• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing your DCP...has anyone on here done it before?

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Hey guys, I was looking into changing my DCP (Degree Completion Program) and graduation date from December 2010 to May 2011. I've completed the proper change form, but was wondering what the odds were of getting it changed - my recruiter said at swear-in that it was difficult to change it at all. I've heard of people doing it before, and the fact that the Navy has been pushing back OCS dates and flight school slots (as well as RIF'ing some officers...) lately due to none being available is a sign to me that they may go for it to have one less pilot in the pipeline so soon.

Does anyone have any info on whether or not it may be approved - and please no "it could be approved if you apply" answers, I know that and am not a rookie...looking for prior experiences with this and possibly someone who may be in the know with the approval process. I can graduate on time as originally approved, but it will require an overload on my last semester due to being unable to enroll in a fall-specific course, forcing me to take an extra class this fall. If it's approved I can take a leisurely 12-hour semester for both the fall and spring semesters and one less in the summer.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information!

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Convincing the NAVY to change something for you will probably be harder then convincing your school to allow you to do something in order to get your credits. Talk to your school, see if they will allow you to do an independent study, or graduate you with less credits, I have seen that done before. If you explain your situation, I am sure that they will do something for you. The NAVY invests a lot of money in the BDCP guys, so when we are done with school they want us out there immediately. In fact a lot of spots at OCS are reserved for BDCP guys.
Good Luck

NTXRockr

Yeah I've tried to get the school to accept other credits (I have over 200 hours) or allow me to duplicate credit with one class, etc. but they've actually increased my requirements the past year, saying that since I've re-enrolled the past year ago they've added a third lab science and changed the rules for foreign language by now requiring 14 hours of it instead of allowing the exemption I had for my high school Spanish. So those 18 added hours plus two classes that were offered in both semesters now only in the fall has thrown a kink in the plans. Like I said before, I could still complete the plan as scheduled but it would require 17 hours in the summer and an overloaded fall, not easy for anyone. If I can get it changed I can take just 14 in the summer (all four Spanish classes accelerated) and then do 12 hours in the fall and spring.

I understand that they are accounting for BDCP grads to come in at a certain time and have slots allotted for us, but if they are running slim and the outlook is for more openings later, it may be in their favor to push me back 6 months and open up mine for someone else. Who knows? Only they do...but just curious as to how many people have applied for the change and how many have actually got the change approved.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Your recruiter is probably the only one who is going to be able to answer this man. You told the big Navy you were going to graduate at a certain time and put a plan together showing them that. If you don't, that's kind of on you.

blarged

ready
Didn't your school also sign the DCP saying that if you take the classes listed that you will graduate? I'm not sure what you mean by the re-enrolled but I would think that since the school signed off saying those were the classes that you needed to graduate, then as long as you take those classes, the Navy will have your back.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Yeah I've tried to get the school to accept other credits (I have over 200 hours) or allow me to duplicate credit with one class, etc. but they've actually increased my requirements the past year, saying that since I've re-enrolled the past year ago they've added a third lab science and changed the rules for foreign language by now requiring 14 hours of it instead of allowing the exemption I had for my high school Spanish. So those 18 added hours plus two classes that were offered in both semesters now only in the fall has thrown a kink in the plans. Like I said before, I could still complete the plan as scheduled but it would require 17 hours in the summer and an overloaded fall, not easy for anyone. If I can get it changed I can take just 14 in the summer (all four Spanish classes accelerated) and then do 12 hours in the fall and spring.

I understand that they are accounting for BDCP grads to come in at a certain time and have slots allotted for us, but if they are running slim and the outlook is for more openings later, it may be in their favor to push me back 6 months and open up mine for someone else. Who knows? Only they do...but just curious as to how many people have applied for the change and how many have actually got the change approved.
I just got back from doing the PRT, there was a guy that had just graduated OCS. It turns out that this guy had a similar problem while on the BDCP and he was able to convince the NAVY to let him go to OCS 6 months later. So, I am taking my words back. This may be possible, just talk to your program manager, see what he says.

pmasters

I have never once actually enrolled in the classes I put down for my DCP. Generally, the DCP requires 20/20 foresight on what classes will be offered when and if they will or will not conflict with one another. Might recommend having your adviser sign off on a generic schedule detailing which major/gen ed/other classes you are taking and which requirements they may satisfy.

I used to fill out new ones, but I'm pretty sure as long as you do not give your recruiter the impression that your scheduled graduation is not in danger, it is not an issue.

