• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Carrier

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When has a carrier ever been used purely defensively?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys answered my point for me. Since the mid-1940s, carriers have been used for offensive operations. To argue that a Chinese flattop is for research/training or defense is a bit stretching it. What does you guys think? Regional hegemon?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Purchased from Ukraine in 1998...

ChineseAircraftCarrierInTow2.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys answered my point for me. Since the mid-1940s, carriers have been used for offensive operations. To argue that a Chinese flattop is for research/training or defense is a bit stretching it. What does you guys think? Regional hegemon?
I think their "research/training" party line is something like ours when we say that an aircraft was involved in a "routine training flight" when some incident occurs. It's not meant as an obfuscatory statement of the vessel's purpose.

Brett

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it probably is for 'research/training', in these sense that the PLAN is going to use it to work out their doctrine and procedures and as a testbed for indigineously built boats, as opposed to a full-on power projection asset.