• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cars during deployment, what to do with them...

Givemeinfo

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth keeping my car and paying insurance while I'd be on deployment, or selling it. I'm hoping some people that have been through deployments can give me some insight on what single people do with their vehicles, or if it's worth even keeping one. I can't just have it sitting, so do most bases have a parking service where they turn on your car now and then? What kind of transportation should I expect to find on most bases?What to do, what to do...

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth keeping my car and paying insurance while I'd be on deployment, or selling it. I'm hoping some people that have been through deployments can give me some insight on what single people do with their vehicles, or if it's worth even keeping one. I can't just have it sitting, so do most bases have a parking service where they turn on your car now and then? What kind of transportation should I expect to find on most bases?What to do, what to do...

We had a car lot where people could drop off their car and then get bused to the boat. If you do this, make sure there is absolutely NO food in your car (seen many friends who came back with mice in their car and numerous mechanical / electrical problems because of it) and make sure you unhook the battery of your car. Otherwise, if you have a trustworthy friend at a different command, I know people who would leave their car at their place and have them turn it on once a month or every other week (depending on how much your friend liked you... ;) )

Most insurance companies have a "deployed" status for car insurance. It ends up either being dirt cheap or free (depending on the company) and should still cover your car, if it got hit by a tree or something, but that is about it.

Givemeinfo

We had a car lot where people could drop off their car and then get bused to the boat. If you do this, make sure there is absolutely NO food in your car (seen many friends who came back with mice in their car and numerous mechanical / electrical problems because of it) and make sure you unhook the battery of your car. Otherwise, if you have a trustworthy friend at a different command, I know people who would leave their car at their place and have them turn it on once a month or every other week (depending on how much your friend liked you... ;) )

Most insurance companies have a "deployed" status for car insurance. It ends up either being dirt cheap or free (depending on the company) and should still cover your car, if it got hit by a tree or something, but that is about it.

That's good to know, especially the insurance part! Do you think it's necessary to have a vehicle? What base were you located at?

Renegade One

None
Yeah to all of the above…options I've used:
1. Store car in parents' garage.
2. Store car in on-base long-term parking. They will usually offer the option of starting it up once a month, etc.
3. The insurance stuff is interesting. I never worried about it, but it's a good consideration, as long as no one is driving it…
4. Yeah to the "no food" and make sure it's clean beforehand stuff.

Givemeinfo

I will definitely get my car super cleaned out so I don't get rats :)

So what I'm getting out if this is that it's necessary to have a car, and I'll probably have to take it to a lot unless I meet some awesome people that want to take care of it for me.

Out of curiosity are there usually any other transportation methods available to get to base or within a base if it's large?

Thanks for your answers

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I was at Bangor Washington (Sub's) and our deployments were only 3-5 months long, so they didn't offer a start up service, but it may be different for those that go on 6-9 month deployments. Our lot was also gravel / grass in the middle of the woods, so mice were a pretty big problem.

As far as transportation TO base... we had none, except for the duty van. I knew a few guy who lived with other members of the command and they were carpooled to work, but generally we hated people who did that, because the watch bill always had to be tailored to make sure roommates had duty on the same day, and when you don't have very many people in the department and you are 3 section.... it gets old... fast.

If you don't see yourself needing a car, other than to get to and from work, I would check the "lemon lot". It has a pretty bad name, but basically it is cars that service members bought and decided not to move when they PCS'd or got out. So the base has a bunch of okay to really nice cars that have revolving owners. You can get a pretty decent car for extremely cheap and not have to deal with the expensive insurance when you are home and not using it very often.

Givemeinfo

I was at Bangor Washington (Sub's) and our deployments were only 3-5 months long, so they didn't offer a start up service, but it may be different for those that go on 6-9 month deployments. Our lot was also gravel / grass in the middle of the woods, so mice were a pretty big problem.

As far as transportation TO base... we had none, except for the duty van. I knew a few guy who lived with other members of the command and they were carpooled to work, but generally we hated people who did that, because the watch bill always had to be tailored to make sure roommates had duty on the same day, and when you don't have very many people in the department and you are 3 section.... it gets old... fast.

If you don't see yourself needing a car, other than to get to and from work, I would check the "lemon lot". It has a pretty bad name, but basically it is cars that service members bought and decided not to move when they PCS'd or got out. So the base has a bunch of okay to really nice cars that have revolving owners. You can get a pretty decent car for extremely cheap and not have to deal with the expensive insurance when you are home and not using it very often.

Wow that sounds interesting, I'll definitely look into it. I'm leaning toward keeping my car if it's not too expensive, it's a good car and I just didn't want it to get all messed up sitting around for long periods of time.

We were watching my grandmas car because she comes back and forth from Argentina, but even with turning it on now and then and driving it (very little), it still ended up needed a lot of repairs.

I can see how car pooling can be a pain if you don't have the same schedule, and it's not like at this point I know anyone.

Do most bases have similar car lot accommodations? Do most cars come out of them in pretty good condition?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Do most bases have similar car lot accommodations? Do most cars come out of them in pretty good condition?

In Hawaii the lot is a dirt lot, with no cover. I came back after 6 months and trashed the car cover I had put on it, and it took the better part of an hour to cut out all the weeds and small trees that were growing up through the wheels.

Next deployment, I just overinflated the tires, changed oil, and put it on a battery tender in my garage. Much better experience. Started right up, no complaints.

