• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Charleston Navy Weps Base Space-A

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Ok, so the Mrs and I are taking some leave and heading out East for a little road trip from Charleston, SC down to S. FL. Stopping along the way in Savannah, Jax, St Augustine, Palm Beach, etc.

We were planning on shacking up at the base in Charleston. Anyone stayed there before or familiar with it? I've been to Charleston once on my drive from DC to Pensacola but stayed in kind of a pricey inn on the waterfront. We're staying at some pretty nice places in GA and FL, so we're trying to save some dough at our 1st stop. Any gouge would be much appreciated!!!

Navyfan06

pilot
Don't stay at the Weapons station. Its way the hell out there in goose creek, not in CHarleston like the name makes you think. If you really want to stay at a base, stay at the Air Force base, its at least in North Charleston which you can hop on I-26 and be down town in a few. But you can get some reasonable hotel deals in Charleston, check out some of the sites. Also check with the AF base ITT office and they may have hotel deals out in town as well. Charleston is a great town, although I am very bias, I went to college there for 4 years and absolutly love the town. I would stay at a nicer place in Charleston so you can be near downtown. But here is the site for the MWR people at Chas. Af Base.

http://www.437services.com/

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
If you're going to be in Savannah on a weekend, try getting a reservation for the murder mystery dinner event at The Pirate House. It's pretty damn funny, considering Savannah is pretty damn boring.

(order the chicken, the steak tastes like water, and the salmon tastes like sugar)

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Great, thanks! Spoke to the AF base and they have availability for like $35/night. We're just going for 3 nights and we don't even get in until 1am the 1st night. They told me they're 10 min from downtown, so that's good. Is the base nice? Nice space A? Any restaurant/bar suggestions?

Also, any restaurant/bar suggestions for Savannah and Jax?

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
If you're going to be in Savannah on a weekend, try getting a reservation for the murder mystery dinner event at The Pirate House. It's pretty damn funny, considering Savannah is pretty damn boring.

(order the chicken, the steak tastes like water, and the salmon tastes like sugar)

Awesome! We love that kind of stuff. Also the ghost tour stuff is fun too...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Don't stay at the Weapons station. Its way the hell out there in goose creek, not in CHarleston like the name makes you think. If you really want to stay at a base, stay at the Air Force base, its at least in North Charleston which you can hop on I-26 and be down town in a few. But you can get some reasonable hotel deals in Charleston, check out some of the sites. Also check with the AF base ITT office and they may have hotel deals out in town as well. Charleston is a great town, although I am very bias, I went to college there for 4 years and absolutly love the town. I would stay at a nicer place in Charleston so you can be near downtown. But here is the site for the MWR people at Chas. Af Base.

http://www.437services.com/
Yeah what she said.....also call the VISITORS CENTER>>>you willl get an awesome hotel for an awesome price, especially midweek....if you stay at the Weapons Station, you are liable to have Hamad the terrorist in a cell next to you.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
. It's pretty damn funny, considering Savannah is pretty damn boring.

I wouldn't say its boring at all. Plus the Pirates house has always just been tourist trap.

Savannah - Spankys is great for Chicken fingers, Shuckers is good for oysters. Both are on River Street. A lot of locals go out to the Crab Shack on Tybee. It has become very touristy over the past couple of years but a lot of the people who live on islands go there. You can also go to Paula Dean's but be prepared for a long wait. If you want Paula Deans food without all the extra price and hassle go to Uncle Bubba on Whitemarsh island. It is about 10 mins from downtown. It is own by Paula Dean.

A great place to stay that is pricey is the River Street Inn. One of the rooms is haunted and they have a "Log book" that guest fill out with they things happen in the room.