To actually change it, it just seemed a matter of having an adviser's approval and the recruiter putting the correct mailing address on it. Shouldn't be an issue.

NTXRockr

Thanks for the posts guys. As for what my issue is, there are two courses left that I have to have to graduate with my bachelors program. One was offered in the fall, spring and summer last year (before I had re-enrolled into this university after completing another degree program - all pre-BDCP stuff) but now it's only being offered in the fall. The second one is only offered in the fall and I was unsuccessful in enrolling in it last semester. So both are needed to complete my program, but I already have a full load for the fall scheduled since I didn't get into anything else that would work. I am moving one of those classes to the summer but that's putting it up to 17 hours, and adding the two to the fall puts me in overload. So changing it would make my job easier but I'm still registering for courses to graduate on the original timeline barring the Navy not approving the change.

Yes, the university signed off on the classes, but they never guarantee that I get into the classes needed. I signed my DCP with "upper level electives" listed so I take what I want that fits the criteria, but I still have a couple of key classes that have to be taken. They won't allow me to substitute those classes so I'm stuck with having to take them.

As far as my recruiter and processor helping, they've already sent my paperwork in to the Navy for the change so that's taken care of. The only thing that I'm interested in is how many people have applied for a change and have been approved for it - they have told me that it is difficult to be approved for it but it can be done. After hearing of the one guy already it sounds plausible, so I'm hopeful. Thanks for the insight guys.

govols

for clarification: as long as graduation is not in danger then the navy doesnt care right? on my DCP i put down a specific class for the fall of 2010 but that class conflicts with a required class, so I registered for another class. I am awaiting the results for the april SWO board right now but I don't want to cause a hassle for anybody and was just trying to figure out if it is as simple as telling the OR that I am not taking metaphysics or is it more complex. i have 30 hours of electives to fill and like an idiot I put down some specific classes.

BUDU

I did the same (chose specific classes instead of leaving it vague); I talked to my processor, he said as long as my graduation date doesn't change it isn't a problem. I'd imagine it's the same for you.

NTXRockr

It's not a huge issue, but technically they could come back on you for it...but they won't. As long as you graduate when you said you would, you can take whatever you'd like. My issue was that 2 specific classes required for my degree weren't available in the Spring and I couldn't enroll in them in the fall (due to seniors like me registering for them a week sooner), so I have to take them plus the five classes in the fall I was planning on taking already. So that puts me at 21 hours, or 18 if I bumped one to the summer with my 14 hours of accelerated Spanish. The college didn't like this idea, and neither does the Navy, so I'm awaiting confirmation that my change is approved. They sent back the paperwork to have me change my DCP again and have the advisers sign off on it, so it should be cleared in the next week or two. I'm hoping not longer than that, as my class I bumped up to the summer (in anticipation of not being approved and having to take 17 and 18 hours) is coming up and I need to drop it before paying for it...plus that would mean it was a wasted class as I'll still have another extra one to take next Spring to maintain 12 hours.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yes, I did. I changed around the order of the classes, and told my OR I would. No big deal. Didn't change the date I'd graduate so he said it didn't matter. If you change the TIME you'll be completing your degree, that's a BIG deal and will require approval.

NTXRockr

Yes, I'm changing the time I graduate...moving it from December 2010 to May 2011. Again, the whole issue is I wasn't able to register for two major-specific courses in the fall and that's the only time when they're available. So now I have to double up on the classes I've already allotted for the fall semester plus these two courses, putting me at 21 hours...or I push it back to May and allow me to split the classes over two semesters. I'm due to have the approval any day now, so it looks like it should work out fine for me. I'm already registered for Summer and Fall, so I'm golden for the classes I need to take - no more last minute hiccups.

NTXRockr

Update...so I was stressing that I wouldn't find out in time to drop the class on Monday, especially with Millington recently flooded. But just today while speaking with my recruiters the approval came in and I'm now approved to postpone my graduation to May 2011. So for those of you considering this, by all means it is doable and worth the try if you have to change your graduation date. I think the fact that the pilot pipeline is backed up right now helped the decision, but who knows what guided their decision. Thanks for all the input!

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
Wow, that's awesome you could get the delay. My DCP is almost entirely innacurate now that I studied abroad. I told my recruiter that pretty much every class on there is gonna be dicked up and in the wrong order and he said that would be fine as long as I still graduated on time. I'm taking a few summer school classes to make up for lost time while studying in the UK, but it was totally worth it. Still graduating in June 2011. I feel your pain with the classes only being offered at certain times though. I actually had to get approval to take classes without the prerequisites from the professor to still graduate on time.