• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cash for Booger Eaters!

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Targeted at the 2003 yeargroup. $40k is nothing to sneeze at, but is also an indication that we are hemorraghing 1630 JOs. (And they aren't affiliating in the Reserves, either. When is someone going to toss something my way? Hey Llama, how about something, you know, for the effort?")

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/41A3355C-B6DC-468F-898C-243117790948/0/NAV08347.txt

RAAUZYUW RUEWMCS0000 3400235-UUUU-RUCRNAD
ZNR UUUUU
R 050235Z DEC 08
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
TO NAVADMIN
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
BT
UNCLAS //N01300//
NAVADMIN 347/08
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/DEC//
SUBJ/FY-09 INTELLIGENCE OFFICER CRITICAL SKILLS RETENTION BONUS
PROGRAM//
RMKS/1. THIS NAVADMIN ANNOUNCES THE FY-09 INTELLIGENCE OFFICER
CRITICAL SKILLS RETENTION BONUS (CSRB) FOR QUALIFIED INTELLIGENCE
OFFICERS, AND SUPERSEDES NAVADMIN 226/07. THIS IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF
THE NAVY'S OVERARCHING EFFORT TO SIZE, SHAPE, AND STABILIZE THE FORCE
WHILE ENCOURAGING SAILORS TO STAY NAVY TO MEET CURRENT AND FUTURE
PERSONNEL READINESS REQUIREMENTS.
2. THE INTELLIGENCE CSRB IS TARGETED TO SPECIAL DUTY INTELLIGENCE
OFFICERS (DESIGNATOR 163X) PERMANENTLY APPOINTED TO THE RANK OF
LIEUTENANT, SERVING ON THE ACTIVE DUTY LIST (ADL), WHO HAVE FULFILLED
THEIR MINIMUM SERVICE REQUIREMENT (MSR) FROM COMMISSIONING AND
COMPLETED AT LEAST SIX YEARS COMMISSIONED SERVICE (YCS). OFFICERS WHO
AGREE TO REMAIN ON ACTIVE DUTY AS INTELLIGENCE OFFICERS FOR A MINIMUM
PERIOD OF FIVE YEARS WILL RECEIVE 40,000 DOLLARS IN CSRB.
A. QUALIFIED INTELLIGENCE OFFICERS WILL RECEIVE A PAYMENT OF
20,000 DOLLARS FOR THE FIRST YEAR OF A FIVE-YEAR INTELLIGENCE CSRB
CONTRACT AND 5,000 DOLLARS PER YEAR FOR THE REMAINING FOUR YEARS.
B. FOR FY-09, THIS PROGRAM WILL TARGET OFFICERS IN YEAR GROUP 2003.
C. NO CONTRACTS ARE AVAILABLE THIS FISCAL YEAR TO PREVIOUSLY
TARGETED YEAR GROUPS.
3. QUOTA LIMITATIONS, COMMANDING OFFICERS (CO'S) ENDORSEMENT, AND
PROGRAM DELEGATION.
A. ANNUAL CSRB CONTRACT QUOTAS WILL BE ALLOCATED BY YEAR GROUP,
BASED ON LIEUTENANT COMMANDER REQUIREMENTS FOR THE INTELLIGENCE OFFICER
COMMUNITY.
B. COMMANDING OFFICERS SHALL ENCOURAGE QUALIFIED INTELLIGENCE
OFFICERS TO SUBMIT APPLICATIONS FOR INTELLIGENCE CSRB AND MUST ENDORSE
ALL REQUESTS IN WRITING. COMMANDS MUST ENSURE APPLICATIONS ARE
ACCURATE AND VERIFY APPLICANTS MEET THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, AND
HAVE NO PENDING ACTIONS WHICH MAY RENDER AN APPLICANT INELIGIBLE FOR
THE INTELLIGENCE CSRB. APPLICATION DELAYS INCREASE THE LIKELIHOOD
COMMUNITY QUOTAS WILL BE FILLED BEFORE AN OFFICER'S APPLICATION IS
RECEIVED.
C. INTELLIGENCE MILITARY AND CIVILIAN PERSONNEL DIVISION (OPNAV
N21/N131I) IS DESIGNATED AS THE INTELLIGENCE CSRB PROGRAM MANAGER AND
IS DELEGATED THE AUTHORITY TO:
(1) EVALUATE THE ELIGIBILITY OF INTELLIGENCE OFFICERS APPLYING
FOR INTELLIGENCE CSRB;
(2) ACCEPT INTELLIGENCE OFFICER AGREEMENTS TO REMAIN ON ACTIVE
DUTY FOR THE STATED PERIOD IN EXCHANGE FOR AN INTELLIGENCE CSRB; AND
(3) ADMINISTER THE INTELLIGENCE CSRB PROGRAM PER APPLICABLE
LAWS, DOD DIRECTIVES/INSTRUCTIONS, AND THIS NAVADMIN.
4. ELIGIBILITY. APPLICANTS MUST BE NAVAL INTELLIGENCE OFFICERS AND
MEET THE FOLLOWING ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
A. QUALIFIED AND SERVING AS AN INTELLIGENCE OFFICER (DESIGNATOR
163X) ON THE ACTIVE DUTY LIST;
B. FREE OF ACTIVE OBLIGATED SERVICE INCURRED THROUGH ORIGINAL
COMMISSIONING PROGRAMS;
C. PERMANENTLY APPOINTED TO THE GRADE OF LIEUTENANT;
D. MEDICALLY AND PHYSICALLY QUALIFIED FOR ASSIGNMENT TO SEA OR
FIELD DUTY;
E. ABLE TO COMPLETE THE CSRB CONTRACT WITHOUT EXCEEDING 25 YEARS
OF ACTIVE SERVICE;

