redux

It was a piece of shit in 1986 and I doubt it's any more than that right now. It hasn't the capabilities of a 1950's Forrestal class, it's going to be fun to watch.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel a bit of a witch hunt going on here so I'm going to start by apologizing if you all are reading too far into my post. I never said we are sitting down in a classroom or giving the Chinese hands-on experience (training them). But, when we show them how we do things, then that teaches them how it's done. This wasn't an airshow, but rather inviting them out to the lens and letting them watch FCLPing. It's all hearsay so I don't give a shit.
Not my intent, just reeling everyone back to reality. I know what you meant in your initial post, but people are reading way too much into what you said (or implied). Watching FCLPs doesn't mean dick. "OH MY GOD! The CHICOMS now know that practice is required before landing on a ship! Take us to DEFCON 1!" :D

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Supposedly the Chinese were getting some cv flight ops training as part of the purchase package from the Ukrainians.

You are assuming that the Chinese bought some carrier Flankers, they make their own Flankers now supposedly up to and including the J-15, a carrier version with folding wings, tailhook and shorter tail 'stinger'.

It was a piece of shit in 1986 and I doubt it's any more than that right now. It hasn't the capabilities of a 1950's Forrestal class, it's going to be fun to watch.

It doesn't even have the capabilities of the modified Midway-class CVs or even the Essex '27C' modified carriers for one main reason, no catapults. That ski ramp doesn't get you nearly as much as a catapult when it comes to how much fuel and payload you can carry.

.....Watching FCLPs doesn't mean dick......

True 'dat.