• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaerose

I've figured all that stuff into some of the planes I've been shopping for...and it's still as cheap as (if not cheaper) than a new car. Not to mention that it's much cheaper than renting. Say you wanted to go from 0 hours to a PPL...it will cost you from 5-7k, unless you have some hook-ups. Why do I want to pay them all that money and still come back to rent later? I'd rather pay myself.

Also, don't forget that unlike cars (but like homes) aircraft are capital assets, which means they usually appreciate in, or hold their value and you get some serious tax write-offs...like the interest you pay, depreciation, maintenance etc. Don't get me wrong, though...someday I'll have my 68 Camaro SS and my 400mph WWII warbird (that way I can compensate for others who cannot afford to compensate)...just not quite yet =)

JR

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
What kind of figures are you coming up with jaerose? I've not seen an airplane sell for under a hundred grand. Are you planning to split costs with someone else or something?

trvsmrtn

pilot
I have just under a year till commissioning and I bought a 2003 Celica GTS with ground effects and spoiler package. I'm already flying.

jaerose

jboomer,

What kinds of airplanes are you looking at? You can find smaller/older planes for around 25-35k. I'm not talking about buying a brand new skyhawk, or anything. I just want something that's going to serve my needs now. I actually have been offered a Tomahawk from a guy who's moving to Japan and just needs to sell for what he owes on it...he just wants $15K and it flies fine (it needs the Nav replaced for about $150 bucks, but oh well).

There are affordable planes out there...someday I'll buy a newer one, but for now I just want to get into the air. Check listings on www.ebay.com and www.aircraft.com and you'll see some for a decent price. On aircraft.com they sell military and warbirds, too. You can buy a small L-39 training Jet for 150k...maybe I'll go that route later in life.

JR

Valion310

I'm thinking either a lifted CJ-5 or 7 ... or else a vette for sure, convertible...

Just make you have car covers in P-cola, from what I remember of parking on the sea wall, those durned seagulls like to drippidy-droppidy all over the cars.

Valion310 out-

jwgross

ea6bflyr - Top Gun went out????? Why didn't anybody tell me?? Great, time to scrap the beach volleyball game. Sorry, JR. I guess it's just not cool. :)

I just want a new car because I've never had one. Heck I've never even owned a car at all. This is just a good excuse. :)

Can you really buy a used warbird for a reasonable price? THat would be the ultimate in bad-ass. I'd even go for a facsimile, like those P-38 lookalikes. While I'm dreaming, why not just get my own P-38... oh, wait, because they're all buried under a million pounds of ice. Still, getting an old warbird and refurbishing it would be really f'in cool.

Josh

PS Frumby, congrats on the promotion.

jaerose

If they're in top shape and refurbished, they can be really steep. You would have to do some work. I have a little plan on how I (actually my corporation) will own some aircraft and not really have to pay for them...I'll share at OCS...mwa-ha-ha!

JR

Oh...and I'm still playin' volleyball, cool or not...maybe some basketball, too.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I meant the "Top Gun" loose cannon mentality (Maverick)....if you know what I mean. That reminds me, anyone seen the SNL "Iceman: the later years" video.....Too funny!

Here's a rule that applies here:
Never buy anything that Flys, Floats, or F**ks. (Three F rule)
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's a REALVIDEO link of "Iceman: The Later Years"...http://meetchrisparnell.4point5.com/audio/iceman-v.ram
and the script version:
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00giceman.phtml
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

dufault.2

Hey Gross and JR-I thought I warned you guys earlier about that volleyball game.
I had a 01 Prelude SH-but the insurance and speeding ticket costs were getting too high. Frumby mentioned buying a truck so he wouldn't speed and it works. I did the same thing. Right now I've got a 03 Ranger XLT that I am in love with.
Anyone else like the mid/late 80's Monte Carlo SS (regular-not the aerocoupe) or the Buick Grand National? Those things (the GN especially) are bad assed. I wouldn't mind a black Stingray with t-tops either. Wishfull thinking right now, eh?

dufault.2

Hey Gross and JR-I thought I warned you guys earlier about that volleyball game.
I had a 01 Prelude SH-but the insurance and speeding ticket costs were getting too high. Frumby mentioned buying a truck so he wouldn't speed and it works. I did the same thing. Right now I've got a 03 Ranger XLT that I am in love with.
Anyone else like the mid/late 80's Monte Carlo SS (regular-not the aerocoupe) or the Buick Grand National? Those things (the GN especially) are bad assed. I wouldn't mind a black Stingray with t-tops either. Wishfull thinking right now, eh?

thatmanjose

Back to the FO question... i got sucked into a desperation Kia Rio 2 years ago... 2 cars broken down in 2 months... rough time. But the car is so underpowered, only a pilot could have had the nerve to name it a RIO!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I tend to think of myself more like the Lincoln Navigator
icon_smile_wink.gif
LOL
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.