• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CDR Scott Waddle USN (Ret) presentation

squirt

Well, during my time in the Navy, what you've described is the exception which proves the rule. The Navy is closer to a true meritocracy than most any corporate environment in the world, so you might want to think twice before bashing it undeservedly as just another old boys club. If you really believe what you're saying, then you're wildly uninformed.

Brett

Whoa dude...Im not bashing ANYONE. All I said was that I dont find it all that disturbing. Im not surprised by the fact someone gets promoted because they are an ass kisser or a backstabber...there are plenty of them in the Navy and out of the Navy.

I also havent "described" anything other than backstabbing and kissing ass is commonplace AS WELL as promotions based on true accomplishments.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoa dude...Im not bashing ANYONE. All I said was that I dont find it all that disturbing. Im not surprised by the fact someone gets promoted because they are an ass kisser or a backstabber...there are plenty of them in the Navy and out of the Navy.

I also havent "described" anything other than backstabbing and kissing ass is commonplace AS WELL as promotions based on true accomplishments.

Appology accepted...dude.

Brett

MasterBates

So for how much longer is it acceptable you call you dude?

Please inform of the date it will be supplanted by "Your Excellency" or "your hinge-ness"

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

I understand whay you're saying. The Navy is certainly full of those who are willing to fuck their buddy to get ahead and full of capable leaders and officers who work hard to get what they get. Same goes on the outside is my guess. Unfortunetly, often timing works into the picture and either type can make their way to the top. I've seen both. CDR Waddle had to do what he thought was right to make up for a big error. People died and thats a hard one to live I think. I believe he's sincere but I only know from what I read.

BTW, you certainly don't need to apologize to anyone here, you said nothing that is in need of an apology.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Don't know too much about Waddle nor have I formed any opinions ... it was a BIG deal in the Honolulu media at the time .... it's interesting and instructive re: local attitudes, however, to sit over a beer and listen to the local Longshoremen verbally rip the Japanese crews on the "fishing school" ships as they handle their own lines at their berths @ Aloha Tower ... the local Moke's "strongly dislike" them, shall we say ... ???

From overhead I once saw Waddle (later confirmed) and another SSN doing some kind of surfaced high-speed "tail-chase" while coming back to the mouth of Pearl -- definitely a couple of cowboys --- this a couple of months prior to the accident.

He did have a nice little place onboard Pearl in Capehart Housing, however .... :)

When there is a mistake: the Navy always eats it's own ... that's the way of the world.

squirt

I understand whay you're saying. The Navy is certainly full of those who are willing to fuck their buddy to get ahead and full of capable leaders and officers who work hard to get what they get. Same goes on the outside is my guess. Unfortunetly, often timing works into the picture and either type can make their way to the top. I've seen both. CDR Waddle had to do what he thought was right to make up for a big error. People died and thats a hard one to live I think. I believe he's sincere but I only know from what I read.

BTW, you certainly don't need to apologize to anyone here, you said nothing that is in need of an apology.

Thanks man...although I really wasnt apologizing to anyone. Just letting Brett live his dream...:)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
...I was very impressed with how he went to Japan and apoligized to the families personally.
How long did it take him to do that? I remember something about the families of the dead wanted to have the apologies face-to-face, but there were concerns about him being arrested.

I also remember a flurry of letters to the Navy Times after he went on Larry King and instead of stepping up and simply saying it was his responsibility, and "the responsibility of the commanding officer for his or her command is absolute", he went into great detail about the mistakes made by the crew. I did not see the interview, but many letter writers were in a froth wondering why this guy did not just accept that with command goes responsibility for what happens, and retire quietly.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Guys, let me clear up what I said. I would rather see someone who makes a (serious) mistake and take the blame for it and do what is right to correct it make it to the top rather than those general officers to get there not on their talents as leaders and officers, but on their talents as ass-kissers and backstabbers.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Navy Admirals and have only met a couple. They seem like class acts to me. The same goes for the AF, but I do know of those guys who have an agenda (like the single seat, single engine fighter mafia in the AF that wants to kill the A-10) and they will promote whomever will get a vote going their way, not the best way for the military.

Back on topic: I believe CDR Waddle spoke at CNU a while back. I missed the opportunity to see him, but I'll pick his book up anyway.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Guys, let me clear up what I said. I would rather see someone who makes a (serious) mistake and take the blame for it and do what is right to correct it make it to the top rather than those general officers to get there not on their talents as leaders and officers, but on their talents as ass-kissers and backstabbers.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Navy Admirals and have only met a couple. They seem like class acts to me. The same goes for the AF, but I do know of those guys who have an agenda (like the single seat, single engine fighter mafia in the AF that wants to kill the A-10) and they will promote whomever will get a vote going their way, not the best way for the military.

Back on topic: I believe CDR Waddle spoke at CNU a while back. I missed the opportunity to see him, but I'll pick his book up anyway.

What you said was fine, clear as day to me. As a rule of thumb, all types will make it to the top. Some deserving, some not so much. I assume thats the same for all walks of life.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
While that's a nice sentiment, someone who's contrite about a huge fuck-up is still guilty of committing a huge fuck-up. His contrition after the fact shouldn't serve as a get out of jail free card. Your stereotyping of senior officers is disturbing.

Brett

I couldn't agree more. I know several people who served on the Greenville during the incident, and while he may have visited the families in Japan, and may be on tour describing his story for the "greater good" the way he ran his ship that day and the climate of his command ensured that a major incident was just a matter of time. To this day he takes a reasonable amount of responsibility (as he should), however every interview I've seen with him he also goes in great detail about how his crew failed him that day too. The biggest part of how his crew failed him is how he ran his piloting and navigation teams. Very little oppurtunity was given for watch team backup, which is a critical attribute of safe submarine operations. When you don't allow your crewmembers to provide you with their input, you're going to break something or kill someone given enough time. Anyone that's a human will feel bad about sinking a ship full of student fishermen. A real captain will admit that he sank a ship full of student fisherman and leave it at that, the blame rests on him and him alone. Until I see CDR Waddle say something to that effect, my opinion of him will not change.