• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier deployments

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Plexiglass and grease pencils? I dunno…never heard or felt there was a particular methodology to it. There probably was…but it was well above my pay grade and not the sort of thing I cared about. Certainly not "6 out" and "18 home". Cruises were about 6-8 months, and about 10-12 months turnaround. It was never the same for me twice, that's all the fidelity I can put to it.

The standard IDTC in the 90's through September 11th 9-11 was a 6 month deployment, followed by a surge period for 3 months, then stand down of about 6 months, Work ups would last approximately 9 months (TSTA I &II, TSTA III/C2X, Airwing Fallon, JTFEX, then deploy again for 6 months.
Pre-9/11 a cruise going longer than 6 months was an abbiration.

I can't speak to how it was done in the 70's and 80's.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Yeah I got "dumbed" in another thread over a benign post. I assume it was the same reason.

I did that before when using my IPAD, and went to quickly remove the rating. I sent a PM to ensure the OP realized I made a fat-finger error.

Renegade One

None
You want to talk about people skills? Your unsolicited concern for my language is not desired nor appreciated.
And how exactly do my parents interest you R1?

Here is EXACTLY what I want leadership to say: "Times are tough and money is tight. In order to meet these fiscal restraints we are going to need to squeeze everything we can out of our training and deploy more regularly for a longer period of time. I know our people are strong and can support these further burdens on our equipment and most importantly themselves and their families."

Something like that would have worked. Not "this is going to be better for you because it will be more predictable." We have a current plan for deployments and we all see how predictable that is.
Okay…fair enough. I guess I'm the only one who actually believes your leadership has said what you wanted to hear, time and again.

We've been down this "my leadership sucks" path WAAAAY too many times in the last several months. I'm bugging out of this one before it again goes nuclear.

Renegade One

None
The standard IDTC in the 90's through September 11th 9-11 was a 6 month deployment, followed by a surge period for 3 months, then stand down of about 6 months, Work ups would last approximately 9 months (TSTA I &II, TSTA III/C2X, Airwing Fallon, JTFEX, then deploy again for 6 months.
Pre-9/11 a cruise going longer than 6 months was an abbiration.

I can't speak to how it was done in the 70's and 80's.
The first part sounds like you've done your homework…so I can't push back. I'm sure it's true.

My only defense is that I gave up squadron command in December of 1990, so didn't experience enough of it for me to retain it, I guess.

Renegade One

None
But R1, you were our leadership...
Yeah, I never really liked you guys…but I'm working on it to this very day… ;)

Did you really think you'd EARNED Waikiki, Cubi Point (too many times to mention…even though the Statute of Limitations has expired?), Sasebo (my first…and second..and maybe third Kobe Steak), Hong Kong, Singapore, Pattaya Beach, Singapore (again) , Perth, Rota, Naples, Palma de Majorca, Barcelona (yes…our squadron wives "rode the boat" from Palma to Barcelona), Marseilles, Trieste, Venice, Split, Alexandria, uh, Singapore again…. Probably more I don't remember.

Then there was 9/11/2001…and many things changed. So let's be honest…I went to maybe better places…but YOU GUYS (and GALS) have done more hard work in your time than I was ever required to do in my time. I TOTALLY get that part. A part of me envies you all.

"Thirty years from now…when we're all sitting around with our grandchildren on our knees"…I may envy you even more.

Thanks to all for your service over the last 11 years. I do wish I'd been afforded the opportunity to shape it for some of you. Woulda been nice….

phrogpilot73

Palma in the summer.... I don't know if it can get better than that!!
Never got to go to Palma.

First deployment (8 months): Crete, Malta, Rota, and the sandbox in UAE.
Second deployment (7 months): Al Asad, Iraq
Third deployment (envy of all my peers, because of the number of port calls): Marseille, Toulon, Civitavecchia x 2, Limassol x2, Dubai, plus a number of exercises and real world shit.