• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier training

gyrene

Marine SNA
your LAW set at 380 beeps multiple times in the approach turn on 19L. QUOTE]

another difference between Kingsville and Meridian:
why do you guys set your radalt for 380?

perhaps i'm discussing the obvious but the LSOs in VT-22 teach us to set it for the 90 at 450.

some would set it for 350 to remind themselves to make a ball call. but that's another story entirely...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
your LAW set at 380 beeps multiple times in the approach turn on 19L. QUOTE]

another difference between Kingsville and Meridian:
why do you guys set your radalt for 380?

perhaps i'm discussing the obvious but the LSOs in VT-22 teach us to set it for the 90 at 450.

some would set it for 350 to remind themselves to make a ball call. but that's another story entirely...

I think the theory is that when the RADALT is going off, you should be at the 45 seeing the ball. Of course, on 19L, that's not so.

Jedj

I was taught 450 for the 90 but in the RAG the technique was 370 at the 45. I got very used to that and used it all cruise. It was a nice compliment to crossing the wake. After a while however, I really never payed much attention and just started flying visually. Once you get the eyeball cal down it becomes easier, plus the whole ICLS thing will tell you what your start is going to look like. Just my two cents.

gyrene

Marine SNA
And your LSO's are right --- ALWAYS fly the BARO --- and backup with the RADALT --- any LSO who teaches different is .... well, different. And that's what the LSO school teaches, as well. There are LSO's ... and there are LSO's. Learn it right --- do it right.

i feel like this issue never got settled:
do LSOs in the fleet teach Baro and we in T-45 land merely fly Radalt for TRACOM purposes?
or do LSOs differ in their approaches to teaching the landing pattern?

VT-22 LSOs stress Radalt heavily. i'll have to ask them what they used in the fleet...

and another question:
if you were using the Baro for your approach turn would you set the Baro to the local altimeter setting or would you change the altimeter setting to effect an altitude that reflected the Radalt plus field elevation?

if you set the Baro to the latest altimeter setting couldn't you get errors up to 75'?

and if you rigged the altimeter to reflect Radalt plus field elevation you haven't taken into account elevation changes around the field or radalt readings off trees and such.

didn't anyone understand these questions... i'm not sure i even do now.

just trying to figure it all out...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been taught RADALT in the fleet. That being said, reread A4s post about your instrument scan. If you can build your scan around the boat to have the radalt (which is what I certainly do) then stick with that. I've gotta say though that a lot of how I fly is based purely on the sight picture. I cross-check how it looks to my altimeters (both) and see if it jives. And when setting the baro, I'll set it to whatever Marshall tells me. However I'd say that the error can be a lot more than 75' (especially at the boat). The reasoning for keeping my baro set correctly is because that's what the other traffic are having theirs set at. You wouldn't want to be off from everyone else, especially considering the Case I departure is 500' whereas the Case I pattern is 600' (with the 800' break).