• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CH-53K ground tests

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
And this is the Chinook those big engines (with the appropriate upgrades to the transmission and combining gearbox) should be added to: the Model 347 (it is still on display at Fort Rucker)

The aircraft was extensively modified and featured a 110 inch stretch in the main cabin, retractable landing gear, a four blade rotor system in which the blades were longer than the standard CH-47D blades by 30 inches, and an aft pylon extended upwards by 30 inches.

http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/history/aircraft/A_Models/65-07992/65-07992.html

The Boeing Vertol BV-347 in flight with the gondola extended.

The Boeing Vertol BV-347 with the wing rotated vertically.

The Boeing Vertol BV-347 undergoing flight testing.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Checkout this CH-53K cockpit simulator - One solid glass display panel and sidestick cyclic...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s a low-cost trainer. It just uses off the shelf computer parts to give a general cockpit mock-up, it’s not representative of the actual hardware. You can see the screens simulate the bezels of the actual physical-button MFDs.

We had them to practice button-pushing, switchology, and learn the new HOL software in VFA.
Did you use them in Whidbey too?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
<Insert meme about out-going relevancy of HSC>

210905-M-EE465-1208.jpg

Full article here. First fleet op for the Kilo, apparently.

Pags

N/A
pilot
<Insert meme about out-going relevancy of HSC>

210905-M-EE465-1208.jpg

Full article here. First fleet op for the Kilo, apparently.
Thanks for posting this as I keep forgetting to do it. The old 60 guy in me doesn't like this but the current NAVAIR pogue who's been working the 53K program for a bit is way excited to see the K doing what it was designed to do: heavy lift at high altitude.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What are those things in the coffee cup holders? Just above the red switch…

Not sure if you're serious, but they appear to be input dealies to control the cursor/screen on the MPDs. I guess like everything -53, they're a tad huge and over the top when compared to the PCOSI on the -60, but they do look comfy to rest your hand on.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Some more shots from the lift evolution on dvids:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not sure if you're serious, but they appear to be input dealies to control the cursor/screen on the MPDs. I guess like everything -53, they're a tad huge and over the top when compared to the PCOSI on the -60, but they do look comfy to rest your hand on.
Half serious and just kidding about the cup holders. Thanks, I really had no idea.

exNavyOffRec

Some more shots from the lift evolution on dvids:

How common is it for aircraft involved in an incident to be repaired and put back in service?