Were I single for the second go, I'm not sure the loss of BAH would have been worth it to keep the car garaged, but I was married, so I was stuck paying for the house anyway.

North Island, OTOH, has covered carports in a paved lot, walking distance from the pier.

As far as going car-less, I've never seen a base anywhere with "good" accommodations for the car less. North Island is not good, Norfolk is impossible. Kaneohe, for example, is full of very junior sailors and marines who can't/don't buy cars and you see them shuffling around everywhere in the hot sun like zombie extras on a Walking Dead set.

That said, after a deployment, you will find yourself with enough cash on hand to seriously consider taking on an IV drug addiction. Buying a new car post-deployment is a time-honored Navy tradition. Just, make sure and do it with cash, not the $1000 down, 54.9% APR financing most of my TEDs seem to want to use every time . . .

Givemeinfo

In Hawaii the lot is a dirt lot, with no cover. I came back after 6 months and trashed the car cover I had put on it, and it took the better part of an hour to cut out all the weeds and small trees that were growing up through the wheels.

Next deployment, I just overinflated the tires, changed oil, and put it on a battery tender in my garage. Much better experience. Started right up, no complaints.

Were I single for the second go, I'm not sure the loss of BAH would have been worth it to keep the car garaged, but I was married, so I was stuck paying for the house anyway.

North Island, OTOH, has covered carports in a paved lot, walking distance from the pier.

As far as going car-less, I've never seen a base anywhere with "good" accommodations for the car less. North Island is not good, Norfolk is impossible. Kaneohe, for example, is full of very junior sailors and marines who can't/don't buy cars and you see them shuffling around everywhere in the hot sun like zombie extras on a Walking Dead set.

That said, after a deployment, you will find yourself with enough cash on hand to seriously consider taking on an IV drug addiction. Buying a new car post-deployment is a time-honored Navy tradition. Just, make sure and do it with cash, not the $1000 down, 54.9% APR financing most of my TEDs seem to want to use every time . . .

Hahaha I don't want to be a zombie. You have to use your BAH to have cars garaged? I can't just pay them?Maybe I'll find myself a husband to take care of my car before all this.

Renegade One

None
So what I'm getting out if this is that it's necessary to have a car...Out of curiosity are there usually any other transportation methods available to get to base or within a base if it's large? Thanks for your answers

Um…I may be mixing messages, or "mis-reading questions" here…but keep reading...
So…and, hey!…you're going to/trying to be an officer, yes? Yeah…you want/will need a personal vehicle…for myriad reasons. Car-less is just no way to live. "Dress for the job you want…not the job you have."

Roger to the whole point about "upgrading the ensign-mobile" after first deployment, but don't go carless before that. You'll just make it hard on yourself and your buds...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I couldn't imagine going through flight school without a car...especially in the Pensacola area. You will need a car and you should have enough funds to cover it. Some of my fellow sailors were able to use alternate transportation (bus, bike, ferry, train, etc) when stationed on the ship. It's a bit harder when stationed in a squadron due to some of the occasional odd hours you'll end up working when preparing for deployment.

Givemeinfo

Um…I may be mixing messages, or "mis-reading questions" here…but keep reading...

So…and, hey!…you're going to/trying to be an officer, yes? Yeah…you want/will need a personal vehicle…for myriad reasons. Car-less is just no way to live. "Dress for the job you want…not the job you have."

Roger to the whole point about "upgrading the ensign-mobile" after first deployment, but don't go carless before that. You'll just make it hard on yourself and your buds...

I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping my car for awhile. I'm also deciding between my car and another car, and which one to sell, so if it's not going to be in the best condition environment I know which one to keep. I just want to make an informed decision, and I figured people who have been there would know better.

I appreciate all the information.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Look, this is something your command is going to help everyone out with, so don't worry too much about the logistics of getting to the ship the day you leave for deployment. They will most likely find a long-term lot for you and utilize a duty van or bus to get you to the ship. If you don't like the long-term lot option, find a friend/family member who will let you park your car there and ask them to drive you to work that day.

You will need a car to commute to the base. You will not live in the barracks as an officer.

Unless you have a beater that you were planning on selling anyway or a lease that is expiring, you should keep the vehicle so that you can actually get home after deployment and get to work the next day.

You can call your insurance company and tell them you will be deployed. They will reduce the cost for you.

Givemeinfo

Look, this is something your command is going to help everyone out with, so don't worry too much about the logistics of getting to the ship the day you leave for deployment. They will most likely find a long-term lot for you and utilize a duty van or bus to get you to the ship. If you don't like the long-term lot option, find a friend/family member who will let you park your car there and ask them to drive you to work that day.

You will need a car to commute to the base. You will not live in the barracks as an officer.

Unless you have a beater that you were planning on selling anyway or a lease that is expiring, you should keep the vehicle so that you can actually get home after deployment and get to work the next day.

You can call your insurance company and tell them you will be deployed. They will reduce the cost for you.

Thanks for the reply, understood. I'll keep it and figure out where to put it when the time comes

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
On the other hand, if your credit isn't awful, and you're going through a reputable dealer, financing might be the better option if you can get a good rate (I wouldn't do more than 4%). And if you don't want to finance the whole thing, you can just pay a bigger down payment.

But in any case, whether using cash or financing, new or used car, USAA's car buying service is a pretty good place to start looking.