• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier deployments

KBayDog

3 weeks of worthless school in Lakehurst, NJ...

It's far from worthless. While at Lakehurst, you'll learn why you should never, ever move to the Democratic Peoples Republic of New Jersey.

(I was born and raised on the other side of the Wall; I defected to the United States when I was 18. I'm working on my autobiography, which will undoubtedly become a made-for-TV movie.)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's far from worthless. While at Lakehurst, you'll learn why you should never, ever move to the Democratic Peoples Republic of New Jersey.

KBay, if Guv Christie is lurking here, you just may end up in the Rahway 'Gulag'!:eek:
east_jersey_state_prison_ @ rahway.jpg
BzB

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

(I was born and raised on the other side of the Wall; I defected to the United States when I was 18. I'm working on my autobiography, which will undoubtedly become a made-for-TV movie.)

Here is a picture of KBay right before his daring escape. Unfortunately- the fat guy never made it...

etnies-kevin-smith-clerks-jay-silent-bob.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Close, but no blunt...er, cigar. Those are the stoners I used to chase away from the shitty video store I used to 'work' at.

KBay, circa 1995 (just prior to his daring escape):

randal-graves.jpg

Everything makes so much more sense. "It's the best of both worlds"

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only time it was good to go to Lakehurst was to learn how to do, 'Bag-overs'.

image59.jpg

Renegade One

None
I've got a question about deployments ...Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get all my facts right!
Please let me give you a bit of insight as you will perhaps only understand it later in life. A lot of folks will disagree, but here's my personal POV...
OBTW...if you're looking for "facts"...go to the encyclopedia. Here you only get personal opinions/experience, insights, observations, or (from some) "the company line" as it's being nozzled out of DC today:
1. If you want to join the Navy, you need to understand that "we do our thing" on cruise. We really don't do it here in CONUS. (Hey, lay off me about Katrina Relief and all that...I totally get it...but it's not the main thing...)
2. Aside from the airplanes you fly, and the life-long friends you make, your cruises are what you will most remember about your time in the Navy. They include the first two parts. I rarely reflect back on "the most bitching turnaround" I ever had.
3. On cruise is where you...and the Navy...realize a real "payback" for the world-class training you will receive, regardless of community. It's where the tax dollars pay off, and you really earn your pay for your first tour. 6 months...10 months...maybe more, maybe less...no prediction is accurate... As Doris Day sang: "Que sera sera...whatever will be will be...".
4. Liberty can run from almost none to okay to good to un-fucking-believable. Again, Doris Day said it best. But if "liberty" is what you really and truly joined the Navy to do..."You chose poorly."
5. Sea Duty is hard on families. The uncertainly associated with sea duty in today's world is even harder. Don't lie to yourself or your spouse (if applicable)...it can sucketh majorly. Hating it won't change it. If married, huddle up and plan to have a plan to get through it together. The good marriages get stronger. The "others" don't survive. Pick your own swim lane, I guess.
Hope that's additive to your thought processes. Cheers...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Please let me give you a bit of insight as you will perhaps only understand it later in life. A lot of folks will disagree, but here's my personal POV...

5. Sea Duty is hard on families. The uncertainly associated with sea duty in today's world is even harder. Don't lie to yourself or your spouse (if applicable)...it can sucketh majorly. Hating it won't change it. If married, huddle up and plan to have a plan to get through it together. The good marriages get stronger. The "others" don't survive. Pick your own swim lane, I guess.
Hope that's additive to your thought processes. Cheers...
This is a fact, learning this the hard way. In the end, make sure your family comes first, the Navy can give half a fuck about you, and they will discard you at the end of your career, if not earlier, but your family will still be there. If you are married, you better really sit down and talk with your spouse and understand what kind of mistress the Navy is...she will fuck you at every turn and you won't even get the befeit of a reacharound...
Pickle

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is a fact, learning this the hard way. In the end, make sure your family comes first, the Navy can give half a fuck about you, and they will discard you at the end of your career, if not earlier, but your family will still be there. If you are married, you better really sit down and talk with your spouse and understand what kind of mistress the Navy is...she will fuck you at every turn and you won't even get the befeit of a reacharound...
Pickle
Is this what you tell your troops when discussing their careers, or do you sugar coat it because your squadron needs to keep good people in the Navy? Just curious as to how you walk that line.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If he is honest and a good leader, he will tell his troops the truth. "You're a great Sailor and xxxxx. Both the Navy and the squadron need people of your caliber to succeed. If you get out you will be sorely missed and I hope you stay. But if you stay, you need to do it for the right reasons. You need to love your job and the Navy because the Navy is...she will fuck you at every turn and you won't even get the benefit of a reacharound..."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If he is honest and a good leader, he will tell his troops the truth. "You're a great Sailor and xxxxx. Both the Navy and the squadron need people of your caliber to succeed. If you get out you will be sorely missed and I hope you stay. But if you stay, you need to do it for the right reasons. You need to love your job and the Navy because the Navy is...she will fuck you at every turn and you won't even get the benefit of a reacharound..."
I'm interested in Pickle's answer - I already knew what yours would be. ;)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
With the advent of big-stick force shaping tools like ERB, it's tough to recommend treating the Navy as a career without large caveats. There are just too many uncertainties and variables beyond one's control to do so. If folks are okay with that uncertainty, good on them, but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Renegade One

None
Pickle
If he is honest and a good leader, he will tell his troops ...the Navy is...will fuck you at every turn and you won't even get the benefit of a reacharound..."

For both of you: I think that's waaay to harsh, but I didn't walk a mile in your flip-flops. Yes, the Navy can certainly be a sort of "mistress"...or whatever the current gender-neutral version of that might be. Hopefully for the better reasons...great and exciting job; being taught to fly great airplanes by some great folks who welcome you to their "long blue line"; best friends you may ever have; "the honor of the whole thing" (not an insignificant thing, in my book...whether you measure that internally or externally...); doing something that truly effing MATTERS to your country, etc.

But back to you and the Navy: Both of you were co-signatories to a "contract"...but only YOU took an oath. I doubt, if you and the best lawyers you can find sit down together and re-read the contract, that either of you will find a "contract violation". Hopefully, you adhered to your oath the whole time. Not really sure what you were reasonably expecting beyond that.
We've strayed a bit...just trying to get us back on track.

Carrier deployments can rock or suck. I only had seven...so I'm only a mere imp of Satan, I cannot claim to be one of his demons. I loved 'em all...mostly for different reasons that were only meaningful at the time. My family is probably more proud of them now than they were then. It defined us, but who knew or appreciated that at the time?

Bottom line: If this career sucks SO bad, why do so many want to stay and claim to be "fucked" when the final buzzer sounds?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bottom line: If this career sucks SO bad, why do so many want to stay and claim to be "fucked" when the final buzzer sounds?
If the evil Navy didn't keep dangling that lucrative retirement pay in front of their faces, it would be a lot easier for them to practice what they preach. :rolleyes: