• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CCP for AD military

MasterBates

I was a witness to an assault right in front of me, less than 40 yards from where I live here on base. It was for lack of better terms, a deranged individual.

He damn near bit a guys face off. You read that right.

When I was stationed at NS Mayport, I would have to drive home thru some less than nice neighborhoods on my way home. When I was in the RAG I lived in what could be best described as a shady apartment complex. No ability to carry. My ex wife was mugged in the parking lot there after she brought me dinner when I was SDO. So even though the base may be "Safer" remember that the base PD can't be everywhere, just like the real world, keep in mind that there are some less than mentally stable people there just like the rest of the world, and more than just Mil and Dependents have base access in most places.

I say a valid CCW combined with perhaps a local course/registration should allow CCW on base, with you either putting the weapon in a RSL/Safe at work, or keeping it in a lockbox in the car.

FWIW, NS Mayport used to permit us to keep shotguns in our trucks for going to the skeet range after work. NASCC or NASK? Fuhgettaboutit.

BaconUSMC

pilot
Bates,
Please let me know if you are carrying on base, preferably before I tell you the grade for the flight...Bacon

MasterBates

So how many aboves are these worth?
1010761largeyt5.jpg

See this thread for reference:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145631

I thought you had seen that when you asked me today at the SDO desk.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How many active duty guys out there have a concealed carry permit?

I'd like to get mine, but not being able to bring firearms on base makes it prety much worthless...

Not so: GET IT while you can and while it's still relatively painless. Get training. Learn the laws concerning the use of deadly force.

Carry where you can/where you want ... don't where you can't/where you don't want ...

In some jurisdictions, it bypasses the x-day "waiting period" when purchasing ... there's yet ANOTHER reason to "do it".

Game over.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
Anyone know of any places in Corpus that are friendly to military folks looking to get their CCP?

I am headed down there for Primary in a couple weeks and heard that Texas was the place to get it because it had reciprocity with 30+ states.

navy09

None
They are pretty similar, but FL gets you NV and OH, whereas TX doesn't (it does get you MN though).

Probably the biggest reason is that FL only recognizes resident permits. So unless you're a TX resident, you can't use your TX permit in FL. But a FL (non-resident) permit will work in TX.

Check out the maps to see which is best for you, but it would seem that unless you frequent MN you're better off getting a FL permit.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
PA is a great one, if you're a resident. It's very cheap ($20 in some counties for 5 years I believe), no class required, and all you need is a clean record and a pulse.

Taking your weapon on base isn't that big of a deal. I just got back from New Orleans for Mardi Gras. I stayed at NAS Belle Chasse. I brought my G26. I carried it until just before I got on base. Pulled over, cleared it, threw it in the case and locked it. Threw the magazine in the center console. I informed the PO at the gate that I had a firearm I wanted to declare. He asked me if it was unloaded and I said yes. He didnt ask to see it---just told me to head over to Base Security after I dropped off my stuff where I was staying.

I went into Base Security and told them I wanted to check a firearm. They had me fill out two forms with the weapon information and some personal information. They had me bring the weapon in and checked it to make sure the serial numbers matched up and entered the information into their computer system. Lastly they printed out an authorization form that I had to keep with the weapon. They said that as long as I kept it unloaded in my vehicle and didn't bring it into the BOQ/BEQ I'd be fine. They thanked me for registering it and sent me on my merry way. I'd simply clear the weapon before the gate and throw it in its box, separate from the ammo. When I left the gate I'd pull over, load up, and head out onto the mean streets of NO.

I'm not certifying that all of this information is correct---this was just my experience and it was very positive.