• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CH 53 looses engine @ FEXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Ok so we just got done w/FEXII. During the helo ride out to the training area it was raining pretty hard, so looking out the back of the bird I couldn't really tell if we were over the LZ (cielings were pretty low) Then all the sudden I notice we are like 50 feet over what turned out to be the Patomic River. Kinda a freaky feeling. A few moments later we land at HMX1 in a rolling fashion (not straight down like in the LZ) So we run out the back and drop our packs in a hanger, and minute later the pilots come over and were like " yeah we lost an engine and LZ ops wouldn't have been safe. So everyone was like "Holy Crap" we lost an engine.....whooooa!!! But it turns out the 53 has three engines (thank goodness) so it wasn't really that big a deal, but something noteworthy i think.

It turns out that the pilots were actually Cobra pilots originally and got to transition to the 53 and also the blackhawk. I thought that was pretty cool the Marines allow that. I guess HMX1 would be a sweet duty station as a Marine Helo pilot.

Reactions: E5B

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Then all the sudden I notice we are like 50 feet over what turned out to be the Patomic River.

Makes the pre-flight safety brief on how to ditch in the event of a water landing seem a lot more important all of a sudden :)

Remember having the same feeling the first time I flew over the Colorado. I was kind of gaffing off the safety brief before the flight, but the first time the pilot took a hard turn and I was looking straight down at the water from the side-seat, everything came back in a flash.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Loosing an engine in a 53 isn't a big deal unless we're real heavy and the DA is high. Even then we can pickle the Aux tanks (which would immediately get rid of 9,000 lbs) AND dump fuel (and pickle the external load if picking up externals) . So if they didn't pickle the tanks then it wasn't a hairy emergency. On our Weight and Power forms for preflight, we plan for dual and single engine ops which tells us the airspeed to fly to maintain straight and level and the amount of fuel we need to dump. It's standard to execute either a running landing or no-hover landing. A running landing is desired if a runway can be made because it keeps you in translational lift which reduces the power required and gives you a little more margin on your power available. On my second flight in the 53, the instructor pulled an engine back (sneaky)and I didn't even notice performance wise. Loosing two engines is pretty noticable but very survivable.

Yeah, HMX-1 sounds like a sweet deal. A skid guy gets to pick being a HAC in the 53 or 46 and Copilot the other, then gets to fly the 60 and H-3 also. Phrog guys get to HAC the phrog, copilot the 53 and fly the H-3 and 60, 53 guys do the opposite.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Mr Rotor Trash

KBayDog said:
"Us." "We." "Our."

Listen to you, E5B - you sound like helo trash already :)

That's "Rotor Trash"...

HMX-1 gets all the good gear/birds so I'm interested to see what caused the engine lose.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
[Yeah, HMX-1 sounds like a sweet deal. A skid guy gets to pick being a HAC in the 53 or 46 and Copilot the other, then gets to fly the 60 and H-3 also. Phrog guys get to HAC the phrog, copilot the 53 and fly the H-3 and 60, 53 guys do the opposite.[/QUOTE]

I fail to see where the SKid guy got a "good" deal out of this. Im kiding Im kidding HMX is a good deal though not career enhancing right now based on teh last LtCol board results

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
E5B said:
That's "Rotor Trash"...

HMX-1 gets all the good gear/birds so I'm interested to see what caused the engine lose.
FOD almost every time, those EAPS are FOD waiting to happen, Sikorsky is re-designing them.
I lost an engine at about 50K at 1,000ft, the only reason we noticed was because the crew said they smelled gas in the back, when I looked at the Quad Tach the #2 eng.TQ was at 0. Flew 120kts for two hours dual engine.

I say it again....behold the power of the Big Iron.

theduke

Fuel control component of some sort failed. Engine was spinning up out of control, so they had to shut it down.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Sounds like an Nf Flex shaft failure. No big deal, at least it made the ride exciting.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
duke: It's been 2 years, but I believe Nf is the Power Turbine speed (Remember that by using "(N)ot (f)orward").

Ng is the gas generator as I recall
Nt is Transmission speed
Nr is Rotor Speed
The real question is: What is FNg? :D

Edit: Not sure what a "flex shaft" is though...not a -53 bubba.
Is that just the power turbine? or maybe is it some sort of linkage into the C-Box? Do 53's even have a C-Box? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.