• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Checking in Earlier to OCS or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedrock1981

I class up in March and was wondering were the best place would be to stay if I drive in on Friday night. I've heard that the base has a place for us to stay and if it is full then they will reemburst you for an off base hotel. Any truth to this?

Chopteam6

If you check in early on Sunday your voice will be gone that much sooner!!!

Definately wait as long as you can before checking in on sunday. Since chow is one of the worst places to be at OCS, if I were you I would hang out with in the OCS area and observe what is going on without being too obvious or letting on you are there for OCS...then watch your class mates go to chow for lunch...check in after they are done eating. My recommendation is to check in anytime after they go to lunch and before they go to dinner.

Here is a tip for the chow hall....forks are to the left, spoons in the middle, knives are on the right....you will understand when you get to chow...those who have been there know what I mean.

Also, if you want to make life really easy and interesting...empty a tube of toothpaste about halfway...then fill it with amonia and top of the tube with by squirting some toothpaste in from another tube. In the middle of the night go to the head and stop up a sink....then soak your belt buckles in the amonia for about 3 minutes, any longer will discolor the brass. The amonia will remove the micro thin plastic coating on the belt buckles they give you. The bulk of your time during poopy week is spent standing around polishing the plastic film off the buckle and it muse be completely off your display buckle and the buckle you wear during your inspections. I think they take away bottles of mouthwash, that is why I recommend the toothpaste tube.

lthackston

bedrock1981 said:
I class up in March and was wondering were the best place would be to stay if I drive in on Friday night. I've heard that the base has a place for us to stay and if it is full then they will reemburst you for an off base hotel. Any truth to this?

The BOQ or Navy Lodge doesn't have to be full for you to receive a reimbursement for off base lodging. You just have to keep it below 90 bucks or so and be sure you bring your receipts with you when you check in (for lodging, gas, food, etc..). If you don't want to stay on base, just do a search online for days inn, ramada, holiday inn and so on and shop for the best price. It might also be a good idea to call the place to make sure it's open. A few hotels are still closed due to hurricane damage.

albie

In The DEP, OCS April 9, 2005, Designator NFO
Up to how many days are you reimbursed for, for off base lodging?

albie

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I don't think they give out belt buckles with quarter master any longer. A few classes behind mine were given anodized (wimps!). I sure HATED polishing that crap off my buckle. I rubbed my thumbs raw. I don't suppose it is an evolution designed to be enjoyable though.

lthackston

albie said:
Up to how many days are you reimbursed for, for off base lodging?

albie

It depends on how far away you are. To give you an idea, Knoxville, TN was just into the two days of travel range. I'm sure somewhere there is a distance list for several cities, but I don't have a clue where that would be.

GeoffStahl

Former E-2/FA-18 NFO
BTW, since I have been here I have seen this question about when to show up. I gave the pat answer to show up as late as possible. Here is another way to think about it...

** Note: When I went through AOCS the DOR rate was >50% some class started with 30-50 and ended up with 7, one class had like 5. So I suspect (again based on what folks here are saying) that this insight will apply EVEN more in today's OCS

If you are a the kind of person who will make it through OCS, do well and fly for the Navy, it should not matter when you show up, the first days are just noise. Someone who can't get through the first 48 hours would not make it through the program no matter when they showed up and someone who is committed, prepared, and gets through the program will make it through no matter when they show up. So in the end show up whenever, commit to the mission at hand, kick some ass, and come out the other side smiling (understanding that when you showed up such a small deal you laugh)...

My two cents. In any case good luck to all. Godspeed and kick some ass.

Sabre170

None
Listen, I am in OCS now. I asked this question and was told do not check in on Saturday, just come in on Sunday. So I got a hotel Friday and Saturday night and checked into OCS on Sunday, now my expenses for the hotel are not going to be reimbursed. If you want to be reimbursed, if have to check into OCS on Saturday and GET THEM TO STAMP YOUR ORDERS saying no room available. They will not keep you, because they will not be ready for you until Sunday.

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
Chopteam6 said:
If you check in early on Sunday your voice will be gone that much sooner!!!

Definately wait as long as you can before checking in on sunday. Since chow is one of the worst places to be at OCS, if I were you I would hang out with in the OCS area and observe what is going on without being too obvious or letting on you are there for OCS...then watch your class mates go to chow for lunch...check in after they are done eating. My recommendation is to check in anytime after they go to lunch and before they go to dinner.

Here is a tip for the chow hall....forks are to the left, spoons in the middle, knives are on the right....you will understand when you get to chow...those who have been there know what I mean.

Also, if you want to make life really easy and interesting...empty a tube of toothpaste about halfway...then fill it with amonia and top of the tube with by squirting some toothpaste in from another tube. In the middle of the night go to the head and stop up a sink....then soak your belt buckles in the amonia for about 3 minutes, any longer will discolor the brass. The amonia will remove the micro thin plastic coating on the belt buckles they give you. The bulk of your time during poopy week is spent standing around polishing the plastic film off the buckle and it muse be completely off your display buckle and the buckle you wear during your inspections. I think they take away bottles of mouthwash, that is why I recommend the toothpaste tube.
What the Hell are you talking about? I never had to do any of that crap while I was there. Stop filling people's heads up with bumb gouge and just worry about getting commissioned, dum_ss!

Status
Not open for further replies.