• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CH-53K ground tests

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
How common is it for aircraft involved in an incident to be repaired and put back in service?
I don’t know the real answer. Depends on how needed the aircraft’s services are vs how much it costs to get it back. UH-1s in Vietnam got fixed with duct tape and beer cans and returned to fight the next day. We have far greater wiener-like tendencies these days to prevent us from salvaging.

If that’s a block I Sierra, the SAR livery may accelerate its destiny to be on a stick at the front gate of a base with an overland unit.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
How common is it for aircraft involved in an incident to be repaired and put back in service?
Well, as long as you still have the data plate, you can repair and replace everything else...

s-l300.jpg

Just kidding. Well, sort of.

(You can actually replace the data plate too.)

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
<Insert meme about out-going relevancy of HSC>

210905-M-EE465-1208.jpg

Full article here. First fleet op for the Kilo, apparently.

Noticed that the fuel capacity is roughly 15,500 lbs - about the same as the 53E and substantially less than the Navy version. As 53’s cube out before they run out of power, any idea if there are provisions for external tanks that can be jettisoned like the 53E?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Noticed that the fuel capacity is roughly 15,500 lbs - about the same as the 53E and substantially less than the Navy version. As 53’s cube out before they run out of power, any idea if there are provisions for external tanks that can be jettisoned like the 53E?
No.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I've flown an HH-60H that had been overtaken by a number of giant waves on a CVN flight deck and a UH-72A that had almost its entire main rotor system replaced after a crash. So, like HSMPBR said, depends.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've flown an HH-60H that had been overtaken by a number of giant waves on a CVN flight deck and a UH-72A that had almost its entire main rotor system replaced after a crash. So, like HSMPBR said, depends.

There were a couple of Phrogs that were literal Frankenstein monsters and were cobbled together from the remains of crashed/pranged Phrogs. Also several TH-57s have been rebuilt.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I dropped off a Bravo to Sikorsky in TX, they gave us a tour and there were two brand spakin' new -60Gs from country X that had crashed in the jungle. They said they were going to remove everything but the data plate and the bulkhead just aft of the pilot seats and then rebuild off of that. Essentially it would be brand new again. I can't find the press release on the Google, but the work sounded impressive.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There were a couple of Phrogs that were literal Frankenstein monsters and were cobbled together from the remains of crashed/pranged Phrogs. Also several TH-57s have been rebuilt.
They took the three old ADVCAP test jets after that program got cancelled, and cobbled them together into one FrankenProwler.

On a side note, ICAP III was cool, but I would have loved to have at least seen or read about what that ADVCAP jet would have been. All the stuff online is kind of vague and airshow fanboyish.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Some impressive cabin pics of the Kilo: Note the interior walls not exposed with plumbing and electrical wiring harnesses - that made the interior of the '46 and 53E such a mess. I remember picking up '46's from the Cherry Point Depot as part of the SR&M program and Boeing had installed sound proof blankets on all interior surfaces that neatly hid plumbing and wiring and really made the cabin look awesome - only for some idiot Senior Chief to order them removed because "it made extra work" for the troops - I notice that Marine MV-22's have all the interior covering removed but the CV-22's do not.

Also notice Marines wearing HGU-56/p (again witgh ugly white tape - yes I'll die on this hill) and the thick soled brown boots that are polished. 33140

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Some impressive cabin pics of the Kilo: Note the interior walls not exposed with plumbing and electrical wiring harnesses - that made the interior of the '46 and 53E such a mess. I remember picking up '46's from the Cherry Point Depot as part of the SR&M program and Boeing had installed sound proof blankets on all interior surfaces that neatly hid plumbing and wiring and really made the cabin look awesome - only for some idiot Senior Chief to order them removed because "it made extra work" for the troops - I notice that Marine MV-22's have all the interior covering removed but the CV-22's do not.

View attachment 33138

Also notice Marines wearing HGU-56/p (again witgh ugly white tape - yes I'll die on this hill) and the thick soled brown boots that are polished. View attachment 33140
I think the dude in the fancy boots is a company man, clearly a former military aviator.