• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CCP for AD military

theduke

How many active duty guys out there have a concealed carry permit?

I'd like to get mine, but not being able to bring firearms on base makes it prety much worthless. There just aren't that many times when I'm going somewhere when there isn't at least a chance that I'll be stopping on base for something (if not work, then gym, commissary, etc). Of the remaining times I leave the house, if you take out places where I can't carry (bars, etc), and places where I wouldn't carry (beach, etc), it just isn't worthwhile to even bother with getting the permit, in my opinion.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Why would you want to carry on base? Are you afraid for your safety when you go to the PX? Even as a relatively paranoid person, I see no need for me to carry on base. That being said, all my firearms are registered with PMO, and I occasionally take the time to secure my pistol/ammo in accordance with both NC law and guidance from PMO. But only if I really need to get something from base while I'm carrying, because it can be a pain in the ass. With the majority of the gate guards being either disgruntled FAPs or the new Marine Corps Police Force with some John Wayne shit to prove, it's not worth the risk.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that as you move from place to place, the odds of you going to base without going home are rare. In other words, there will be plenty of times to carry and not go on base. My neighbor teaches a CCP class and seems to stay pretty busy with it (he is a squadronmate of mine). As one who knows next to nothing about firearms I am still in favor of getting one.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
It cant hurt to get it. Even if its only for those few and far between times.

Bevo16

pilot
Why would you want to carry on base?

It's not carrying on base that he is worried about, it's carrying in places between home and base/base and home that is the issue.

Come do a tour in Millington and see if that changes your attitude. I have a buddy who was on his lunch break in town (this is in Millington, not #2 crime rate in the country Memphis 15 miles to the south) and he came out of the restaurant as his truck was being robbed. The cracked out thief went at him with a broken bottle before running off.

As unemployment goes up and crime spikes with it, carrying on base might be something that CO's have to re-visit. I am lucky to have a commute that does not take me through any bad areas. I don't usually make any stops between work and home (not a safety thing, I just don't need to), but if I go inside the city of Memphis, I am armed. I carry my gun to church. That may shock some folks, but it's just the way it is here.

utak

With the majority of the gate guards being either disgruntled FAPs or the new Marine Corps Police Force with some John Wayne shit to prove, it's not worth the risk.

You forgot to add "female Master-at-Arms with attitudes" on the list ;)

I don't carry on base and definately don't keep any in the car. I've had my car searched several times at the gate by overzealous MAs who get kicks pulling over a flight suit-wearing officer for a "random" vehicle inspection, and the consequences if getting caught with a weapon would be . . . less then stellar to my progress in the pipeline.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How many active duty guys out there have a concealed carry permit?

I'd like to get mine, but not being able to bring firearms on base makes it prety much worthless. There just aren't that many times when I'm going somewhere when there isn't at least a chance that I'll be stopping on base for something (if not work, then gym, commissary, etc). Of the remaining times I leave the house, if you take out places where I can't carry (bars, etc), and places where I wouldn't carry (beach, etc), it just isn't worthwhile to even bother with getting the permit, in my opinion.

Dude, this is Oak Harbor we're talking about, not South Central LA.

Brett

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I got my CCW permit in the spring of 2007 and have never carried. Most of my commutes were from home to work. Truthfully, I didn't carry around town because I don't conceal my G19 all that well. As long as you are disciplined about not just leaving the weapon in your car, there are plenty of opportunities for you to carry around town. Maybe it'll just be something you do on weekends when you shouldn't have to worry about going on base.

If you try and bring your guns on base w/o permission...your face will be on the pavement at some point!

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I have one. I almost never carry. But when I do, I'm glad I can.

If for no other reason, the class is usually some good training, and it's another tool you can file away in the bag of trick for when you might need it.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I carry. I've had the permit about a year and a half. If I'm not going to the base or drinking, I have a pistol on me. The simple truth is that crime happens everywhere. Sure, the chances of it happening in some quaint little town are slim compared to the Bronx, but the bottom line is that you don't want to be caught with your pants down when Murphy's Law strikes. Regardless of your local crime rate, it only takes one crazed perp to kill you---so why not give yourself the best chance of survival at ALL times?

Just my $.02

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Bevo, I understand where you're coming from, but that's not what I was getting at. I understand the 'places in between' argument, and I wholeheartedly agree. I just read the dude's post as he wanted to carry on base. Maybe just a function of not having any coffee before I posted.

And I've been to Millington. I spent the better part of a year there--admittedly before the whole 'gangsta' craze--for my enlisted A school in '96. There were some shitty places even then, several of which I was forcefully ejected from. I was so uncouth in those days...

theduke

Why would you want to carry on base? Are you afraid for your safety when you go to the PX? Even as a relatively paranoid person, I see no need for me to carry on base.

No, no, I don't give a shit about carrying on base. The problem is that I can't just keep a pistol in my car all the time, or leave a pistol in my car while I'm on base.

Dude, this is Oak Harbor we're talking about, not South Central LA.

Ha, not anymore, though. I'm at Cherry Point now. Not that there is terrible crime around there, either, but as a gun owner, I'd like the ability to actually carry. It just isn't worth the time, trouble, or expense when I'd almost never be able to do it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Perhaps you didn't see my post about the first place I lived in Havelock, but this place isn't exactly crime free. Theft, drugs, assault and even murder do happen fairly frequently here. Go to Ed's Gun Shop East on a Saturday, take the class from Ray, and get your permit. It's cheap, easy, and as an added benefit, your concealed carry permit doubles as your background check for handgun purchases. So no more driving to the sheriff's office every time you want to buy one. That alone is well worth it, trust me.

MasterBates

I would like to be able to carry on base.

As I live on base, I basically can NEVER use my CCW because I can't take it on and off base.

Add in overzealous gate guards who think they are Jack Bauer, and it's not fun being a gun owner living on base. But they let "Hunt Club" members on base to shoot.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Ya think yer safe on base? I did till some crackhead jumps the fence on Mawell AFB right next to the elementary school and base housing last week... cops cruising around my house, ask em whats up... they break news to me and never find the dude.
All the houses here are usually left open (not any more), most folks have guns under mattresses (I will never check shit into armory or whatever rule says), would have been interesting standing in front of the "Base wing" Commander guy explaining the dead POS in my living room and my request to move off base paid on his dime...

Georgia had pretty easy CC requirements, need to take a class. Still struggling with the if you pull it you gotta use it idea, popping someone in my Dachau like abode here would be easy.. lots of rules out in town.