A nice deal for a night is a private carriage ride/tour. They will pick up at almost any downtown place. Go out for a nice dinner at 1790's or the Pink house and have the carriage meet you there. Don't tell you wife, just walk out on time and get right in for the hour long tour. You get bonus points for that.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot

You could also take a stab at getting a seat in Paula Dean's restaurant, Lady and Sons but that's going to be a huge crapshoot as it's probably the biggest attraction to the city beyond its history atmosphere. No reservations, no phone-in names on the waitlist, and you pretty much have to get to the restaurant prior to 9am to even get your name on for lunch or dinner. The only preferential treatment I'm aware of is that if you take her "food tour" (kinda like a ghost tour I guess), you get preferred dinner seating, however I don't know exactly what that entails though they made clear it's still no garuntee. I'll let you know how it works out this weekend. (parents figured they'd come to town and see me before I disappear into the Navy or something)

I wouldn't say its boring at all. Plus the Pirates house has always just been tourist trap.

Psssh, but they have Cap'n Jack Sparrow conducting tours every 15 minutes! What's tourist-trappy about that??

lmnop

FLYTPAY said:
Yeah what she said.....also call the VISITORS CENTER>>>you willl get an awesome hotel for an awesome price, especially midweek....if you stay at the Weapons Station, you are liable to have Hamad the terrorist in a cell next to you.

For the OP....I agree completely with FLYT and Navyfan...don't take the link to the NWS site as an endorsement of staying in Goose Creek. If you're dead set on going the Space A lodging route, than the AFB is the best bet, but do check out what you might be able to get downtown.

As far as restaurants, bars, etc....Charleston is an awesome town for eating and drinking. If you're looking for an upscale meal one evening definitely check out Peninsula Grill, Magnolia, McCrady's or Charleston Grill. There are alot of other great options, it is tourist season though so restaurants are bound to be packed. For bars Blind Tiger and The Griffin used to be decent, not sure what's good these days...the area around market and east bay is chock full of bars and you should be able to find something that suits you. For breakfast I'd hit Hominy Grill or Poogan's Porch.

My info might be a little dated, so if any of the guys that have left there recently have better gouge please share.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Regarding Savannah:
I forget the name of it, but they have a big Yellow and Red sign/logo I think on River St. (whatever the one closest to the water is) that is a great Chicken place. They give you more than you ask for, have good sweet tea (and I'm sure beer... I wasn't 21 at the time I went) and whatnot.

Walk throughout the town of Savannah - it's beautiful, the Spanish Moss trees and all really make it feel like that beautiful southern town you imagine in your mind. The town squares are kind of cool to see, and there is plenty to do as I recall it from last summer.

rhinoh82

Dining in Charleston,

Charleston Grill-Food is outstanding (world renown chef), uses local farmers/fisherman for menu items, offer different chef's specials each night. $$$/$$$$
Sticky Fingers-Great Barbeque, casual dining. $
Hyman's Seafood-Same great recipe used for decades now, great fresh seafood. $$
California Dreamin'-Sits right on the Harbor. Nice views of Charleston Marina and Downtown from across the Ashley River. Food is good and reasonably priced (Is a chain, local to SC, GA, & NC) $$
Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B.)-Great spin on classic low-country/southern dishes. Also uses local farmers. $$$
Wild Wing Cafe-Great for beer and wings, also offers burgers and wraps. Located right in the market. Usually have live bands every Friday and Saturday night. $/$$
High Cotton-Great Brunch, also great dinner entrees. $$/$$$
Sienna-Awesome Italian food, located on Daniel Island. If you love Italian, definitely check this place out. I'm thinking of making it my last meal (I'm leaving for OCS in 6 short weeks). $$$
The Woodlands Resort/Inn-South Carolina's only 5 diamond restaurant, one of only a hand full on the whole east coast. Located in Summerville, about 30 mins up I-26 from downtown. $$$$$ Coat and tie are a must!

smattles1of2

The Inns of Charleston at the air force base is pretty nice. We stayed there a bunch of times when we were getting ready to move here. (We currently live in Goose Creek near the base). You are only minutes from I-26 which takes you straight to downtown. And the AF base is really nice with the exchange and commissary next to the hotel. (If I remember right). We also ate breakfast on base, but I can't remember what it was called.

Anywhoo...have a great trip. :)