• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier deployments

jacks

I've got a question about deployments , I hear they are 6 to 8 months on a carrier, are you on the carrier all the time for the duration of the deployment or is there a fair bit of liberty where you can visit foreign ports and say see the sights or your family? And how many years do you spend on Sea duty before you switch to a shore posting, and how long is that shore posting then? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get all my facts right!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got a question about deployments , I hear they are 6 to 8 months on a carrier, are you on the carrier all the time for the duration of the deployment or is there a fair bit of liberty where you can visit foreign ports and say see the sights or your family? And how many years do you spend on Sea duty before you switch to a shore posting, and how long is that shore posting then? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get all my facts right!
On average, while on deployment you'll get a port of call every month or so. Each port of call is about 4 days in length and you can expect to have duty at least one of the days in port.

The typical first sea tour is 3 years. You'll get about 2 deployments during your first sea tour.

-ea6bflyr ;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Should be 3 years sea and 3 years shore but it doesn't always work like that. I had 3.5 years sea and 2.5 shore.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
.......is there a fair bit of liberty where you can visit foreign ports and say see the sights or your family?

Depends. I once spent 144 days at sea without a port visit. Last port was Naples, Italy. Next stop was Norfolk, VA. Nothing in between but Mediterranean Sea, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, water, water, and more water. At least we got to go flying. Poor non-aviator types were stuck.

http://www.uscarriers.net/cvn68history.htm

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
3.5 Sea, 2 years shore, 2 years sea here.

Dude, don't make me up you one!! :) I did 3.5 sea, 2.5 shore, 2.0 sea, 2.0 shore, 1.0 overseas tour, finish out career. There was transit time and sitting on my ass a lot in between sometimes.

MasterBates

Burn. You can retire out of Clownjetland. I'm just a reservist without a flying billet at the moment. You win.

MasterBates

No, but I did talk to HRF today about my SELRES package. I'm not sure if being the Kat Kreator is worth much, but it can't hurt!

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
No, but I did talk to HRF today about my SELRES package. I'm not sure if being the Kat Kreator is worth much, but it can't hurt!
Next time you talk to HRF give him crap for missing my retirement ceremony and party for some BS work trip ...but also thank him for sending his wife. I'd rather talk to her anyways:)

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Gouge for Conus based CVN's tends to run as others have said. Its a 36 month tour and you deploy for 7+ months. (Big Navy is pushing for deployments to average over 9 months) Don't forget that you aren't just gone for deployment. The 6+ months before you leave on deployment is spent mostly gone from home as well. CQ, JTFX, TSTA, COMPTUEX, ARP, Airwing... Then you come home, hopefully get a break, and maybe do that once more before you leave. Some people only do 1 cycle, others only spend 3-4 months home and go right back out, its the luck of the draw.

For FDNF, expect 2 deployments a year, every year. 4-6 months gone in the summer and 2-3 months gone in the winter. However you don't do any of in-out workups prior, unless the boat needs to re-CQ.

First shore tour is 30 months. After that it largely depends on your timing, quals, etc.

exNavyOffRec

Gouge for Conus based CVN's tends to run as others have said. Its a 36 month tour and you deploy for 7+ months. (Big Navy is pushing for deployments to average over 9 months) Don't forget that you aren't just gone for deployment. The 6+ months before you leave on deployment is spent mostly gone from home as well. CQ, JTFX, TSTA, COMPTUEX, ARP, Airwing... Then you come home, hopefully get a break, and maybe do that once more before you leave. Some people only do 1 cycle, others only spend 3-4 months home and go right back out, its the luck of the draw.

For FDNF, expect 2 deployments a year, every year. 4-6 months gone in the summer and 2-3 months gone in the winter. However you don't do any of in-out workups prior, unless the boat needs to re-CQ.

First shore tour is 30 months. After that it largely depends on your timing, quals, etc.

Interestingly enough out of all the deployments I have done, both pre and post 9/11 not a single one was over 6 months, don't know how that happened but it did.

One thing to remember is with nuclear powered carriers there is only so much EFPH, so long deployments now is fine, but the shutdown time will come, either at the expense of not doing training at sea, or having to adjust deployments later. I can tell you that it doesn't take much over a 6 month deployment to skew an EFPH plan.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
CNO said not too long ago to expect CVN deployments to be 8+ months and amphib deployments to be even longer.