• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of becoming a fighter pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAmookie

There is a correlation between grades in H.S. and grades in college. This is an attitudinal thing not a mental thing. This means there are instances where people dont follow this particular trend (stand. dev.) I've heard of this correlation myself, but doesnt mean that if someone is not motiviated in college (unlike high school, i mean really, who was motivated in high school) they cant pull the grades if they want to.

Platonic

To Aarkh,

Hey kid, in case you are younger than me; if not, then hey kid anyway, you are asking the wrong question. If you are concerned about the chances of becoming a naval aviator, then you have already doubted yourself in becoming one. It takes a believer not a mathematician to even grasp the idea of becoming one of the navy's finest. So try asking how do you get there, screw the chances.

riley

American Ace,

The only thing hard about college is saying no to tasty beverages and girls when you should be studying.

Get good grades because you want to do your best. Play sports because you want the challenge and experience of working with a team. You will be miserable if you do things only to build your resume.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I'm still looking for the "How to become a fighter pilot for Dummies" book. That way I can reference it on this website.... Also I didn't know that there was only one way to Rome.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
wow, so many of you are talking out your ass, it's amazing

try trudging through a swamp in the middle of the night trying to find a Piper that went down with a family aboard

besides for that, let's see, CAP sent me to Switzerland for 3 weeks, gave me $3000 to get my private license, and numerous other really cool stuff that no 16 year-old could ever do

and yes, my private/multi gave me a huge step up in Primary (the 15 hours of PIC time in a T-34B didn't hurt either)

Integer1

Banned
School work

I can see some of the points the moderators have made about their experiences. I concur that it is very simple to get C's in every class and get a diploma and pass 13 weeks in OCS, thus becoming an Officer. Good job!

The 'problem' with AA is that he doesn't have money to throw around and doesn't want to lay his hardwork down right now. It's one thing to do poorly in high school and boost yourself in college; it is quite another to succeed in high school but blow off college. A visible downward decline will not be ignored in many situations, including admission to the Academies (which directly applies to you as you are a candidate.) So, succeed! My advice to AA and the original poster, if you want to attend the Academies, is stick to discussing academic issues with 4.0 students. Stick with highly motivated people who are going through life with you. Avoid people who have already reached their goal--like these pilots here--as that serves you no purpose whatsoever in motivation. In fact, I think some of the information that was shared here was de-motivating. And it doesn't matter whether anybody else but us agrees it was demotivating--you just have to realize how that affects you and choose to ignore it, as you are the one who has to decide for himself what to believe and what not to believe. I don't know, AA, why you are apologizing or quoting statistics. You're doing fine; you should worry more about academics than posting on this forum.

Some of the people here seem to brag about getting where they are with minimum effort exerted. If you are not that type of guy, then none of their experiences apply to you. You don't know these people in real life, so why use them for role models. This forum is good for facts, not role models. Just because there is a fact about someone's experiences, it doesn't mean that person should then be your role model. You cannot confuse the two.

AA, you have a good instinct in realizing that hard work does matter. I am sure that these pilots who posted in this thread simply forgot the hard days they worked and are trying to be modest. :) In fact, some of the posts sound sarcastic!

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Punk said:
try trudging through a swamp in the middle of the night trying to find a Piper that went down with a family aboard

besides for that, let's see, CAP sent me to Switzerland for 3 weeks, gave me $3000 to get my private license, and numerous other really cool stuff that no 16 year-old could ever do.

Punk- you lucked out man. I was in CAP for 2 and a half years... and it sucked. The only fun thing I ever got to do was fly gliders and ride in a few Blackhawks. Mostly it was just old men bossing around the kids so that they could feel powerful and pretend like they were still in the military.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
(I am going to speak on everyone’s behalf so if anyone feels that I have wrongfully portrayed the feeling of most everyone please free to refute with no hard feelings incurred)

Hey integer1 - People come to this forum for information and fun. Most of us on this forum do not brag at all and if we do we're just cuttin up and HAVING FUN. Our intentions are not to toy with peoples emotions or lead them in the wrong direction. Our intention - as current and future officers - is to lead. We want people who are passionate about military aviation or the Navy and Marine Corps or other aspects of the military and we want to help them in any way we can - that’s what we do. We want people to listen to our stories and our experiences and then decide for themselves whether or not that the info they just read is pertinent to their particular situation. Communication is the key, that’s what this is all about. As far as role models are concerned everyone on this forum is a role model in one way or another whether they realize it or not - even you. Someone looks up to someone else for their achievements, and when they do, they say to themselves, “Damn, look at that guy, that’s cool, I want to do that.” It’s simple. All I’m saying is, be careful what you say and when you say it. Think about it before you say it. One day you will be in the fleet and what you say will mater.

