• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cars during deployment, what to do with them...

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Find a friend who is married. Ask if you can park the car at their house and have her drive it around the block or to the grocery store every few weeks. As a wife, I've babysat cars, changed desiccants in gun safes, checked on storage units (for a 3 year overseas tour), watered plants, and more.

Take advantage of your friends' decision to get married. It's all the benefits of having a spouse (minus the sex), without the expense!

Givemeinfo

Find a friend who is married. Ask if you can park the car at their house and have her drive it around the block or to the grocery store every few weeks. As a wife, I've baby sat cars, changes desiccants in gun safes, checked on storage units (for a 3 year overseas tour) watered plants, and more.

Take advantage of your friends' decision to get married. It's all the benefits of having a spouse (minus the sex), without the expense!

Ha that's a great idea! Good thinking

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
According to your profile, you haven't even made it to OCS yet. Worry about selling or keeping your car for deployment is way down the list of concerns. You don't even know where you'll be stationed to even know how your housing situation will play out, so there are really so many unknowns that you'll just have to be patient.

That said, when you get back from being at sea for 6-9+ months, do you really want to bum a ride from someone just to get off the boat and go home? Keep your car. Trust me.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What Gator said. And if nothing else, if you're a bachelor, you can rent closed storage for a reasonable rate during a deployment, probably less than you're making by shutting the cable off, turning off the water, and dialing the heat down. And you'll still make bank.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What Gator said. And if nothing else, if you're a bachelorette, you can rent closed storage for a reasonable rate during a deployment, probably less than you're making by shutting the cable off, turning off the water, and dialing the heat down. And you'll still make bank.
FIFY

Givemeinfo

According to your profile, you haven't even made it to OCS yet. Worry about selling or keeping your car for deployment is way down the list of concerns. You don't even know where you'll be stationed to even know how your housing situation will play out, so there are really so many unknowns that you'll just have to be patient.

That said, when you get back from being at sea for 6-9+ months, do you really want to bum a ride from someone just to get off the boat and go home? Keep your car. Trust me.

I'll keep a car, thanks for the info, and no I haven't changed my profile but I got a call from my OR recently letting me know I'm pro-y.

And I understand it may seem like I'm jumping the gun but perhaps I have reasons that I don't feel like I need to share as to why I need to figure out my situation ahead of time.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
I hated doing that, largely because I am not at all sure all those guns were legal in CA (a 50 cal rifle?, among others) so I was always looking over my shoulder as I opened the storage locker.
I've seen too many .50 BMG rifles at my local gun range to question their legality in CA. You're very nice to have done this for a deployed bud...

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I've seen too many .50 BMG rifles at my local gun range to question their legality in CA. You're very nice to have done this for a deployed bud...

It really wasn't a big deal. Maybe 3 times a year I tossed a desiccant in my oven, drove to a storage unit, and swapped out the desiccant. He'd gone to Japan and couldn't take his guns, and since we were staying in SD, it made sense.

I'm pleased to know, retroactively, that I wasn't skirting the edges of any laws! "No sir, they aren't my guns. I was just babysitting them," never seemed like it would fly in court.

BigRed389

None
I'm pleased to know, retroactively, that I wasn't skirting the edges of any laws! "No sir, they aren't my guns. I was just babysitting them," never seemed like it would fly in court.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_Caliber_BMG_Regulation_Act_of_2004

"The act required existing .50 BMG rifles to be registered with the state and prohibited the sale of any rifle after the ban went into effect. To quote the state web site, the act "regulates the .50 BMG rifles in essentially the same manner as assault weapons." The law specifically allowed a registration period of one year, now passed, to register any such firearms, after which unregistered weapons would become illegal firearms."

Surely they were registered...and you were never in any legal grey zones.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This all happened pre-2004, so I assume all was well.

You don't want to know what I just drove across (out of) CA a few days ago then. Amazingly, no violent acts were committed. But I'm thread jacking...probably because the OP has it all figured out now.

Last edited: