• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Checking in Earlier to OCS or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre170

None
for those of you in OCS or that have finished...

If I am to report on January 22 (Saturday) what is a good day to arrive in Pensacola?

I have heard that I amy not be able to check in until Sunday, but I would like to drive down there, meet others in my class and have a Friday night dinner... That being said is there other stuff to do? Or would you recommend getting there a few days early to look around, get familiar with the base and town, or is that all a waste a time?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
you won't have to check in till Sunday. in fact you may as weel wait till sunday afternoon. What hours do they say you can check in during on your orders?

do NOT! go in saturday, they'll just send you away.

Meet with your classmates friday and saturday. Look for the thread on places to eat.

usaf

Guys, spent many great times there in Pensacola. You have to go eat at McGuire's. They have the best Steaks, food anywhere in the country. Very reasonable and the place most junior officers like to hang out.

Rudy

jwgross

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You should go in at 0600 on Saturday, to show how motivated you are! And definitely try to become the number one guy in your OCS class.

Or... show up at the last minute on Sunday, try to chill out throughout the entire time there, and just be happy you're done when you are.

Either way, you'll wind up an Ensign. And remember:

'Sir, indoctrination candidate Schmuckatelli, indoctrination class XX-05, requests permission to speak to class drill instructor, gunnery sergeant Badass, United States Marine Corps.'

That will save your hide.

And I'm serious about Sunday. Show up late. You'll get yelled at, but the DI's don't show up until Wednesday, and by then someone else has probably taken the role of Class Dumbass, so you needn't worry.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If you show up an hour before your NLT orders say, you'll be yelled at. That said, if you show up at 0800, you will get yelled at for that much longer. Enjoy your last days of freedom before checking in. When we were Canidos, two guys showed up at 0730, and we gave them the option of making themselves scarce and coming back later, both insisted on staying. The indoc sub-commander was like "Okay..."

Sabre170

None
I read in a previous post that someone said to get your orders stamped on Saturday and then come back to check in on Sunday... This way you get another day of per diem.

Is this true or will I be required to stay their if I get my orders stamped on Saturday?

GeoffStahl

Former E-2/FA-18 NFO
Sabre170 said:
I read in a previous post that someone said to get your orders stamped on Saturday and then come back to check in on Sunday... This way you get another day of per diem.

Is this true or will I be required to stay their if I get my orders stamped on Saturday?

Wow, this seems like over thinking the problem. You'll hhave lots of time to grab an extra day of per diem when you are jetting your way around the mid-east.

Way back when you showed up and got yelled at. Did not really matter when. If you were early you got stuck in a room and worked on your gouge, sitting at attention. To me, no need to be real early. Attention to detail, the orders say when you must show up by, make it before then.

Funny though, looking back the Canido's now seem like a simple problem compared to the DI's. Not sure how things are now (that was back in 1988 and 1989 at AOCS).

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I checked in Saturday night. It was no issue. The stashed ensign that was there stamped the orders and away I went. There were no candi o's or anyone else for that matter. That being said, this was 3 years ago. If you check in at the schools command quarterdeck, you'll have no problem.

H

Honour_Class

Now I am not terribly sure where you need to check in now. When I went it was the schools command quarterdeck but with Officer Training Command - Pensacola being stood up and OCS no longer belonging to NASC it could be different now.

Still, there is no reason to go before Sunday at noon. Make sure you eat and drink plenty of fluids before you go.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Go anytime Sunday afternoon. NLT say 1600. I rolled in around 2000 Sunday night. Man were the candios pissed at me. Well, it was well worth the extra 8 hours of freedom. I ate a good BBQ dinner and saw a movie that afternoon. I checked in, got my gear issued and went straight to bed. I didnt have to deal with the candio bs that day. Hey, for me it was one less day of crap. Decide for yourself when you think you need to show. Its really not that big of a deal.

Dave

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
Dude,
this is not really that big of a deal compared to all of the other sh--t that you will have to go through while you are there. Just show up on Sunday. I know your orders say Saturday, and no one I know says they know why. Nothing even happens until Sunday anyway. The only other thing you need to know is drink a lot of water and get ready to be verbally assaulted!

Hey Sabre,

What have you decided to do?

I showed up on Saturday and got my orders stamped to get reimbursed for the room at the Q. That night at McGuires, all the people that had met at airwarriors had dinner and agreed to meet Sunday at noon to go in together.

As we stood there on Sunday getting yelled at, I was envious of the guys that rolled in after dinner. Savor your last few hours of freedom and your first few weeks of OCS will be more tolerable.

PS - Memorize the big four this week so you'll know it for next week.

Sabre170

None
Maybe I should show up on Sunday at 1100 and go up to the for Candy O I see and act like I am ready to check in then say, Sike!, then leave to come back in 45 minutes and spend the last 15 minutes of my civi life on the steps thinking about stepping over the threshhold of the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.