Respectfully,
Austin8585

reapergm

First - Please someone tell me that youve seen some people in flight training find success without prior training. I have about 25 hours now, but that means... well nothing. I cant financially afford to get my private, or instrument before OCS. So I hope I can learn quick...

2nd - Im in CAP. Yes, I joined to boost the resume.. but also to learn some more about military aviation and military lifestyle. My squadron is large. They are also HARD CORE! I love it. Ive learned alot. Land nav, drill, etc. etc.. enough to help ease the tension at OCS alittle. For kids its awesome. Senior side is a bit boring at times. There arent alot of emergencies, but whatever. For kids its great. I dont think it will help much for them to get a jet slot in 10 years, but it will keep them motivated during puberty... which might be good I guess. :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Integer1 said:
AA, you have a good instinct in realizing that hard work does matter. I am sure that these pilots who posted in this thread simply forgot the hard days they worked and are trying to be modest. :) In fact, some of the posts sound sarcastic!

I have yet to see where any of the pilots here stated that hard work doesn't matter. Of course anyone (most anyone I suppose) has to work at reaching their goals but American Ace was a bit off the mark as to what it takes to become a fighter pilot, plain and simple. He then lectures me on what it takes to be a military pilot without even once looking at my sig or profile. So some of these posts were sarcastic becasue he came across as your typical want a be that thought he knew it all. I want nothing more than to help those who want to become a part of this fraternity but speaking like you know it all when you have never been is dumb at best and you will be called on it, especially on this website. This is just the internet but you're gonna need thick skin to hack it in the program.

By the way, some people breeze through flight school and some don't. For reapergm, what is success to you? Earning your wings? Then I would say the majority of people are successful in flight school without prior flight time. Now if you're talking jets then I would say the same thing. Most guys I knew who got jets never stepped foot into a cockpit before primary. Now the guys I knew who completely smoked the program, above and beyond what I would call normal, they had mega hours.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Michael W said:
I'm not in this fight, but would like to think prior experience in the flying department would help you out in Primary. Would it help in advanced, who gives a shiznit, your scores in Primary get you where you want to be. I agree, people don't come on here to brag, but I've got like 3000 hours................and yes I'm bragging.............but I've also yet to get into OCS<---------------now I'm not bragging! Lets be realistic, you can have 100 or even 200 hours and not be able to fly yourself out of a wet paper sack, or course, I know thousand hour pilots that can't do that, so that's neither here nor there. Do I honestly think you can take a guy with ZERO hours, put him in a T-34C, and have him compete with me, no I don't, plain and simple, I'll leave it at that. Course rules, the "Navy" way, all the other challengine things you have to learn are important, but let's be honest, EVERYONE has to learn them, that's a given, how good a stick you are gets you the grades, and while this CAN TOO be learned, I'm sorry, experience counts for a lot. Will you find success without prior training, I have no first hand knowledge, and am not pretending to, but can only assume, you bet your sweet arse you can, look at all the guys on here who got their first choice w/no prior experience.....let's be honest......seems to have a lot of luck involved. Are their ways to get free flying time to improve your application, help yourself out, etc. Yup, their sure are, you just have to be creative.

If you truly have 3000 flight hours, it is of my opinion that flight school will be a breeze for you. You're right, experience is key, as is flying ability. If you don't make it through with your hours, then you wouldn't have made it through regardless. The carrier is probably one area that negates some of that flight time. That's a regime that is much different than any other flying, especially at night. I remember one individual who I ran into years ago on my first cruise. He was number one in my primary squadron, smoking the rest of us with something like a 65% NSS. I think he had a couple hundred flight hours and it showed. He did well through intermediate and advanced, selected Tomcats, and then it all came crumbling down at the boat during night CQ. When I ran into him, he was a maintence officer for a certain squadron though he got to at least keep his wings. I would have never guessed that this guy with his ability would lose his right to fly. You just never know.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
reapergm said:
First - Please someone tell me that youve seen some people in flight training find success without prior training. I have about 25 hours now, but that means... well nothing. I cant financially afford to get my private, or instrument before OCS. So I hope I can learn quick...

bud, i had ZERO (0) flight hours when i started flight school four years ago, and i'm flying Hornets now. i haven't read this thread in it's entirety but don't let somebody who hasn't stepped foot into Primary tell you anything, 'cause he/she doesn't have a clue about what it takes to get through Naval flight training. it's my opinion that previous flight time will help you out initially in training, but if you work hard enough and have a good attitude, you will have no problem getting the platform you want.

semper fi

Status
Not open for further replies.