• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CDR Scott Waddle USN (Ret) presentation

Mango

pilot
Scott Waddle spoke at our safety standdown today. If you don't know, he was the Skipper of the USS GREENEVILLE, the sub that surfaced under a Japanese fishing vessel, killing 9 fishermen. When I heard he was speaking, my initial reaction was: "Great. This is like the guy who got a DUI lecturing us on the perils of drinking." But after nearly two hours of a very vivid recollection, I was humbled to have heard his side of the story. I feel like he really owns his error. Anyone seen this lecture or have an opinion on the collision? Any bubbleheads?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Scott Waddle spoke at our safety standdown today. If you don't know, he was the Skipper of the USS GREENEVILLE, the sub that surfaced under a Japanese fishing vessel, killing 9 fishermen. When I heard he was speaking, my initial reaction was: "Great. This is like the guy who got a DUI lecturing us on the perils of drinking." But after nearly two hours of a very vivid recollection, I was humbled to have heard his side of the story. I feel like he really owns his error. Anyone seen this lecture or have an opinion on the collision? Any bubbleheads?

He spoke at a leadership lecture at USNA a few years ago. I had pretty much the same reaction. I walked out of the auditorium under the impression that he took full responsibility for what happened... he pretty much said "I was CO, we made a grievous error, and as CO, its ultimately my responsibility".

NUFO06

None
I read his book and saw him speak in Vermont. Very humble and genuine sounding guy. It takes a big man to own a mistake like that...I was very impressed with how he went to Japan and apoligized to the families personally. He makes a great point about how our society doesnt admit or own a mistake anymore because we are taught at a young age how if we admit guilt, we could face being sued in court.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was very impressed with how he went to Japan and apoligized to the families personally.

Max rep points to him for that gesture, which I'm sure was from his conscience and not due to lawyer's advice. Concur that in this litigious era that too many individuals hide behind lawyers and doublespeak. He was a shining star in sub community and destined for higher rank until the unfortunate incident in which procedures were not followed. He took the blame immediately and I respect him for that immensely.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Max rep points to him for that gesture, which I'm sure was from his conscience and not due to lawyer's advice. Concur that in this litigious era that too many individuals hide behind lawyers and doublespeak. He was a shining star in sub community and destined for higher rank until the unfortunate incident in which procedures were not followed. He took the blame immediately and I respect him for that immensely.

It's unfortunate that he wasn't promoted beyond and put in charge bigger and better things seeing as how I would rather work for this guy who takes responsibility when something happens rather than the "backstabbers" who end up getting to join the general officer country club.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Agree with everyone else here, and am only posting to emphasis the amount of character he showed, in my humble opinion. It makes me think of that quote that, something as "in distress a man is tested, for then his character is revealed".

I had the pleasure of hearing him speak and he seemed to be a very genuine individual. His presentation was top notch.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's unfortunate that he wasn't promoted beyond and put in charge bigger and better things seeing as how I would rather work for this guy who takes responsibility when something happens rather than the "backstabbers" who end up getting to join the general officer country club.

While that's a nice sentiment, someone who's contrite about a huge fuck-up is still guilty of committing a huge fuck-up. His contrition after the fact shouldn't serve as a get out of jail free card. Your stereotyping of senior officers is disturbing.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While that's a nice sentiment, someone who's contrite about a huge fuck-up is still guilty of committing a huge fuck-up. His contrition after the fact shouldn't serve as a get out of jail free card. Your stereotyping of senior officers is disturbing.

Brett

....concur and though he avoided "jail", he now speaks for $10,000 an engagement so his presentations better be good as that's a top shelf speaking fee.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read his book..........very good in my opinion.

Here's a link to excerpts from his book.

250px-Book_cover_the_right_thing_by_scott_waddle.jpg

BTW, his choice for a lawyer was Charles Gittins who was winged as a RIO when USMC opted to retire their Phantoms so he fought to go to legal school instead of talking a slot at Ft Sill as an artillery officer that was offered to him. Charles has gone on post USMC JAG career to defend some of more newsworthy cases in aftermath of Tailhook and knows his trade.

Mango

pilot
Heyjoe,
I did see the $10k/engagement. However one of the guys that helped set up our safety day told me that this engagement was gratis. I don't have confirmation of that. He did state that the proceeds of his book sales go to charity. In fact, I didn't have $20 on me for a book. I asked if I could send him a check, but instead he handed me a copy, asking only that I make a donation to a charity of my choice. A small gesture for sure, but seems to be in line with his whole personality.

squirt

Brett

I dont find it all that disturbing...its just like working for any other corporation in America. Many people are promoted simply because the are ass kissers or backstabbers. Many people are also promoted more for what they actually accomplish. During my time in the Navy I've seen both.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heyjoe,
I did see the $10k/engagement. However one of the guys that helped set up our safety day told me that this engagement was gratis. I don't have confirmation of that. He did state that the proceeds of his book sales go to charity. In fact, I didn't have $20 on me for a book. I asked if I could send him a check, but instead he handed me a copy, asking only that I make a donation to a charity of my choice. A small gesture for sure, but seems to be in line with his whole personality.

I doubt Navy is paying his fee to speak and he may be doing some engagements gratis out of goodness of his soul, but then again, it may be part of a marketing campaign and gives him a writeoff against the fees he does receive.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dont find it all that disturbing...its just like working for any other corporation in America. Many people are promoted simply because the are ass kissers or backstabbers. Many people are also promoted more for what they actually accomplish. During my time in the Navy I've seen both.

Well, during my time in the Navy, what you've described is the exception which proves the rule. The Navy is closer to a true meritocracy than most any corporate environment in the world, so you might want to think twice before bashing it undeservedly as just another old boys club. If you really believe what you're saying, then you're wildly uninformed.

Brett