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I think this bodes well for any JO that wants to redes.....
but who really wants to be a 1630 dweeb??

USNMark

Meanwhile another thread discusses officers who stand potentially to be administratively canned for various reasons.... :(

Shpion1

Contributor
Where they are really hurting is in the O4 area. if you look at the criteria, 6 years in, plus the 5 years of the obligation, you are growing some hinges. With intel selecting at the 8-9 year point, you've got at least 1 O4 tour out of them, maybe convince enough to stay longer.

In 2001 when I was at IP, this was in the CNOs inbasket somewhere. After 9/11, a lot of guys pulled their letters and it went on a backburner. then several years later, it wore off and they dusted it off.

Overall I think it helps retain some numbers but doesn't solve the problem. The guys that were going to stay in, will and take the bonus (know a couple prior Es that did). Those that were going to get out, still will. You should see what a 1630 with 6 years of experience or more with a TS/SCI and a lifestyle poly gets in the beltway. Some that were thinking of getting out, that you may NOT want to stay in, will, and will likely select for 04.

This manning problem has been around for a quite a while. Instead of lookng at the whole Manning issue, how to increase billets (high demand, low density), how to better pay for our billets instead of the current arangement (we're paid for and controlled (in a way) by by the other warfare areas), we just pretend it's not that bad. Oh well, in the intel world, sometimes we are our worst enemy and don't fix the problem, we just apply bandaids. What do I know, I'm retired now.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
. THE INTELLIGENCE CSRB IS TARGETED TO SPECIAL DUTY INTELLIGENCE
OFFICERS (DESIGNATOR 163X) PERMANENTLY APPOINTED TO THE RANK OF
LIEUTENANT,

Does this mean that these folks cant be promoted past LT? because that is certainly how it reads to me.

Carlos Caliente

None
It means no LTJG's or below need apply. A permanent appointment to O-3 is when your name is on a list, your skipper promotes you and you are getting paid for it.
A non-permanent appointment to LT is when your skipper frocks you to LT, you wear the railroad bars but are still getting JG pay. Highly dubious but done nonetheless.

Carlos Caliente

None
Negative. I don't know the details, but a temporary promotion to LT is an LDO sort of thing.

I was thinking more along the lines of frocking. Officer frocking is a nebulous subject, but JG's have been told to wear LT bars on certain ships where the airwing/ship working relationship is rough, myself included. Dubious? Yes. Illegal? Maybe.
Not placating SWO LT's when they demand you call them Sir? Priceless.

FlyinSpy

Contributor
Lamas can grant total consciousness...llamas can only carry stuff up and down mountains. No bucks for you...:)

Big hitter, the llama....

Golfing2.gif

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Those that were going to get out, still will. You should see what a 1630 with 6 years of experience or more with a TS/SCI and a lifestyle poly gets in the beltway.

Badabing...

A recent search of clearancejobs.com for those positions requiring said clearance in the DC area yielded 2,285 job listings.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was thinking more along the lines of frocking. Officer frocking is a nebulous subject, but JG's have been told to wear LT bars on certain ships where the airwing/ship working relationship is rough, myself included. Dubious? Yes. Illegal? Maybe.
Frocking has been going on for decades and there is nothing illegal about it. Up until the early-1990s, frocking was almost automatic for everyone from 0-3 to 0-6. Around then, a message came out stating frocking all to O-3 was still approved but for O-4 to O-6 the officer had to be serving in a billlet assigned that rank to be frocked.

Of course it might have changed since I retired in 1998.....

FlyinSpy

Contributor
Frocking has been going on for decades and there is nothing illegal about it. Up until the early-1990s, frocking was almost automatic for everyone from 0-3 to 0-6. Around then, a message came out stating frocking all to O-3 was still approved but for O-4 to O-6 the officer had to be serving in a billlet assigned that rank to be frocked.

Of course it might have changed since I retired in 1998.....

Frocking isn't illegal, just a major red-ass to get formally approved. Letters to BUPERS, being in specific billets, Senate confirmation - you can read the instruction here: http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives...Promotion and Advancement Programs/1420.2.pdf

Of course, "informal" frocking still does occur. Or so I've heard... :)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

As a JG I walked past a SWO LT once, who proceeded to flip out for not saluting him. I just smiled, waved, and kept walking. I think he may have dropped a nut his face got so red.