• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CG types to be SEALs

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
It says they'll be assigned to SEAL teams -- so there will be Coasties within Navy SEAL teams? What's the point here?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Web San, I think I detect a bit of humor here and I think it went over everyone's head. Am I correct? :D

I believe that was referring to the traditional six-foot height minimum to be a Coastie. So that if thier cutter sinks, they can wade home.

This is the damndest thing I've seen in a long time. I'd be really curious to find out the rationale behind this program.

Nothing wrong with it per se, but what does the CG gain from doing this? Is there some skill set the CG feels it needs and it would gain by having Budweiser-wearers in its ranks? Or some something the CG has that NSW feels it needs? Neither seems very likely.

Unless maybe the idea would be to send them to SBS/SDV units?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always the possibility that this is designed to give them the option to train up a cadre for the establishment of some kind of organic unit down the line.

They get training/experience, NSW gets another personnel source. Seems win-win.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would assume that all candidates for BUD/S must meet the existing standards irrespective of branch.

Just curious, how often do non-US Navy types go through BUD/S? I have heard of foreign students, but have never seen anything first-hand about it. Are there different 'standards' for the foreign types, if they do in fact go through?

Zissou

Banned
The day NSW or any US Military force is kicking in the doors of US citizens will be ....very very bad. I hope that never happens.

I believe the only driving force behind this was NSW's manning issues.

Flash,

Students from foreign armed forces do attend BUD/S. They are granted some extraordinary benefit of the doubt on some evolutions. i.e. wetsuits in Hellweek and they never seem to fail anything no matter how poorly the perform. But, the only foreign officer in my class was absolutely hard as nails. He was Thai Special Forces and kicked ass.

My class had four officers from the US Air Force Academy. I dont know the details of how they came to BUD/S but I understand they were stellar performers in school. One graduated, his name was Doolittle (I shit you not) and the other three did not. My boatcrew leader in Hellweek was one of them, Defazio, a great guy and I was sorry he didnt stick around.

We had a former USMC officer turned LTJG. Again, I dont know what process he went through to leave the USMC.

I wish I could offer a better answer Sir, but thats all I can recall about classmates from other branches.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Don't quote me, but I remember hearing that NSW is trying to increase in size. Maybe instead of relaxing standards to increase numbers, they figured they'd just start drawing from a larger pool (Navy AND CG) to keep quality up? Just a stab in the dark.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guess it's possible, but doesn't sound like it'd be big enough a program to make any big impact on NSW manning. And if you just wanted a bigger pool to draw from...why the CG? They've just got a whole different mission. What does the CG gain from doing this and what does NSW gain?

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
If a Coastie wanted to be a SEAL, why not join the Navy in the 1st place?
Umm...a modicum of self respect?:D

Seriously, I saw the information included a POC from the Deployable Operations Group (DOG) that was recently stood up. I'm guessing they are going to get some add'l training with the SEALS that will aid surge LE/Homeland Security Ops in the future with the DOG. If they are going to be with a team for four years prior to serving as part of the DOG that is remarkably far-sighted. I'm curious as to all of the reasoning, as well.

What is the DOG, you ask?
http://www.uscg.mil/comdt/articles/docs/dog.pdf

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Guess it's possible, but doesn't sound like it'd be big enough a program to make any big impact on NSW manning. And if you just wanted a bigger pool to draw from...why the CG? They've just got a whole different mission. What does the CG gain from doing this and what does NSW gain?

The CG gains a hell of alot of expertise in non-compliant ship boarding which NSW isn't really postured for or adequately manned for these days. Routine maritime interdiction is custom built for the CG. The Coasties that make it and spend 5 years at a SEAL Team, will return to change the face of CG special operations. You can also bet that a CG guy with a Trident will have instant credibility when he returns to the fleet. Also keep in mind you don't learn anything at BUD/S besides how to take a good beating. All your experience comes from SQT and time in the Team. 5 years is the generally accepted minimum experience level (or used to be) to be considered seasoned enough to lead other SEALs.

NSW gains a lot of "hired help" for a relatively short term contract. Hell until 9-11, most kids went through BUD/S, did a couple of deployments and got out within a 5 year period. It's a win/win for both organizations.