• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier to be retired

MasterBates

Wow, I wonder if it is really going to happen..

First carrier I landed on, both as a pilot (60B), and as self loading bagage in a COD.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
JFK's finally gone ... FINALLY !!! It was a mess ... much like Ranger. I wonder how long it would have taken to die had it been named the USS Richard Milhous Nixon ???

Long live the 'Hawk. *sigh*

cv63kittyhawkhz6.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JFK's finally gone ... FINALLY !!! It was a mess ... much like Ranger.
For those of us who weren't around (well in the Navy anyway) then, what was the story with USS Ranger? Another underfunded post-Cold War political football? Wikipedia seems to have nothing to say on the subject . . .

Huggy Bear

pilot
I've heard rumors about this for awhile. Glad to hear they are finally carrying through. I've only been on nukes myself, and have heard nothing but bad things from my friends who've been on the connie, kitty hawk, and especially the kennedy. So the kitty hawk is the last conventional carrier than right? Any more word on it?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
For those of us who weren't around (well in the Navy anyway) then, what was the story with USS Ranger? Another underfunded post-Cold War political football? Wikipedia seems to have nothing to say on the subject . . .
Always a pig-boat ... always having major engineering casualties ... air conditioning down, cat's down, fresh water evaporators down, engine rooms down, dragging a screw behind her .... stuff like that. Plus, like the rest of the Forrestal's ... she had a BAD flight deck design/layout. The elevator locations were inefficient and poorly thought out, for example.

When you HAD to depend on a carrier ... the Ranger wasn't it .... she was a joke when I was in .... "anywhere but Ranger" was the mantra.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....heard nothing but bad things from my friends who've been on the connie, kitty hawk, and especially the kennedy. So the kitty hawk is the last conventional carrier than right? Any more word on it?
The 'Hawk has @ one more cruise left in her and I think she's comin' home .... next year .... ???

And just to be the exception that "breaks" the rule ... the 'Hawk was a great ship for most of the time I was on her ... one bit of engineering trouble dogged her for a while --- engine room explosion --- we actually went to abandon ship stations during the fire --- but she still made speed for flight ops with no natural wind and no bingo fields after the Joe's fixed her in Subic ... not bad for a temporarily sick ship. The rest of the time she was as good as any ....

Look at how long she's carried her weight. A pig-boat can't do that ... not for all those years.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Only one more cruise in her you say?? Thats what we say too and unfortunately the big navy heads think otherwise. Shes out of SRA soon and we'll be stuck with her till sometime in late '08 maybe '09. At one time the Kitty might have been nice, but that time isnt now...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the kitty hawk is the last conventional carrier than right? Any more word on it?
Yes, Kitty Hawk will the the last one if they do follow through with the decom of JFK....which they should. It's time. Good luck getting a nuke carrier in Mayport though to replace her.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, Kitty Hawk will the the last one if they do follow through with the decom of JFK....which they should. It's time. Good luck getting a nuke carrier in Mayport though to replace her.

Yeah, what's the plan/intent there. Is Mayport saying goodbye to carriers for now, or are they going to go ahead with their basin dredging/fuel facility plans? I'm sure the afternoon drive crowd isn't shedding any tears over her departure.

Brett

MasterBates

Last I heard, they were looking at a Nuke and/or an L-Class or 2.

Wonderwood apparently solved the evac issues (2nd road out of town) with a Nuke, Basin is deep enough. CVNs come in there a couple times a year.

The mornings are worse, normally. Wonderwood has solved most of the BAD Mayport Rd traffic issues.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last I heard, they were looking at a Nuke and/or an L-Class or 2.

Wonderwood apparently solved the evac issues (2nd road out of town) with a Nuke, Basin is deep enough. CVNs come in there a couple times a year.

The mornings are worse, normally. Wonderwood has solved most of the BAD Mayport Rd traffic issues.

The dredging was for the other side (north) where the fuel facility was supposed to go.

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Lot more than dredging that needs to be done if they're going to put a Nuc in Mayport. Hosting a nuc requires a bunch of shore facilites. It's taking some time to get the KH port ready and that's what's driving the KH coming home to San Diego for decom.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did the 2004 cruise on the JFK. It's like A-4's was reading from the post cruise report...

dragging screws, bad AC, CATS down, water hours, etc. It's kind of scary that right after our cruise the entire flight deck was downed. I don't think that all of the things that are wrong with her broke after cruise.