• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Landing Videos

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm sorry, as I flew my 150th night trap in the Hoover, the windshield wiper must have blocked out my view of the tailhook on the harrier. Wait, what is that, you don't even have one? My bad...I didn't mean to embarrass you in front of the other Naval Aviators.

Smilies in effect, I just got home from the hail & bail :icon_tong

Did you guys ever use the wipers? I guess I could ask our squadron S-3 bubba's. Our skipper is a prior ES-3 driver while we have two other former S-3 pilot's.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
the windshield wiper must have blocked out my view of the tailhook on the harrier.

Who needs a tailhook when you can hover? Besides, been there done that have the T-shirt.

And don't knock it till you've tried it!

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you guys ever use the wipers? I guess I could ask our squadron S-3 bubba's. Our skipper is a prior ES-3 driver while we have two other former S-3 pilot's.

The wipers were absolutely useless in flight and not very good on deck either. Once, after a trap in a very nasty thunderstorm I really needed them, it was raining so hard I couldn't see the yellow shirt w/o them.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in the day, the attachment bolt was used as a bomb sight because the little flip up thing intended to be a sight was useless as the wipers were on rain. Later, a former squadronmate developed a better sight I think was retrofited on all Hoovers.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You guys crack me up .... "Wipers"??? ...... please, the only time I used "wipers" was for .... well, you know what for ..... :)

Try well over 200 night traps --- every one stark terror; first to last --- with no needles, no ACLS, no Nuthin' .... except a substandard CCA with some controller who was IUT'ing on his job..... and then come talk to "us" guys about your "been there, done that" stories. Until then, ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz....................... :sleep_125

Or better yet, try the WW2 or Korean War guys --- they have some credibility AND nighttime @ the boat "horror stories" .... :)

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You guys crack me up .... "Wipers"??? ...... please, the only time I used "wipers" was for .... well, you know what for ..... :)

Try well over 200 night traps --- every one stark terror; first to last --- with no needles, no ACLS, no Nuthin' .... except a substandard CCA with some controller who was IUT'ing on his job..... and then come talk to "us" guys about your "been there, done that" stories. Until then, ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz....................... :sleep_125

Or better yet, try the WW2 or Korean War guys --- they have some credibility AND nighttime @ the boat "horror stories" .... :)

You're so salty.:icon_smil

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Is it normal to not wear the mask in an S-3? I always thought that in addition to breathing O2, the mask provided protection to the face in the event of ejection and ejection seat aircraft= O2 mask. Someone set me straight.