• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of being deployed

Phantom89

First time poster, somewhat long time reader, I tried doing a search on this and I didn't come up with any satisfactory results, sorry if this a repeat thread.

I have recently enrolled in the Marine Delayed Enrollment Program, gone through MEPs and taken the ASVAB (got a 92), I am only 17 and still have a year of high school to go before I get sent to Parris Island. I will be in the reserves, trained to work the systems on the Cobra.

I plan on attending college after graduating from high school, what I am concerned about are my chances of having my reserve unit deployed while I am attending college, I want to serve my country to the best of my ability while at the same time getting a good education, if the time comes I will have absolutely no problem going wherever I am sent by my country.

I would just like to know if anybody can tell me how likely it is that I will be sent and how much it would disrupt my education if I was sent. Also I understand that the unit may leave behind a small amount of people to handle unit affairs at the base, while I may be forced into spending alot more time on the base then my one weekend a month would it be possible for me to stay behind in this role?

Sorry for the length of the post, sorry for anything else I may have screwed up, this is my first time ever posting on a forum this large, and thank you in advance for your responses.

Tom

pilot06

Phantom89,
I was in the Air National Guard during college (I worked on F-16s), got deployed to SW Asia during my Junior year, was only gone one semester and it didn't hurt me (wouldn't have hurt me to be gone a year either). College will still be there when you get back. I had nothing but support from my professors and my advisor. Don't try to skip out on a deployment, it's your way of paying back your country for all the great things they've done for you (i.e. college money, your freedom, etc.). Plus its a great way to build character at a young age.

P.S. For future reference don't say you're sorry, say "I apologize" or don't say anything, you had a question, you needed an answer, and you came to a good place to ask it. Good luck to you.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I plan on attending college after graduating from high school, what I am concerned about are my chances of having my reserve unit deployed while I am attending college

I'd say fairly good...you did not after all, join the chair force. The Reserves have been getting pretty cycled lately to the best of my knowledge. Sorry if this is bad news for ya but...the previous poster is absolutely right. College will be here when you get back...just make damn sure you bring your butt back.

usmc96

I can speak for grunt units and I'm sure Reserve Air Wings are the same.

If the operational tempo continues as it has in the past four years, plan on deploying two times for six month's in your four years of college.

Joining the reserves while in college is not a weekend job anymore. Knowing that you WILL go on a deployment during your contract is something that needs to be accepted before making the commitment.

Reserve duty is not easy in anyway nowadays. In a way reservist are almost on the same deployment schedule as active units but they have to take care of their civilian jobs as well.

If you are already trying shirk your commitments while in the DEP, might want to reconsider.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
The quick and dirty answer is plan on deploying at least once during your initial commitment. My younger brother is already on his second deployment in 3 years.

Also I understand that the unit may leave behind a small amount of people to handle unit affairs at the base, while I may be forced into spending alot more time on the base then my one weekend a month would it be possible for me to stay behind in this role?

That's the I&I Staff that doesn't deploy and they are typically admin bubbas so if you're working on Cobras that won't include you.

S/F Doc

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
The good news to all this is that the Marine and Navy have the Servicemembers Opportunity College program.

https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/ncp/socnav.html

This program is basically a group of universities that will accept credit from each other in order for Sailors and Marines to earn a degree. See if your school is in there, and maybe you could take classes on board ship or shore to keep things moving forward while deployed.

In addition, many colleges offer online classes, and many personnel deployed to the Middle East have taken advantage of it.

Independent study may be another option to earn some credit. If a professor will back you, you may be able to buy the books before you leave and write some papers during the year deployment. Depending on your major, you may be able to do some advanced Arabic language study, research a landmark or town, or do some historical research on a region. Lots of social studies or language opportunities.

If you are getting deployed, talk to your departmental couselor and professors at college to see if any of these options would help.

Phantom89

What I was mostly concerned about is how it would affect my college, but what pilot06 stated helps a lot. And I didn't mean to imply that I was trying to shirk any duty to my country, as I understand everyone plays an important part whether deployed or still on base.

I am glad that I came here because I'm getting an honest answer for a change, no more BS from the recruiter, I was about 95% certain that I was going to be deployed anyway, but he was saying just about the opposite of what you guys have told me so far.

Tom

Edit: Thank You greysword, you posted that at the same time I was poting my reply, but that sounds to me like a very good plan of action, I will definitely look into that program.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Phantom,

I looked at your profile and it said that you were looking to do PLC and be in the reserves while in college. Have you considered going Marine Option ROTC? You'll get your tuition paid, and then be commissioned when you graduate, which sounds like your goal.

I could see if you wanted to serve your country in the reserves, then have a civilian career after college as well, but ROTC sounds like a good option for you.

Phantom89

While I was thinking hard about taking NROTC, I decided against it in the end basically because I wanted to experience both sides of the fence, enlisted and officer, I am pretty sure I won't be considered a "mustang" because I am only reserves and not active duty, but I still think I would have a greater understanding of how things work and be a better leader because of it.

Also, if I am fortunate enough, I will become a pilot, and I think that it is always good to have a strong knowledge of how the aircraft works and what better way then to work on it for a couple of years?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I know this is an aviators forum, but my sister's boyfriend is about to complete boot camp for the USMC reserves and he said he was going to be recon. I wasn't aware that there were recon reservists, is that accurate?

Conaway

Passing on the fatherly advice

I would just like to know if anybody can tell me how likely it is that I will be sent and how much it would disrupt my education if I was sent.

Honestly, if you are worried about being deployed and not getting to finish school the whole way through, you should probably reconsider. You're only 17, you have time to enter the service. I went to an AF Recruiter when I was 17 and started signing papers, but I was talked into waiting; I'm almost 23 now and I am trying to go to Marine OCC next summer, I will have graduated college by then. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying you shouldn't do it, however, you should think about what you want more...uninterrupted school, or the service with a pretty good chance of being pulled out of school more than once. Weigh your options man, the way the world is going these days, the chance of deployment to a combat is zone is very real for any service member.